Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Convert bbpress to vanilla

edited August 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hello

I want Convert bbpress to vanilla

Comments

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    We don't have a converter for bbpress yet, but it is planned. Stay tuned.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Also, if you are programmatically inclined, you can start to work on the converter yourself - this is an open source project, after all!
  • edited January 2010
    Have the work been started on this yet?
  • edited January 2010
    I intend to make a converter. It will be for BBpress 0.9x though, not sure how different it is to 1.0.
  • I'm a bit hesitant about using a "standard" importer in my situations, as it's rather large forums, and it will probably timeout before it's finished, if that functionality is not taken care of in the implementation.

I think i will look into some mapping sql statements directly on the database... I'll post my experiences afterwards...
  • Importing data should be taken care of in steps and batches, as would any processor for large amount of data. I don't think that is going to be a problem.
  • edited January 2010
    @fredwu I agree - but I went through the vanilla 1 to 2 importer and it didn't have that structure in my vague look at it yesterday...

Anyway I'm up for helping out.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    @Todd has been working on this again - trying to come up with a speedy solution.
    @AnotherDan can you give me an idea of how big your export might be in terms of users/posts/comments? I've written the basics of an export file and it exports the community forum in about 35s on my laptop.

I haven't added the ability to break up the files into chunks yet, but that may be necessary for uploading if nothing else.
  • edited January 2010
    @Todd I can, i'll just make some count's...

Users: 10169
    Topics: 54176
  • I'd love to have a look at this too, and would be happy to run it against a local install for the conversion and throw the converted data into a live db later... any progress on the export tool?

Looking at about 100,000 posts in my case.
  • When you guys start working on this, please take a look at @Lincoln's vBulletin importer. Either the work he's done can help you, or some of the work you guys are doing could help him! It would be great to get a standard importer framework that just allows you to plug in different convertors (eg, vBulletin, phpBB, bbpress, punbb, smf, etc.) that get written as and when the need arises.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @AnotherDan I've got a vBulletin forum with 700,000 posts. Scaling is definitely at the forefront of my mind.
  • @Lincoln Cool - something came up (security flaw in phpBB and some other issues) that changed my priorities so I'm migrating a phpBB forum right now to vanilla2. The size is about half the bbpress that's up for migration afterwards.

Trying to do purely in SQL - so far it's going quite ok.
    I've written a password converter inpsired by yours.
  • Hi everyone,

I would like to move from bbPress to Vanilla. Is there any converter available now ?

Thanks for your help

Francis
    The porter does have a bbPress option in beta right now. Check it out at http://vanillaforums.com/porter
  • Great to see a porter from bbpress, i have been looking all over for it!

BUT

I have a bbpress database that is integrated into wordpress. This means that there isn't any bb_user table and when i run the porter the porter halts with the error "Missing required database tables: users"

Have you guys any idea how i shall fix this?

I guess i could export the wp_users table in some way and import it, but im not sure how to do it.

Sure need some advise here

/Caponx
  • Hm, some ideas:

- export the user-table of wordpress and import it in bbpress - that will may work by export the necessary tables with phpmyadmin (or something similar), rename the colume names and paste the sql code in the bbpress table

- export the wordpress user tables direct to vanilla2 and comment out the part in the exporter script, that tries to pull the user table

- you may able to change the exporter script to directly pull the user table of wordpress, but I guess that will be more difficult