Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

multiple vanillaforum instances for performance/high availability

gioboxgiobox New
edited October 2016 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi all,

I'm currently testing using Vanilla forum in a docker cluster. Ideally I'd like multiple load-balanced instances of vanilla-forum talking to a single database to make for cheap/easy scaling and zero downtime on my VPSes.

Is there any documentation on creating a single forum with multiple load-balanced forum instances? Most of the guides here seem to assume a single machine running the vanillaforum app, which does not sit well with me. I'd much rather use a bunch of cheap low power VPSes than a single high spec one for performance, HA etc.

So far I've put the 'config' and 'upload' directories in a shared Docker volume that all of the Vanilla Forum instances read/write to, which seems to work for the most part. However, I'm seeing some strange issues with the "Yet Another Gamification Application" application add on - depending which instance I'm routed to, the settings mess up, which suggests to me there's some more folders I need to share between the instances to get this approach working. Is there any documentation on what folders need to be shared between multiple instances of the same vanillaforum forum? I surely can't be the first person to run multiple load-balanced instances. Similarly, is there anything else I should be aware of, or settings I should change?

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

The first thing that jumps out at me is that if you're using memcached, you also need that at a central location instead of spread between instances. I believe sharing the uploads location and a single config should be sufficient assuming no addon is using config inappropriately (e.g. writing to it excessively).

I do not know enough about YAGA in particular to help with that; we do not run that in our cloud environment so I don't know if there are separate challenges there.

• gioboxgiobox New
    edited November 2016

Thanks @Linc, I forgot to mention I have the forum instances sharing a single memcached server too. It looks like my issue was a known issue with YAGA and cached locale strings, I've since managed to fix it and all appears to be working well.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@giobox said:
    I'm seeing some strange issues with the "Yet Another Gamification Application" application add on

:anguished:

@giobox said:
    It looks like my issue was a known issue with YAGA and cached locale strings, I've since managed to fix it and all appears to be working well.

:chuffed:

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.