HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

2020 OSS Roadmap plans

2»

Comments

• New Roadmap Objectives

Warning: These notes are not a guarantee of any particular version number or release date. It just represents some of our development goals.

Complete the 4.0 release

The 4.0 release is currently in progress. Main improvements will include:

• New Base Theme & New theming system.
    • Hero Image plugin no longer a plugin. Instead it is built-in to core.
    • 100s of bug-fixes
    • Performance improvements.
    • New PHP version requirements.

Documentation Overhaul

As we move our developer documentation over to it's new home in our Success Knowledge Base, we are updating outdated articles, adding new ones, and moving some new technical documentation from our internal documentation to become public.

Items that are set to receive new documentation:

I'll link the documentation here as it becomes available.

As we write these we will primarily looking to provide "quickstart" guides with code examples. For for more technical understanding it's best to look at the key source code files, which will be linked at the bottom of documentation, where possible.

So how many of these Roadmap objectives were actually achieved in 2020?

Maybe time to invest in some GPS instead.

• K17K17 Français / French Paris, France ✭✭✭

@ianw5555 2020 is a strange year for everyone, and I think it may have affected some projects. Let's not be offensive, that will actually drive you nowhere.

And to answer your questions:

• Documentation overhaul has been done, it was running on a markdown to html docs system, now it is a Vanilla Application known as "Knowledge Base" (kinda obvious name btw 😅) and is available for Cloud clients.
    • Actually a lot of what's listed has happened. It is just not yet released as a new version of Vanilla OSS. All of it is here.
  • I never meant to be offensive, more sarcastic. Anyway my main issue is that there has been no security updates since 3.3 was released in Oct 2019. I am aware that it has been a difficult year but I am sure that the hackers will not be taking a rest just because there is a pandemic.

• I would say for any community project, communication is an extremely valuable commodity. Even just a "no news, we're still alive, milestones delayed, will update in 2 months" goes a long way towards putting people's minds at rest that the project is not completely dead...

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

That's the misunderstanding: Vanilla is not a community project.

• Nice to see an updated roadmap, but what we're missing ( and i looked for it ) is a list of features to look forward to.