Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Private Messages 1.1

Comments

• reapreap New
    edited December 2006
    hmm I have whisper turned on, deleted the old pm 1.0 and uploaded and turned on the the 1.1 private messages. The whisper button shows up but nothing happens when I click on it.

fresh van 103 install
  • edited December 2006
    i don't think the forum is sending out notification emails... i am not getting any. (the notify plugin works fine)

additionally, in the next release, could there be a way for users to delete messages?
  • also

when i send a message it still appears as an unread message in my inbox which is slightly odd. i know it's not that important but i think it could be confusing for some peple.
  • @circuit: you'll have to enable email notification. Check your "Forum Preferences" from the "Account" page. Also.. strange that your send messages are marked unread... what steps do you take to write this message?
  • i have enabled notification but it seems to be quite hit-and-miss. perhaps notification of a PM above the discussion list, like in the Whisper Notification plugin, would be a good addition.
    thanks again jazzman.
  • oh, regarding sent messages - i just compose and send a PM in the normal way and it appears in my inbox AND sent items as an unread message... i will experiment more with it when i next send a PM.
  • Have you created a new category to store PM's?
  • jazzman, i know what the problem is (i think). i don't get an email when i get a NEW PM, i only get one when someone replies to an existing PM.
  • There are only two things that would make this the perfect system as far as I'm concerned.

1. The ability to delete messages that you've read. Not auto delete though.
    2. An indicator on the "Inbox" tab that tells you that you have a new message: *ex. Inbox (1)*

I never do email notifications for stuff like this but I guess a part 3 would be the email notify for those that do.

Just my $.02
  • Hi, is there any solution to the problems with Friendly url's ? Thank you !
  • hmm by reading these posts i guess i will wait for a couple more releases to be released before i decide to add this to my forum.
  • I was just about to recommend an indicator in the "Inbox" tab that tells you that you have a new message: *ex. Inbox (1)*, but I see that Herrgeist has already beaten me to it! Question for Jazzman: Are you up for any paying custom work gigs? Been trying to reach you but to no avail.
  • The new message indicator is on my list, but I haven't been able to create a good sql query to retrieve the number of new messages.

@shotoshi: You can always email me so I can concider it, but lately I've been very busy with my real job :)
  • Jazzman, please email me: editor [//AT\\] holidaypad [//DOT\\] net
  • jazzman, could you perhaps add a notification above the discussions which tells you when you have new messages?
    notification emails are only being sent when PMs are replied to, not when a new PM is sent.
  • TiggrTiggr
    edited January 2007
    Hiho!

notification emails are only being sent when PMs are replied to, not when a new PM is sent.

That's right! :-(

Tiggr
  • dan39dan39 New
    edited January 2007
    Jazzman,
    This is a great add-on. Nice work.

But, I noticed two things which are somewhat buggy/confusing:

1) If you send a message — and even if you get a reply — it doesn't count towards the message count in your inbox. You can even see this in your example screenshot (taken from above):

If you look closely, you'll see the message count says "1 to 3 of 3" even though there are clearly 5 rows of messages.

And, not only does an incoming reply to your sent messages not count towards the inbox message count, if that's all you have in your inbox, it will still tell you don't have any mail — even though it should.

2) If you reply to someone who sent you the original private message, it doesn't show up in your outbox. It only shows up in your inbox. That would be acceptable if the inbox behaved similarly, but it doesn't — the inbox seems to show sent messages to others even if no one has replied to them yet.
  • edited January 2007
    i got this after a fresh install -
    A fatal, non-recoverable error has occurred
    Technical information (for support personel):

Error Message
    An error occurred while retrieving discussions.
    Affected Elements
    PrivateMessages.GetDiscussionList();

The error occurred on or near: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'on t.FirstCommentID = m.CommentID where t.Active = '1' and t.CategoryID = '6'' at line 1
  • *bump*

any fix for that?