HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 3.0 - Release Candidate & Call for Testers

Comments

• Hi All,

There are some news about the update? Thanks!

• Updated to 3.0 RC1 from 2.8.1 without any issues. Been running it for 2 days and users love the new formatting menu options and the keystone theme.

Great job guys ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ‘๏ธ

• Here's something I'm seeing in 2.8.3 as well: if you create a new role in Roles & Permissions, newly-registered users have this role, which is insanely dangerous. Let me know if you need any more details.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@MichaelTyson

It would be much better if you could post that as an issue on GitHub, with details for reproduction.

• charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff
    edited May 2019

@pioc34 I've updated the breaking changes section to include a note about the new DB tables & YAGA. I definitely wouldn't recommend using anyone else's namespace in software. This type of thing is just bound to happen.

@MichaelTyson Could you file a bug report on the vanilla/vanilla repo? Our support team is trying to wrap up this release this week.

@MichaelTyson I just wanted to clarify, do you mean in 3.0 created a new role does not respect the default type?

This dropdown is what determines if a new user has the role you created.

• Apologies for the delay, been away in parent mode ๐Ÿ˜

Oh! I thought it determined the base permissions for that role! That's interesting; might file a bug report with revised wording. Anyway, great, that's working correctly then!

• test

• I'm fairly new to Vanilla but have been running the 3.0 release on a live site for about 1-2 weeks now here is what I have noticed:

1. The documentation for the Wordpress plugin appears to be outdated as it mentions JSConnect (which I assume is OAuth 2 SSO?) however you (if following the documentation religiously) cannot complete setup as you will be missing the required Profile URL and I think token.. don't quote me on that I just know Profile is one and one other but cant recall which) I'm aware this is likely just a case of "things will catch up on release" so not a real issue
    2. This one has been hard to replicate but it's somewhat annoying and I'll do my best to explain it - in a nutshell when you paste in some content, then using the buttons on the right outside of the text area to turn it into a bulleted list (could also be a thing with numbered haven't checked) it will then sometimes simply not allow any additional content it just seems to blank it out it's very odd.
    3. Search displays "There was an error rendering this rich post." for every post - I have used rich post from day dot and I confirmed (after checking a few other posts) that rich is set for both mobile/site in the config
    4. The new Google Sign-in plugin does not appear in the header next to twitter and facebook (and it's icon is a little meh)
    5. Lastly and I'm actually not certain this is a bug but embedded content seems to count the entire embed code into the post limit rather than the link so an embed heavy post tends to be much shorter than a text heavy post

I'm very new to Vanilla so hopefully the above will make sense to someone and is of a useful nature and is in the right place

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited May 2019

@charrondev, I'm liking the new changes! Great job! Do you think the Rich Editor formatting menu icons should have an indicator like an arrow or a plus icon to show that there is a drop-down context menu? I've been adding code blocks (inline and on its own line) on this forum by highlighting a piece of text and then selecting the code icon, but just saw that clicking the quote icon from the left side menu shows options for block types. I might just not be used to it since it was recently added and until I read this discussion fully, so not sure if you'd count this as a UX suggestion.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

The first time after the recent shortening of the menu I assumed "format as code" was dropped as an option and was close to reporting that as an error. It was mere coincidence that I found out that it is bundled with quote and spoiler.

I agree: UX is poor when you have two click twice on the quote symbol to quote and in order to format as spoiler or code you have to click on the quote symbol first.

It's similar but not the same with the other symbols: why click on H2 when finally you would like to have H4? I'd propose to make it simply an "H". To get an order list you first need to click on the menu-opening ordered list symbol.

But at least those groups have something in common. Everything under the quote symbol is "the rest": not heading, not list, not "paragraph" (which equals no formatting at all). The rest options being grouped under a quote symbol is not speaking at all.

I don't see any advantages of grouping miscellaneous options if the editor bar is already that short.

Thanks for giving detailed feedback, that's always welcome!

The best place for reporting issues is GitHub. Errors will only be fixed if there is a GitHub issue describing the bug, that's the way the Vanilla developers have to organize their work. I guess you have to follow some conventions when you want to organize a bigger developer team.

You would see that some of your problems are already addressed but need more input. If you reply there, that would be your first step to contribute to Vanilla! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

You might find the other problems mentioned there, too.And if not, it would be great if you use the repos template to report your issues (one by one). if you don't do it, someone else would have to do it, but it is you who can share most insights.

• Appreciate the perhaps overly detailed response, reported issues on Github.

Well, give me a keyboard and a topic and I'm engaged for hours... ๐Ÿค“

• Wasn't intended as a complaint just an attempt at humour, your post was very helpful, thanks.

@Shadowdare @R_J The UX of Rich Editor is particularly important to us going forward and I can certainly see where this may be a bit confusing. I'll have a discussion with our designer and see if we can iterate on it the next release so that things are clearer.

I faintly remember to have mentioned it before, but I'm not sure I really have: the /dist folder contains a subfolder /knowledge

This is not a bug in the end.

There are 3 site sections:

• Frontend
    • Admin
    • Knowledge

Addons may contribute to all 3. It just so happens that some core addons contribute to the proprietary knowledge section. See

The "Additional entries" section in particular.

• Bug ?

This discussion has been closed.