HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

VFORG Theme - Can we still use it?

I had noticed somewhere here in the forum asking for the VFORG theme, and some replying that the theme CAN be actually used, but with different images (these ones are copyrighted, I get it).

I actually love this theme, and found it here: https://github.com/PCTipsGR/community/tree/master/themes/vforg , however it seems like it is an older version of it.

What I am asking is:

• Is there any developer who is working on it and has free time to update it?
  • Are the files (except about.php and default.master.php which names have changed) still the same, with same names and no more files, so someone like me could just copy the source from visiting the files in his browser and downloading them all one-by-one?
  • And last thing, would I be allowed to do step 2 by just using another images?

Thanks to y'all.

Comments

• x00x00 MVP
    edited September 2018

this is the latest

https://github.com/vanilla/community/tree/master/themes/vforg

why do you want to look like vf.org?

grep is your friend.

• PCTipsGRPCTipsGR Unknown New
    edited September 2018

@x00 said:
    this is the latest

https://github.com/vanilla/community/tree/master/themes/vforg

why do you want to look like vf.org?

I am sure it is not the latest, because I tried it on 2.6.3 and it did not work (unless the developers here use an older version of Vanilla), and the screenshot also showcases a theme whih looks slightly different.

I may be wrong though, and in that case I wont be able to do anything :smile:, because I have no idea how to make it work on 2.6.3

Also, I just love the theme and would like to test it live on my forum, that is why I asked this question.

• it is the latest public release.

grep is your friend.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited October 2018

Whatever is in that repo is what's deployed to this site. There's no secret fork.

There are a bunch of other bespoke addons & Pockets on this site too that can effect appearance. It's a bit of a tangle.

edited December 2018

Well, as a matter of fact, I installed it on my personal forum, applied it as current theme and well.. you see the results. Forum broken.

Vanilla version: 2.6.4, PHP version: 7.1

If anyone wants to help and needs an account/even FTP access for the forum only to check it out I can provide that. It has no content in it than the default posts anyway.

• Thing is just becuase soemthign is released doen't mean that support is offered. It may be be but no guarantee, and no guarantee to the level of support.

grep is your friend.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@PCTipsGR said:
    I had noticed somewhere here in the forum asking for the VFORG theme, and some replying that the theme CAN be actually used, but with different images (these ones are copyrighted, I get it).

I actually love this theme, and found it here: https://github.com/PCTipsGR/community/tree/master/themes/vforg , however it seems like it is an older version of it.

What I am asking is:

• Is there any developer who is working on it and has free time to update it?

From the license:

We do not give permission to reuse the design of the VanillaForums.org site themes. They are copyrighted by Vanilla Forums, Inc. which reserves all rights to said design. In other words, use the code how you want, but don't produce clone sites with it.

Therefore anybody helping you would help violating their license permissions.

@PCTipsGR said:
    Well, as a matter of fact, I installed it on my personal forum, applied it as current theme and well.. you see the results. Forum broken.

Vanilla version: 2.6.4, PHP version: 7.1

open.vanillaforums.com doesn't use Vanilla version 2.6.4. The version used here is some steps ahead of 2.6.4 and like Linc already said, it uses some other plugins, some of them only available for the hosted version of Vanilla.

edited December 2018

@x00 said:
    Thing is just becuase soemthign is released doen't mean that support is offered. It may be be but no guarantee, and no guarantee to the level of support.

I didn't ask for official support, I asked only if someone knew something and could help :D

@R_J said:

From the license:

We do not give permission to reuse the design of the VanillaForums.org site themes. They are copyrighted by Vanilla Forums, Inc. which reserves all rights to said design. In other words, use the code how you want, but don't produce clone sites with it.

Therefore anybody helping you would help violating their license permissions.

Oh, okay then. This comment confused me and made me believe I could use the theme: https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/232735#Comment_232735

Of course I would not be using the same images and design colors, in case this comment is correct.

• @PCTipsGR said:
    I didn't ask for official support, I asked only if someone knew something and could help :D

sure just mentioning it anyway, as often stuff like this come as is. It is really up to you to adapt it.

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited December 2018

Unlike Vbulletin clone site aren't really part of Vanilla's brand.

grep is your friend.

• It sound liek you could roll back the design somewhat, if you find the right release or commit.

grep is your friend.