HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Removing obsolete addons & themes from the directory

LincLinc Detroit Admin

What do we think is an appropriate timeline for removing a plugin or theme that has not been updated AND is incompatible with the current version of Vanilla?

I think that, right now, it's reasonable to remove anything that was never even made compatible with 2.1. But that's a really wide, permissive window. Should we only allow plugins to be 1 version out of date? Or a time window from a new release? Or just keep being laissez-faire until it gets silly like a 2.0.18 plugin hanging around in 2016?

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited December 2015

If you can create an archive for 2.0 and the plugins where people can still access but are not out there confusing people if they do not work for 2.1 or 2.2.

I only have one theme I have not updated, but the rest are good and the plugins too.

• subdreamersubdreamer San Jose, CA

Set up an email notice for developers asking them up update their plugin(s) or theme(s) so they are compatible with the latest Vanilla release. Maybe include a reasonable deadline. If no changes are made, then move their files to a graveyard archive.

• I agree with the email notice and the version filters with the current version being filtered on as standard.

I also think the versioning needs to be more exact for the extension itself. Sometimes it is too broad, and you can predict the future. I misleading give the impression that it is compatible, when it was made before the current version.

I also think that now that have to clearer time frame, maybe beta is the time to warn people to get ready.

People who have a lot plugins do need some time. I never routinely updated at beta stage, however come to think of it it might be a good idea. Would follow some convention.

Self pruning is also a good idea. No point keeping tor has the author has not intention of maintaining.

I think i asked for by vanilla 1 extensions to be removed.

grep is your friend.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I would welcome if they are all accessible and searchable, but can be filtered out. They can still serve as sources of inspiration and even if they are outdated, parts of them might be reused

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

I don't really like the idea of the addon directory being a software time capsule and adding more selectors & code to accommodate that.

• @Linc said:
    I don't really like the idea of the addon directory being a software time capsule and adding more selectors & code to accommodate that.

I think anything that improves quality and stability is a good thing so users should be made aware if something has been tested on the version of vanilla they are using.

I have some plugins which Iḿ no longer going to support or are no longer relevant.

I agree that the priority should be on the latest stable version an maybe the next beta. It would be a good idea to be able differentiate

It would be good to be able to include he meta of which versions of the framework the addon has been tested on.

grep is your friend.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Considering some people have used the addons directory as a repository of sorts, I don't think it is ridiculous to archive the addons rather than straight delete them.

I get not wanting to support old code with new code as well.

Pretty fence I am sitting on.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.