Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Low-Cal Vanilla

Comments

• umm... So I can sniff for IE5.5 or IE6 but I can't know which Service Pack they use.
  • SP2 browsers have "SV1" in the user agent string.

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; [...]
  • Nice stuff :)

It seems to work fine, however I get this error with People.
  • Which extensions are you using? As far as I know Vanilla doesn't use URL rewriter.
  • Here are my installed extensions:

Account Picture
    Applicant Discovery
    Attachments
    Audioscrobblerizer
    Better BBCode
    Blog
    Buy A Drink
    Category Icons
    CategoryRoles
    Comment Links
    Discussion filters
    Discussion Tags
    Discussion View Count
    FCKAjaxQuote
    FCKEditor
    FeedPublisher
    Forum Statistics
    Google Anaytics
    Guest Welcome Message
    MassMailer
    Multi File Upload
    New Applicants
    Next Unread Discussion
    Nuggets
    Panel Re-Order
    Participated Threads
    PreviewBubble
    Preview Post
    Quick Whisper
    RandomQuotes
    Role History
    Saved Searches
    Textile
    Thankful People
    User Tasks
    Vanillazilla
    Whisper Notification
    Who's online
    Windows Links
  • Uploaded version 0.2.0 of Low-Cal Vanilla.
  • It doesn't compress the pages for IE5.5 and 6.0 (except sp2), using preg_match('/MSIE (5\.5|6\.0(?!.*\bSV1\b))/i', $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']) to sniff them.
  • I just had to chime in and say I love the name.
  • Uploaded version 0.2.1 of Low-Cal Vanilla.
  • IE5.5sp2, IE6 and IEsp1 (it has nothing to do with windows service pack, my mistake, there is no ie6sp2) will always cache gzip content and IE6sp1 might lose the first 2,048 bytes of gzip content on some configuration (e.g.: if Real Player Basic is installed).
    There are patches for these bugs but you can't know if they are installed or not.

With the last update, the pages won't compressed for any version of ie5.5 and ie6.
  • The updater still see's this as version 0.2.0. The default.php file needs to be updated.
  • Uploaded version 0.2.1 of Low-Cal Vanilla.
  • Done. Thanks Figz!
  • FYI, is the question (via http://forums.devshed.com/apache-development-15/gzip-deflate-based-on-content-type-browser-446938.html) relevant?
    Is it possible to set mod_deflate or gzip to only deflate javascript and css files if the browser accepts it _and_ the browser is IE7 or above? From what I understand IE6 and below has problems with compressed js (not sure about css). Yahoo seem to have some system in place for their yui so it does this, but I don't think they're going to share their secret.this solution to the solves a lot of the problems when using MOD GZip

Answer: put this in httpd.conf or .htaccess

# Netscape 4.x or IE 5.5/6.0 BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 no-gzip # IE 5.5 and IE 6.0 have bugs! Ignore them until IE 7.0+ BrowserMatch \bMSIE\s7 !no-gzip # IE 6.0 after SP2 has no gzip bugs! BrowserMatch \bMSIE.*SV !no-gzip # Sometimes Opera pretends to be IE with "Mozila/4.0" BrowserMatch \bOpera !no-gzip AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/javascript AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-javascript Header append Vary User-Agent
  • Ummm... it would be better in better in http://lussumo.com/community/discussion/6910/protoculouspackerjsgz-prototype-and-aculous-328kb/. But if someone can write a portable one (would test for mod_gzip - apache 1.3 -, mod_deflate - apache 2-, and mod_header), it wouldn't need to be in core and I would be happy to add to low-cal vanilla :-)

But it's still interesting here:# IE 6.0 after SP2 has no gzip bugs! BrowserMatch \bMSIE.*SV !no-gzipCrap maybe I was right the first time. I will check again.

Thanks!
  • From what I recall reading back then, the GZIP bug in IE actually had something to do with IE classifying JS (and perhaps CSS) as non-TEXT (NON-HTML). I'll check my bookmarks and update this post.

Update: this MS page states:
    In Internet Explorer, the Urlmon.dll file uses an internal buffer to read compressed data. Urlmon.dll fills this buffer when more data arrives and empties the buffer when Urlmon’s client, Mshtml, reads data. The bytes that remain to be decoded in the buffer may be small (8 bytes or less) and the data contained in the buffer decompresses to 0 bytes. Frequently, this data is gzip frame data. When Mshtml receives 0 bytes, it thinks that all the data is read and closes the data stream. As a result, the HTML page sometimes appears truncated. Typically, if it is for a referenced file such as a .js or a .css file type, the HTTP connection stops responding. This problem may occur intermittently or consistently, depending on the server configuration. -- APPLIES TO Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 Service Pack 1
  • "Note This fix will be included in Internet Explorer 6.0 Service Pack 2".

There is not IE6 sp2. Maybe the fix has been put into windows xp sp2, but unlike the 2 other fixes, there reference number, so I can't check if it was included in sp2.

Can someone with free support can contact microsoft? Or next time someone install windows xp sp2 maybe, he could check.
  • Uploaded version 0.3.0 of Low-Cal Vanilla.
  • Low-Cal Vanilla 0.3.0 redirect requests to js files to a compressed version.

require mod rewrite and vanilla 1.1.3.

Low-Cal Vanilla 0.4.0 will include a packer.
  • haven't tested it, but sounds nice! :-)