HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.5 is now available

LincLinc Detroit Admin
edited December 2017 in Releases

Vanilla 2.5 - the stable gold release - can now be downloaded. The upgrade instructions are in the README.md as part of the download. This release brings a completely revised Dashboard, a native RESTful API, "flat" categories, IPv6 support, enhanced security, and hundreds of bug fixes. Details in the pre-release discussion.

Upgrading Notes:

• Vanilla 2.5 requires PHP 5.6 which is a change from earlier versions. We strongly recommend upgrading to PHP 7.2 as soon as possible. Many hosting plans allow a seamless transition via their control panel. Vanilla will end support of PHP 5.6 in 2018.
  • To upgrade, first delete /applications/vanilla/controllers/class.settingscontroller.php, then follow the normal upgrade process, including running /utility/update.
  • We strongly recommend deleting the contents of your /cache folder after upgrading, and again if you experience issues after the upgrade.
  • Test your plugin & theme compatibility in a safe place before upgrading your production forum. We do sometimes accidentally break backwards compatibility.

IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE UPGRADING AND NEED ASSISTANCE, PLEASE START A NEW DISCUSSION. If you are a developer and locate a reproducible issue, please file it on our GitHub tracker, noting your version as 2.5. We greatly appreciate the assistance.

Please upgrade to 2.5 as soon as possible.

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

What a nice Christmas gift - thanks for investing your time!

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited December 2017

@R_J said:
    thanks for investing your time!

Likewise. That HtmLawed catch was critical.

• Thank you so much for all your hard work! You rock B)

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin
    edited December 2017

@Linc said:

BEFORE doing that, you have to delete /applications/vanilla/controllers/class.settingscontroller.php. Not doing so will result in several inaccessible sections in the dashboard.
    (Only when updating from 2.3, in 2.4 there shouldn't be such a file)

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

I've amended the OP accordingly.

• Thanks. Very nice news.

It it release closest to announcement date since like 1.8.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@maximka10 said:

Made all the more impressive by that version not existing.

• I am now running a test site on 2.5 with data imported from SMF2 (to give my users a final moment to give feedback before abandoning the SMF once and for all).

Thank you to all of you involved on the Vanilla 2.5 and Merry Cthulhumas to all!

• Dr_SommerDr_Sommer Dr. of tender Programing ;) ✭✭

Thank you soooo much.... :heart::love::+1:

Im so excited!! :D:D:D

• K17K17 Français / French Paris, France ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    YOU GUYS ROCKS !

• VivantVivant New
    edited December 2017

Upgraded to 2.5 gold and it worked perfectly.

There's an issue with the I like this plugin not working with 2.5 but the main install worked a treat.

Thanks Linc and everyone else who helped get this release out.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

I've monkey-patched 2.5 with two things:

• Added the missing .htaccess.dist file.
    • Corrected a column in the database from DateExpire to DateExpires.

If you need either of those fixes and downloaded Vanilla 2.5 before the time of this post, please re-download it and try again. Or, manually add the .htaccess file and fix the column name references manually.

• Dr_SommerDr_Sommer Dr. of tender Programing ;) ✭✭

Upgrade from 2.3.1
    Worked flawlessly... :heart:

If you get an "404" Error after "yourforum.com/utility/update", read the README Instructions on this... :sunglasses::+1::lol:

AND if youre using Appache2, ensure that Rewrite Mod is Enabled with:

a2enmod rewrite

Thanks again to all the Coders and Supporters of this great Forum Software... :heart:

• @Linc said:

@maximka10 said:

Made all the more impressive by that version not existing.

I mean 2.1.8

• subdreamersubdreamer San Jose, CA

Thank you so much for all your hard work! I am not currently using VF, but I still like to follow its development.

• GermontGermont New
    edited January 2018

After this upgrade, the forum I manage had a sudden click burst from google searches, from 400-500, to 850 clicks per day. And sitemap is not yet entirely indexed: only 310 of 427 submitted pages, after long time halted at 230.

Cosequently all other linked from the forum had a similar increase, I assume due to page rank transfer.
    The owner will give me a bonus! Thanks for your great work ;)

• nice :)

• Thank you! =)

• mirXmirX
    edited January 2018

Upgrade from 2.3.1 and get "Something has gone wrong". :3 Looks like a problem with locale

This is error_log:

_[15-Jan-2018 18:56:22 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Exception: The addon at /locales/vf_ru doesn't have any info. in /home/interna1/public_html/library/Vanilla/Addon.php:189
    Stack trace:

0 /home/interna1/public_html/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(80): Vanilla\Addon->scanInfo()

1 /home/interna1/public_html/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(67): Vanilla\Addon->scan('/locales/vf_ru')

2 /home/interna1/public_html/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(534): Vanilla\Addon->__construct('/locales/vf_ru')

3 /home/interna1/public_html/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1097): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupSingleCachedAddon('vf_ru', 'locale')

4 /home/interna1/public_html/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('vf_ru', 'locale')

5 /home/interna1/public_html/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')

6 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))

7 /home/interna1/public_html/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)

8 /home/interna1/public_html/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))

9 /home/interna1/public_html/index.php(22): require_once('/home/interna1/...')

thrown in /home/interna1/public_html/library/Vanilla/Addon.php on line 189_