Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Low-Cal Vanilla

edited November 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Low-Cal Vanilla

Comments

• This worked well. So far no issues. Thanks for the release!
  • Oh wow, gonna give this a go!

edit: No issues so far, think the pages are loading faster.
  • Uploaded version 0.1.1 of Low-Cal Vanilla.
  • as i understand it using gzencode would be a lot faster than using capture !?
  • Pretty cool... Nothing wrong yet. And it does seem they are loading a little faster. Hard to tell on a broadband connection.
  • @AlexL: capture?!
  • Wow ... wow!
    How does this work?
    Absolutely incredible, it's like I've doubled the speed of my broadband connection!
    I hope it's not a coincidence!

Posted: Sunday, 26 August 2007 at 12:56PM

• Seems to be working great. My page has speeded up 1second. I should have added some page loading time code and tested it out!.. lazy me
  • @Dinoboff
    you are using the ob_get_contents, ob_end_flush and so on commands, they are *really* slow

try something likeif(strpos($_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING'], 'gzip') !== false) { /* header stuff? don't know right now, sry */ echo gzencode($content); } else echo $content;
    you can use microtime(true); to compare times.
    The function returns milliseconds (as float), so run it before and after the block, substract the times and compare to gzencode
  • I just tried with the following code:
    class LowCalVanilla extends Control { function Render() { $t1 = microtime(true); // This is only defined if gunzip extension is installed if ( defined('FORCE_GZIP') && strpos($_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING'], 'gzip') !== false ) { // Get the content of the page $content = ob_get_contents(); ob_clean(); echo gzencode($content); header('Vary: Accept-Encoding'); header('Content-Encoding: gzip'); header('Content-Length: ' . ob_get_length()); $t2 = microtime(true); $t = $t2 - $t1; header('Time: ' . $t); } } function LowCalVanilla(&$Context) { $this->Name = 'LowCalVanilla'; $this->Control($Context); } }
    And the result is similar.

Update:

New version:
    Time=0.000478029251099
    Time=0.000461101531982
    Time=0.000349044799805
    Time=0.000463962554932
    Time=0.000473976135254

Previous:
    Time=0.000494003295898
    Time=0.000475883483887
    Time=0.000339984893799
    Time=0.000487089157104
    Time=0.000330924987793

Server=Apache/2.2.4 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.4 OpenSSL/0.9.8e mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.2.3
    Windows vista Intel Core 2 6600 @ 2.40 GHz; 2GB of RAM
  • Here's a little analysis...
     Mean% ImprovementMedian% Improvement
    Old0.0004255770.000425577
    New0.000445223-4.410.0004639632.57
  • mh thats far far less than I expected, sorry for the extra work but the ob_ functions actually being faster is just impossible. I guess both are just too fast for a good measurement ( < 0,5 ms ) the extra headers shouldn't be neccassary anymore? either way they go before echo ;) @stash nice one, but I'm not quite sure what your 3rd columt is?
  • Oops, cut 'n paste error. It was meant to say Median not Mean again. Edited and corrected.
  • If a server's already set up to use mod_gzip, then the addon isn't necessary, right?
  • not sure... is the server or just php set up to du so?
  • I am still stunned by the speed bump due to this add-on.
    Why isn't whatever it does on by default?
    Even Mac Firefox is actually fast with this!
    As AlexL asks, is this a server thing or a PHP setting?

Posted: Thursday, 30 August 2007 at 2:00PM

• Like dan said, the server can compress your output. But on a share hosting you won't have access to these settings and it will be turned off.
    For this addon, it's php who compress the output. You need to have the zlib php extension installed. The addon check it is installed.
  • oh yeah sry, I was thinking of css and js files. if you have php set to compress output (php.ini) you do NOT need this addon [ @Dinoboff maybe add a check? so output won't be compressed twice ] css and js files are not compressed by this addon. there is still quite some optimization possible
  • I forgot php can compress by default... I will add a check.
    You should always check your pages are not already encoded before installing the add-on:
    eg, use the Web Developer toolbar and check for "Content-Encoding: gzip" for the response header (Web Developer > Information > View response header) and the pages size (Web Developer > Information > View Document Size - check if it gives you a compressed size and an uncompressed size for the document).

There is also these problem with some versions of IE:
  • the user-agent header

$_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']

http://www.zytrax.com/tech/web/browser_ids.htm#msie