Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Unknown column Active in field list

Comments

• This is what I could discover untill now.

• noszonenoszone New
    edited February 2019

I find in Google a same threads on Vanilla Forum engine with same error message posted on the vanilla forums by the users of their community.

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=%7B+"Code"%3A+256%2C+"Exception"%3A+"Unknown+column+%27Active%27+in+%27field+list%27"%2C+"Class"%3A+"Gdn_ErrorException"+%7D&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Alright, try to solve th 500 http error codes and I assume your problem is solved. Those errors are server errors. Do you have access to the error log of your web server?

• I deleted all logs recently in folder. But it keeps coming in the hoster Plesk panel->Logs. But in that logs only general information. Once logs will appear in the folder I will check again.

Could it be an issue of Nginx+Apache? Or it's some cached mechanics of the hoster.

• charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff

You guys need to do a `utility/update`. You have a new database field that hasn't been created here.

• Could someone run this sql query in the PhpMyAdmin? To make comparison with your resulst?

SELECT table_name, count(*)
    FROM information_schema.columns where table_name like 'GDN%'
    GROUP BY table_name  

It will count the all vanila tables and count each table number of columns.

Mine is like this now:

And more over, I did another view calculating all columns in Vanilla tables:

select COLUMN_NAME from information_schema.columns where table_name like 'GDN%'
    order by table_name,ordinal_position

Mine is 552 Total columns. I have about 10 plugins enabled - yaga,voting(now disabled),signatures, discussion polls, pockets, role titles. The complete list of active plugins:

Advanced Editor

All Viewed

Discussion Polls 

Gravatar

Pockets

reCAPTCHA Support

Role Titles

Signatures

Sitemaps

Stub Content

• @charrondev, I did already, it won't helps.

There really is only one column called "Active" and that is in GDN_UserAuthentication which you do not need for editing comments. If you create me an account and send me the credentials via PM I'll take a look at the POST body which I suspect gives most valuable information

• Thank you R_J, Do you need an account with admin rights?

That user doesn't had the permission to edit posts so I wrote my own test post. You can delete that now.

There was nothing strange in the POST data so it's really an error message that is sent in return when there should be the edited comment/discussion sent.

What drives me mad is that there is no code snippet that would be able to create that error message. Can you do a full text search in your installation folder for "Unknown column "? There should be some search results like "Unknown column $column" but I cannot find anything like "Unknown column $column in..." or "Unknown column %s in %s" or anything like that.

Please disable tagging for a moment and try to edit a comment.

• Thank you, will try to find this, will keep that post for test untill this get fixed. This error - mostly a baby of Mysql error message. A lot of posts in internet with such message. I mean this is the standart text of mysql engine when returning error message. But so many inconviniences, don't know how to debug it.

Last hope is to copy site to local host WAMP and try to debug it there.

• No, disabling tagging didn't helps.

• Just a note, in Google I found a 2 subjects same. The interesting thing that they are posted this error message in January 2019. It means, the issue could be in some of the patches near to this date.

But, why other people is not facint this? Sql strcit mode? Sql driver? Sql DB type? Sql settings?

Have you tried the debugbar plugin? after you have activated it you have a small "Vanilla" labeled kind of button on the lower left corner. Clicking on this expands an area with debugging information. It should contain all the sql queries that halped building up the current page.

I should add that debugbars output is visible even for guests which makes my advice a bad advice for a productive system...

• Two times I was activated it. And could not find any column Active. Tomorrow will check it again.

edited February 2019

@R_J We added an Active column on the GDN_Media table in the latest release so if you don't have one on your tables that's likely the issue.

@noszone What do you see if you run a scan at utility/structure?

The issue was posted by a client using our hosted service shortly after our initial deployment of Vanilla 2.8. There is a threshold at which utility/update will not run and make a log somewhere so that when we mass update 1000s of sites we don't accidentally shut one down by forcing an immediate migration of some table with millions of records.

It's actually seems be set to 0 by default though (doesn't apply), but the config name is Database.AlterTableThreshold for future references.

• @charrondev,

alter table `GDN_UserAuthenticationNonce`
    -- [Existing: `Timestamp` timestamp not null default current_timestamp, New: `Timestamp` timestamp not null]
    change `Timestamp` `Timestamp` timestamp not null;

alter table `GDN_UserAuthenticationToken`
    -- [Existing: `Timestamp` timestamp not null default current_timestamp, New: `Timestamp` timestamp not null]
    change `Timestamp` `Timestamp` timestamp not null;

update `GDN_User` `User`
    set `Permissions` = ''
    where `Permissions` <> '';

insert `GDN_UserMeta` 
    (`UserID`, `Name`, `Value`) 
    values ('0', 'stubcontent.record.locale', 'ru');

This is what giving me in reply to utility/structure.

Please let me know what parametrs of field 'Active' I should add to GDN_Media.