HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla is adding unit tests and Travis-CI

We currently have our first functioning unit test along with Travis-CI integration on a feature branch. It will be making it's way onto master branch very soon.

IMPORTANT: If you currently clone our repo directly to your web directory, we strongly recommend not deploying the /tests directory. While we'll strive to make it as foolproof as possible, the bottom line is that it's bad security practice to have tests in a web directory, so be safe and leave it out. :)

Travis-CI will check all pull requests with our unit tests to make sure they don't break anything when merged in. It's going to be a very long, slow process to add unit tests over time to increase our coverage. The more coverage we have, the more unlikely it will be that we accidentally do things like introduce regression bugs or violate our PHP compatibility.

Our test coverage will include:

• PHP 5.4
  • PHP 5.5
  • PHP 5.6
  • PHP 7.0
  • HHVM

As a reminder, 2.2 will be the last Vanilla release to support PHP 5.3.

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

This is great news!

I assume this means it will be relatively easy to create unit tests for addons?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@hgtonight said:
    I assume this means it will be relatively easy to create unit tests for addons?

I'm not sure this is figured out yet, but we're working on it.

• chanhchanh OngETC.com - CMS Researcher ✭✭

That is interesting! automated test service!

• This is great, it is goign to save you time long term.

grep is your friend.

• Rly Great to Hear That ;)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2015

you might want to test with travis on vanilla 2.2 with 5.3 as well.

then it might find this bug.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/31099/cant-sign-in-or-out-after-new-install#latest

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited November 2015

@peregrine said:
    Hey Linc, I found a short array syntax usage in the 2.2 release branch so I created a quick pull request.

Huh, looks like my Quote button auto-corrects passive-aggressive comments. Neat!

Oh well, figured it out anyway. https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/pull/3267

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2015

@Linc said:

@peregrine said:
    Hey Linc, I found a short array syntax usage in the 2.2 release branch so I created a quick pull request.

Huh, looks like my Quote button auto-corrects passive-aggressive comments. Neat!

Oh well, figured it out anyway. https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/pull/3267

@Linc said: Hey. Peregrine, thanks for the catch before the imminent release. I appreciate it.

Huh, looks like my Quote button auto-corrects passive-aggressive replies as well.

I was serious about unit testing with php 5.3 on vanilla 2.2 - if you find that aggressive, its your issue.

I don't and can't use github due to the limitations of my setup, its your choice if you want me to post issues for you on the forum, or I can just ignore notifying you as well if I find a bug.

glad you were able to file the pull request yourself based on info and were able to add more fixes.

what does "gimme" mean?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@peregrine You came into an unrelated discussion about progress the team achieved and made a shitty comment about not catching it. That is the goddamn definition of passive-aggressive. Try filing an issue (LIKE THIS ONE) when you find something rather than finding a parade to rain on.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@peregrine said:
    what does "gimme" mean?

It means it's an easy sign-off. Nothing complicated to evaluate.

@peregrine said:
    I don't and can't use github due to the limitations of my setup,

What, a Raspberry Pi hardwired to only access this website? GitHub's accessibility is probably even better than ours is. I can't imagine a setup that would give you access to this site but not that one.

@peregrine said:
    its your choice if you want me to post issues for you on the forum, or I can just ignore notifying you as well if I find a bug.

I would greatly prefer no help to help wrapped in a shitty attitude. I get complaints about your attitude constantly and I'm just sick of it and I'll be damned if I'm tolerating it personally.

@peregrine said:
    if you find that aggressive, its your issue.

Turns out, as the community manager, that's not the case. It's yours.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2015

@peregrine said:
    what does "gimme" mean?

linc said: It means it's an easy sign-off. Nothing complicated to evaluate.

thanks. was wondering about what a few of the labels mean.

linc said on November 4th: Our test coverage will include:
    PHP 5.4
    PHP 5.5
    PHP 5.6
    PHP 7.0
    HHVM

I said: you might want to test with travis on vanilla 2.2 with 5.3 as well.

linc said on November 8th: Try filing an issue (LIKE THIS ONE)

ok. I missed that one. simple enough.

Great to see: that your issue on November 6th relating to unit testing with php 5.3 on vanilla 2.2. I hadn't noticed since this discussion was first initiated on november 4th. I hadn't noticed it on github and it wasn't mentioned in this discussion prior to my suggestion. I am sorry I did not see it on github, otherwise I would not have suggested it. I am sure it will be quite helpful in weeding out issues.

@peregrine said:
    I don't and can't use github due to the limitations of my setup,

linc said: What... I can't imagine...

In any event, it is still true ... I don't and can't use github due to the limitations of my setup. No need to argue the point. I know by empirical evidence.