Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

VanillaStats have flatlined after 2.2 upgrade

jamesincjamesinc Sydney ✭✭
edited June 2016 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hey all,

Looking for some help debugging this one. Since upgrading to 2.2.1 (from 2.1.13) my vanilla stats charts have gone dead.

Weirdly, the page views chart hasn't gone to zero, but it has dropped by over 80%. Actuals remain unchanged, and Google Analytics also shows normal traffic to the site.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Edit: additional info - I also upgraded the DB to utf8mb4 to support Emoji. Not sure if this is of any relevance.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Did you perchance change your installation id in the /conf/config.php file?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited June 2016

Are you getting Javascript errors on pages? That tick event is fired asynchronously.

• Options

@Linc, no, no JS errors to speak of. I can see a successful XHR to /settings/analyticstick.json

• Options
    edited June 2016

The thing that bends my mind the most is that I'm still getting a trickle of data for page views. The numbers look wrong - about 1/10 of actual views, but they're clearly actual numbers (they vary up and down day-to-day in an organic fashion).

@hgtonight have confirmed the installation ID and Secret in my config have not changed.

• Options
    edited June 2016

I solved it.

I have added $Configuration['Garden']['Analytics']['Enabled'] = true; to my config.

Notes

1. VanillaStats documentation indicates it is not necessary to explicitly enable analytics. It only refers to adding a line to config.php to explicitly disable analytics.
    2. I had a look through my repo logs to see if at any point in the past I've had this line was in my config.php, and it has never been there before.
    3. Despite the collection of data apparently being disabled, the dashboard charts continued to render normally, but with zero-values
    4. Despite the collection of data apparently being disabled, the dashboard charts were still showing a trickle of page views. What is that about?

• Options

I take that back. The graph has gone back to showing nothing. The return to normal you see in the graphic above has disappeared.

I'm now wondering if this is interference from a dev copy of the production site. In the past the dev site has never interfered with analytics, but I've disabled analytics on it anyway, and removed the installationID and secret just to be safe.

• Options

Confirmed: the issue seems to have been some kind of stats cross-talk from the dev copy of the site. Kind of strange that it started happening now when it had been setup this way since 2013.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

There were some routing changes in Vanilla 2.2, so it's possible the server was relying on the software's previous non-standard behavior.