Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Administrator / Moderator Eyes Only Posts

I'm using Vanilla Forums for a Play By Post gaming system and I would really like to have "Notes" inside the same thread which only I (a moderator/administrator) can see.

So far the only way I know to accomplish this is to make an entire category which has restricted access, but that's far less convenient than putting the information I want inside the same "thread" / discussion and simply making it visible to me only.

So what I would really like to have is:

1. Opening Post of Discussion
  2. Response / Post by a User
  3. Post by Me, Administrator, visible to everyone
  4. Response / Post by a User
  5. Post by Me, Administrator, of notes visible to ONLY ME
  6. Post by Me, Administrator, visible to everyone

Something along those lines so I could keep my "game notes" right in line with the conversation, but NOT make it where every player can see my notes.

Any way to accomplish this?

Thank you in advance! :D

Answers

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@EllisBenus said:

Any way to accomplish this?

Yes! I am not sure anything like this exists right now.

How long of notes do you want to store?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

@hgtonight said:

Yes! I am not sure anything like this exists right now.

How long of notes do you want to store?

Yes it's possible, but nothing exists now?

I'm not sure. As long as a post is allowed to be.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I would suggest creating a plugin that adds your notes to the Comment table Attributes field. The model provides a convenience getters and setters for attributes.

Then you just need to check permission before loading the notes inline.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Could you point me toward some documentation that explains the pieces you just described?

I'm a WordPress and PHP developer so I'm sure I can figure it out, but any help is appreciated. Thank you.

• Options

What about using Role & Permission based CSS? For example, I could wrap Game Master comments in a

notes

then have a CSS rule for everyone but moderators/administrators that sets those to display none.

Do you know of a way to accomplish this?

However, everytime I put in a div and add a class the default editor removes it...?

• Options

Css is client side, so therefore it is easily overuled.

grep is your friend.

• Options

@x00 said:
    Css is client side, so therefore it is easily overuled.

I totally agree, but my players 1) don't' know much CSS and 2) realize it's in their best story playing interest not to look at my notes.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I could do an inline comment hidden from everyone but me (moderator/administrator)?