HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Some Results from running RelevantTitle plugin on rss-imported Vanilla forum discussions

rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one"NY ✭✭✭

I used the Feed Discussions plugin to import the Vanilla Community discussions for the last month into a test forum and then I set the RelevantTitle plugin rule to require that the discussion title should have at least two relevant words within the discussion body. I then ran the RelevantTitle report getting with results:

RelevantTitle plugin Conformance Report.

Title size rules: Minimum Relevant words:2

1. Title:**How can I put an anti Adblock** Error:The title should have at least 2 related words in the discussion content. Only found related word: "Anti" . (ignoring:"Can" "I" "An" ).
2. Title:**StopForumSpam blocks silently **Error:The title should have at least 2 related words in the discussion content. Only found related word: "Stopforumspam" . 
3. Title:**Porter : From french VBulletin** Error:The title should have at least 2 related words in the discussion content .
4. Title:**BBCode Not Working** Error:The title should have at least 2 related words in the discussion content. Only found related word: "Bbcode" . (ignoring:"Not" ).

33 records were scanned. 4 non-conforming listed above.

Clearly this is a small sample (33 records). Of the 33 analyzed discussions 4 failed the test.

I then went to check these four discussions to see what was happening:

1. Reflects a user input typo - the discussion body has the word "adbloc" while the title has "Adblock".
  2. One word (StopForumSpam) was found in the discussion. The body does not have any variants of the other title words.
  3. None of the title words appear in the discussion where the user acknowledge weakness in English.
  4. This case possibly represents the rationale for the plugin - "bbcode not working" is a very non-descriptive title

In a forum when the plugin is set to enforce the rules, when users try to save a discussion they will get a prompt to reword the title and include in it at least two words that appear within the discussion body. Hopefully this will lead to better and more descriptive titles (and/or discussion content).

The plugin is currently in beta - feedback is welcome (and thanks to those who are trying it).

Comments

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

I ran another report with a rule requiring only one word and looked at the discussions that don't have a single relevant word in the body. I saw that many of them didn't get a single response. Not surprising.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Interesting results. Have you looked into existing PHP language libraries?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

A while ago. Anything specific (I'm reworking some of the code for efficiency/simplicity) so now is a good time for a pointer;-)

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

Thanks! I looked at it a while ago. I am also using porter stemmer (which is the old research paper upon which most stemming works). In the Discussion Topic plugin I also augment porter stemmer with pos tagging. Felt it's an ovrkill for this plugin.

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited October 2016

Since you are trying to replace the function of a good moderator.

Please adapt this plugin to knit together an autosplitter feature. based on category, age of discussion and STKI parameters. with regard to additional comments and relevance to the rest of discussion. would save time if you had a forum that had no moderation to speak of, as I assume this plugin would be ideal for.

https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/243773/#Comment_243773

e.g. moderator induced system split: https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/23346/topic-thumbnail and its splitee https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/32709/file-upload-not-working-on-2-1b2

it could be advantageous for vanillaforums.org during vacations.

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

With this plugin I am not trying to replace a moderator at all. I'm trying to help the user enter a title that is related to the discussion body (not subsequent comments). It's a very simple and limited goal. After the discussion is saved it's up to whomever is authorized to edit it again and change the title (which still may e subject to relevance rules as they are active at that time).

I did test and added support for moved discussions with leftover links (basically don't enforce the rules during the copy/move) but that is different than splits.