Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

HTML not rendered after update

phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

Hi all,

Since my 2.3 update HTML is not rendered in my posts anymore (as well as in my Signatures Plugin).

I kept searching the boards here and tried to configure and reupload Vanilla 2.3 files, deactivated plugins and so on but i'm not able to detect my issue.

Did anyone run into the same and knows a solution?

Thanx, phreak

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
Tagged:

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@phreak said:
    Since my 2.3 update HTML is not rendered in my posts anymore (as well as in my Signatures Plugin).

All HTML, or certain HTML?

All posts, or only new ones?

Are you using Editor?

Is 'HTML' your InputFormatter in your config?

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

HTML problems appear in new post texts and in the signatures (in my case Signatures plugin by Tim). Signatures are probably rendered anew on every page load, so this is probably why all of them are broken.

Yes, Advanced Editor in use with BBCode as InputFormatter (but that seemed to work fine under 2.2).

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited December 2016

To ensure your CSS sheets for plugins are loaded , make sure this is how they are called.

$Sender->AddCssFile('yourplugin.css', 'plugins/YourPlugin');

Not having it like this will break the style because the sheet is not being loaded for some reason.

Check if the style sheet is being loaded for the plugins in question...

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

I wasn't even aware that the BBCode formatter allowed HTML at all.

We brought NBBC into core and displaced our janky old BBCode parser with it. Maybe that explicitly disallowed HTML for the first time?

• @phreak said:
    HTML problems appear in new post texts ...

You mean you just see html tags?

• edited April 2017

Was there ever a solution found for this? I'm having the same issue. Just updated to 2.3 and all users past posts with things like img tags etc are no longer rendered. You just see the actual text of the tags.

$Configuration['Garden']['InputFormatter'] = 'Html'; is set, not sure what else to check. This all worked fine on 2.2.x

• @Linc said:

We brought NBBC into core and displaced our janky old BBCode parser with it. Maybe that explicitly disallowed HTML for the first time?

Is there a way to revert back to the previous parser/renderer? This has effectively made more than half my forums posts unreadable.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@Gillingham said:

@Linc said:

Is there a way to revert back to the previous parser/renderer? This has effectively made more than half my forums posts unreadable.

No way to revert back. You need to create a custom BBCode renderer which you would have to create on your own. A few days ago, I wrote a plugin for someone who migrated from IPB to Vanilla and IPB seems to allow BBCode and HTML, which Vanilla does not. That's why I wrote this plugin.

If you try the plugin and you know how to use PHPMyAdmin, try to set the Format column of one of the Discussions/Comments where you have problems with the format to "IPB" and see if it helps.

• edited May 2017

Looks like I'm forever rolling back to 2.2 then, that's a pretty huge breaking change to invalidate the markup all of a forums posts are in that were supported out of the box.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

If that has been the case, I totally agree. And there should have been an announcement and an official workaround.

If you look at my comment above, you see that there is at least some sort of a workaround which could even be improved to overcome the "set Format to IPB" worries.

If you stay with 2.2, you a) will not get feature updates, b) risk being targeted by hackers, c) find it hard to find people who are able to support you

• jamesincjamesinc Sydney ✭✭

I got around to this, it's a common use-case on my forum too. Here's a plugin that will operate on BBCode comments without having to change their formatter in the database: https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/htmlbbcodecompatibility-plugin