Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to remove #latest from discussion links

websferewebsfere Los Angeles, CA New

Hello. I have noticed all my discussion links end in #latest at the end of URL of discussion. Is there a way to remove #latest from the end of URL? Thank you.

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

There are a lot of discussions on this topic. Have a search on here.

Bottom line: why do you think you want to?

• subdreamersubdreamer San Jose, CA

Check out this post made by @hgtonight. Have a great day!

• websferewebsfere Los Angeles, CA New

@subdreamer Excellent. That worked. Thank you!
    @whu606 Aesthetically it looks better without #latest. Thanks

You realise that for the gain in perceived aesthetics, your users will no longer be taken to the last part of a discussion they had previously read, right?

• websferewebsfere Los Angeles, CA New

@whu606 Thanks for the information. I didn't know that.

• VV_YuriVV_Yuri Russia New
    1. I can not understand what should be the discussion link - so that I can publish it, for example, in facebook.
      In this way? discussion links end in #latest ?

2. How does Google index discussions with such links?

The link will work provided you have included the thread number:

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/35687

edited February 2018

@whu606 написал:
    The link will work provided you have included the thread number:

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/35687

User in the discussion sees in the browser line here such a link https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/35687/vanilla-2-5-is-now-available#latest
    Where should he look at another link?

Usually on the sites, the topic title is a link to the topic. But here the title is not a link.

I'm not sure I have understood your question.

The #latest part of the link takes users who have already read a thread to the last comment they viewed.

I was trying to show you that after the number, the text is non-critical. You can add or leave off #latest when you publish links, and in fact you can change the text entirely; Vanilla will still go to the discussion.

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/35687/Follow this link for further information

clicking that link will still bring you to this discussion.

edited February 2018

@whu606

I do not understand, where the user will find the link without "#latest" ?
    In other forums engines link appears if you click on the topic name. But here the topic name is not a link.

• @VV_Yuri said:
    @whu606

I do not understand, where the user will find the link without "#latest" ?
    In other forums engines link appears if you click on the topic name. But here the topic name is not a link.

You can simply use the link with #latest. It will work. If you think the link looks ugly with #latest, you just delete the letters from your url with backspace. Have you tried sharing links? You're overthinking things :P

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

The date you see at each posting is a link to the comment or the discussion.

edited February 2018

@Caylus написал:
    You can simply use the link with #latest. It will work. If you think the link looks ugly with #latest, you just delete the letters from your url with backspace. Have you tried sharing links? You're overthinking things :P

In our country, Vanilla is unknown as a forum engine. Users are accustomed to seeing more simple links. Users copy links from the topic name.
    Therefore, links to Vanilla can be incomprehensible to users. And I have to think about it))

edited February 2018

Which link should be canonical?

@VV_Yuri написал:
    2. How does Google index discussions with such links?