HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.2.1 now available

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@collents said:
    I am a bit worried about the upgrade process going wrong on me when I read comments like this

The hundreds (thousands?) of people upgrading with no issue tend to not bother commenting. :)

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@Linc said:

@collents said:
    I am a bit worried about the upgrade process going wrong on me when I read comments like this

The hundreds (thousands?) of people upgrading with no issue tend to not bother commenting. :)

To chime in, I updated 7 active installations without issue.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• PamelaPamela ✭✭

Running /utility/structure isn't needed? only /utility/update ;-) in fact... isn't? many thanks in advance
    PS: Upgraded from 2.2.5 (GitHub, master branch, 2014 Jan.)

• I found out reason of error 500. It is because after update CloudflareSupport plugin doesn't work anymore. The plugin even doesn't turn off in the dashboard. I turn off it manual via editing config.php and then I could make successful update.

In logs I found:
    2016/05/11 20:03:44 [error] 20467#0: *6463610 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function ip_in_range() in /home/ivan/www/mydomen.com/www/forum/plugins/CloudflareSupport/class.cloudflaresupport.plugin.php on line 74" while reading response header from upstream, client: 141.101.80.8, server: mydomen.com, request: "GET /forum/index.php?p=/utility/update HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock:", host: "mydomen.com"

• @Linc said:

@collents said:

Ok, and thanks for the reassurance @hgtonight .

I gave it a go and no major problem that I can see other than my theme's custom.css got over-written so I lost a bit of the customisation I'd done, but I'd taken the additional step of backing that file up too so I just restored that and things are back to normal.

As I'm still in the development stage with no live users I didn't bother backing my database up - I wanted to see what happened just uploading the new files.

To speed the process up in future I'll remove a lot of those plugins I don't use from the new version before I upload it... I'm trying to keep the forum as clutter-free as possible as it's for serious collaboration so we have no need for badges or emoticons, etc.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@collents said:
    I gave it a go and no major problem that I can see other than my theme's custom.css got over-written so I lost a bit of the customisation I'd done

This suggests you didn't properly copy your customized files into a new theme with a different name. You should never directly modify files that appear in the Vanilla download.

• @Linc said:

@collents said:
    I gave it a go and no major problem that I can see other than my theme's custom.css got over-written so I lost a bit of the customisation I'd done

This suggests you didn't properly copy your customized files into a new theme with a different name. You should never directly modify files that appear in the Vanilla download.

Sorry, I didn't know I had to do that - being a complete noob I just downloaded the software and installed it on my server then chose a theme. It makes a lot of sense now you mention it.

Thanks for the tip.

• kopnakopna Coimbra Portugal ☯

Hi, before you upgrade I would like to ask: which folders you want to upload to update Vanilla? I tried to update the local server, then install a new page was Vanilla. That old Vanilla just disappeared. Explain to me please, how to update Vanilla. Thank you :o

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@kopna said:
    Explain to me please, how to update Vanilla. Thank you :o

@Linc said:

Upgrade Steps

• Backup your database, .htaccess and conf/config.php file somewhere safe.
    • Upload the new release's files so they overwrite the old ones.
    • Go to yourforum.com/index.php?p=/utility/update to force any updates needed.
    • If it fails, try it a second time by refreshing the page. More troubleshooting tips.

If you are upgrading from any 2.1 version, please note:

• You CANNOT downgrade later (nor is there any reason you ever should). It may result in users being locked out.
    • You MUST update your locales.

If you are upgrading from any 2.0 version, add these steps:

• Delete the file /themes/mobile/views/discussions/helper_functions.php
    • Delete the file /applications/dashboard/views/default.master.php (note the PHP extension, not TPL:open_mouth:

@Linc also said:
    Problem upgrading? Start a new discussion for assistance.

• I recently started using Vanilla and I would like to know what is the best way to get an email notification when a new version has been released. It's very handy in cases like this one, when two security issues have been discovered and patched.

Thanks!

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@AristaP said:
    I recently started using Vanilla and I would like to know what is the best way to get an email notification when a new version has been released. It's very handy in cases like this one, when two security issues have been discovered and patched.

Thanks!

You can subscribe to the Blog, just select the version if it is open source or other.

https://blog.vanillaforums.com

I updated with vanilla 2.2 to 2.2.1 and as if all went well, but!
    Just as in the manual:

Backup your database, .htaccess and conf/config.php file somewhere safe.
    Upload the new release's files so they overwrite the old ones.
    Go to yourforum.com/index.php?p=/utility/update to force any updates needed.
    If it fails, try it a second time by refreshing the page. More troubleshooting tips. 

and received the following:

in this case there is no record $Category['Name']= T($Category['Name']); in the file aplications/vanilla/models/class.categorymodel.php ->>needed to correct manually. Why not make these things already in the new update?

On other issues, I have no idea how to fix them :(
    I would be very grateful for your advice.

edited May 2016

I can not log in

:(

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@kopna A 500 error indicates an issue with your server, for which you need to check your error logs to get more information. As indicated in my original post, start a new discussion for assistance troubleshooting.

• @vrijvlinder said:
    You can subscribe to the Blog, just select the version if it is open source or other.

Thanks @vrijvlinder

I have checked the blog but couldn't find any entry or post related to recent software updates or upgrades, so I'm still not sure whether it's the best way to keep up with most recent releases.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@AristaP said:

@vrijvlinder said:

Thanks @vrijvlinder

I have checked the blog but couldn't find any entry or post related to recent software updates or upgrades, so I'm still not sure whether it's the best way to keep up with most recent releases.

If you have any program that can handle news feeds, you should subscribe to
    http://vanillaforums.org/categories/blog/feed.rss
    I guess this is what you are looking for.

• Does Vanilla 2.2.1 support PHP 7?

@MohammadHI said:
    Does Vanilla 2.2.1 support PHP 7?

No. The 2.3 beta does.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Hey all - so I've run into an issue... I've upgraded from 2.1 and now, I cannot access the Vanilla Dashboard, only the front end.

I get a blank screen when trying to access the dashboard.

Vanilla is on a subdomain and embedded in a WP page.

Anyone know why this may be occurring, or have any tips on how to get back into the dashboard?

@ericwongmma said:
    Hey all - so I've run into an issue... I've upgraded from 2.1 and now, I cannot access the Vanilla Dashboard, only the front end.

I get a blank screen when trying to access the dashboard.

Vanilla is on a subdomain and embedded in a WP page.

Anyone know why this may be occurring, or have any tips on how to get back into the dashboard?

Check out the FAQ here: https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/219008/#Comment_219008

If you need further help, please open a new discussion. :)

Search first