HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Beta Testing FeedDiscussion Plus Plugin

rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one"NY ✭✭✭

We've been using this plugin in our intranet for a while. I removed internal references and converted it for public use.
It is now on github for those inclined to test a new plugin. I am seeking feedback before I upload it to the plugin repository.

github link

Here are the main features:

• Support for both ATOM and RSS encoded feeds
  • Support for compressed feeds
  • Individual settings for each feed
  • Filtering of content imported into the Vanilla forum based on specified keywords
  • Optional setting of minimal number of words per imported feed item (to avoid teaser feed items)
  • Optional limit on the number of items imported per feed
  • Option to show the feed's/site's logo in the imported discussion and discussion list
  • Option to remove linked images from the imported feeds
  • Option to set server window hours when feeds are imported
  • Option to disable individual feeds (while keeping their definitions rather than deleting them)
  • Admin button to initiate a manual feed import
  • Detailed report of administrator's initiated feed imports
  • Support for cron initiated feed imports
  • List of defined feeds are sorted alphabetically with the active feeds on top
  • Attempt to autodiscover feeds of entered url (relies on website using feed referral tags).

A shout of recognition to Tim from the Vanila team for his FeedDiscussion plugin which inspired me to develop this plugin.

Comments

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited September 2017

Awesome work. Currently testing it! I really like the versatility and configurability of your add ons.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

Great! Thanks for testing. I'm near completion of another feature - support for Youtube feeds (allowing subscription to YouTube Channels). It includes auto-discovery of the channel feed url and the imported feeds include description and clickable video thumbnail (which of course opens up the video).

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

Beta version 2.1.b5 uploaded. Included Youtube channel feed support.

• kopnakopna Coimbra Portugal ☯

Hi @rbrahmson
    the plugin has a css style conflict with the theme ( Gopi ).

Hi @Kopna, thanks for testing this plugin.

I installed the Gopi theme and tried various theme options. All work just fine for me. I even tried the web inspector and simulated various mobile devices -- all worked as expected.

I suspect you made some modifications to the theme, used the CSSedit plugin, or have a different conflicting plugin - all could potentially cause problems. However, I cannot recreate your problem at all. See below.

BTW, I like this theme.

Thanks for testing the plugin. The recent beta version (2.1.b5) added YouTube channels. I'm now alpha testing twitter stream feeds. I've also added support for RDFprism feeds.
    This probably gives this plugin the widest feed formats coverage.

Hope to move to public beta soon.

Thanks for all those who provided feedback. The official (though I'm sure still imperfect) version was just uploaded to the plugin repo.