HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.1.12 released - security update

2»

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

We have incremented to 2.1.12p3 to fix the avatar regression bug. Apologies for the inconvenience.

• unixherounixhero
    edited October 2015

I just had a failed upgrade. The updater script fails, have tried it 10 times.
    All plugins are disabled and debugging = TRUE in the conf file. Ini files cleared from cache.

Now when I am trying to comment on any thread in the forum I'm getting a Vanilla Installer left-sidebar popup, and the forum does not allow the comment being posted.

To be sure this behavior also appears when I try to revert to my unpatched runtime files from my previous v2.1.x version.
    To be sure x2 I do also have a database backup.

How can I get this away?
    My last option will be to backtrack and roll back my database and runtime files to yesterdays backup, but I want to avoid it.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@unixhero

What updater script?

Which version were you updating from?

• unixherounixhero
    edited October 2015

@wnu606 : From 2.1.11 -> 2.1.12p3
    I did as the update instructions said, unpacked the files into my main forum folder.
    Ran the "updater script" as I call it is the one you see in my second screenshot here. Located at $forumurl/index.php?p=/utility/updater

Since it is acting like this with my patched files on 2.1.12p3 files as well as my old backup, I assume that its a database flag that's been set.
    Should I run the installer that pops up when I make a comment on a thread???
    Or update further to the 2.2 beta perhaps?

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited October 2015

Have you run DB Structure upgrade?

I use this addon http://vanillaforums.org/addon/utilitylinks-plugin to get the link to it (Links appear in the Dashboard.)

• unixherounixhero
    edited October 2015

I did DB Structure Upgrade, and the other recalculation in that plugin. It didn't fix it. :( Thanks for the suggestion tho. I will look in the database and see if I can find a toggle for this installer to disappear. If not I have to roll back tomorrow I guess.

• I too hit a snag with the update, and even after all of the suggested resolutions it continues to say the update failed. I am thinking this is a bug.

• unixherounixhero
    edited October 2015

Great work on the security update, it looked like you fixed a few pressing things!
    [SOLVED]
    I tried running the installer wizard that appears on the screen in the screenshot above. Really bad idea. It nuked the entire GDN_discussions table! "BAM! You’ve got a sweet forum" post being placed there. Luckily I had ample database backups.
    After dropping all tables from the database and importing a backup I did before trying the installer wizard, I am happy to say that the wizard is gone and the forum seems functional again.

This experience reminded me of my many travails with Simple Machine Forums and PHPBB. Luckily I'm battle hardened and so is my community (haha).
    [SOLVED]