HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Premium Theme Licensing?

Hello all,

I'll be making some custom, premium theme for Vanilla.

And I would just like to ask what will be the licensing model for this premium themes?

Thanks in advance :)

Best Answer

Answers

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

If you create it on your own it is your property and as such you are free to give it whatever license you like.

If you duplicate an existing theme, you would have to look at the license of the theme in order to decide what you are allowed to do.

• @R_J Thanks for the response.

Yes, I'll be creating my own, probably rewrite most of the CSS and markup where possible.

However, I'm confused because Vanilla is GPLv2. So Vanilla themes are not like WordPress where its themes has to be GPL too?

• You just can't bundle it with Vanilla. You can't use the addon directory. You have to host it yourself. Any resources you use must be compatible with the licence.

grep is your friend.

• @x00 said:
    You just can't bundle it with Vanilla. You can't use the addon directory. You have to host it yourself. Any resources you use must be compatible with the licence.

Does it mean that I can't bundle MIT-licensed stuff such as jQuery plugins in my theme?

• MIT is a permissive licence so yes you can use it.

grep is your friend.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Yay, more premium themes!

Feel free to ask questions if you get stuck trying to implement something.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.