Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Notifi

Comments

• On the main page for Notifi it has always said "Requires Vanilla 1.1.4", why would it say that if it wasn't true?
  • Alright already so I missed that little snippet, never said it wasn't true, in fact my statement verified it!

Posted: Friday, 26 September 2008 at 8:59PM

• A few ideas and wishes if you're doing a rewrite: 1. Shift focus from notification only when there is something new to subscribing by e-mail (but with the option to only get a notification when there is something new if the user so wishes). 2. Send the mail with the correct headers, so it's sent as a reply to the actual thread - thus allowing for threaded e-mail notification. 3. Send the e-mail with the from-address not as the system normal, but as the user who wrote the posts (if that e-mail is public). Would also love to see a different type of mail for editing comments, moving threads etc. Love the extension! Best, Daniel
  • I seem to running into an error. Whenever I add a new comment to a discussion, with Notifi activated, I get the error below. I ran into a similar error with other emails that Vanilla sent (such as lost password), but I added 'date_default_timezone_set('Europe/London');' to the /library/Framework/Framework.Class.Email.php file and it fixed it. I tried a similar approach with Notifi's Framework.Class.Email.php but it didn't fix the issue. Any ideas? Notice: Undefined variable: rolesAry in /home2/ourbigea/public_html/dev/forum/extensions/Notifi/default.php on line 296 A fatal, non-recoverable error has occurred Technical information (for support personel): Error Message An error occurred while sending the email. Affected Elements Email.Send(); The error occurred on or near: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. Please use the date.timezone setting, the TZ environment variable or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Denver' for 'MDT/-6.0/DST' instead For additional support documentation, visit the Lussumo Documentation website at: lussumo.com/docs Thanks! tate
  • Are you using Notifi 1.7.3 and Vanilla 1.1.5a, or are you using older versions? The reason I ask is that if you use the latest version of both, the Framework.Class.Email.php file in the Notifi folder will be skipped, it isn't needed anymore with Vanilla 1.1.5+.
  • Hi SubJunk, Yes, I am using both Notifi 1.7.3 and Vanilla 1.1.5a. I tried removing the Framework.Class.Email.php from the Notifi folder and I got an include error.
  • Hmmm...
    Well let's do an experiment.
    Open extensions/Notifi/default.php and find lines 273 to 279, they should be this: // Include the custom email class if (!isset($Configuration['DEFAULT_EMAIL_MIME_TYPE'])) { include_once('_includes/Framework.Class.Email.php'); } else { $Configuration['DEFAULT_EMAIL_MIME_TYPE'] = 'text/html'; }Replace them with just this: $Configuration['DEFAULT_EMAIL_MIME_TYPE'] = 'text/html';and tell me what happens, and if it does work, if the emails look normal or like a bunch of code.
  • Hi SubJunk, I switched out the code in default.php and I am getting the same error (below). No email was sent either. Notice: Undefined variable: rolesAry in /home2/ourbigea/public_html/dev/forum/extensions/Notifi/default.php on line 290 Notice: Undefined variable: php_errormsg in /home2/ourbigea/public_html/dev/forum/library/Framework/Framework.Class.Email.php on line 165 A fatal, non-recoverable error has occurred Technical information (for support personel): Error Message An error occurred while sending the email. Affected Elements Email.Send(); For additional support documentation, visit the Lussumo Documentation website at: lussumo.com/docs Thanks! tate
  • Ok I'll whisper you from now on until we find a solution
  • just tried the latest version and not getting any luck....

when I click to subscribe to a discussion I get:

[Thu Oct 16 18:26:35 2008] [error] [client 00.00.00.00] PHP Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated - argument passed by value; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of [runtime function name](). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file. However, future versions may not support this any longer. in ****/extensions/Notifi/ajax.php on line 13, referer: http://bbs.****/comments.php?DiscussionID=46&page=1 [Thu Oct 16 18:26:35 2008] [error] [client 00.00.00.00] PHP Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated - argument passed by value; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of [runtime function name](). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file. However, future versions may not support this any longer. in ****/extensions/Notifi/ajax.php on line 15, referer: http://bbs.****/comments.php?DiscussionID=46&page=1 [Thu Oct 16 18:26:35 2008] [error] [client 00.00.00.00] PHP Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated - argument passed by value; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of [runtime function name](). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file. However, future versions may not support this any longer. in ****/extensions/Notifi/ajax.php on line 18, referer: http://bbs.****/comments.php?DiscussionID=46&page=1 [Thu Oct 16 18:26:35 2008] [error] [client 00.00.00.00] PHP Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated - argument passed by value; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of [runtime function name](). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file. However, future versions may not support this any longer. in ****/extensions/Notifi/ajax.php on line 22, referer: http://bbs.****/comments.php?DiscussionID=46&page=1

using:

PHP 5.1.6 (cli) (built: Jul 16 2008 19:53:00)

if I tick the "email me every time" in my account settings, in my error_log, I get the above errors again, plus:

[Thu Oct 16 18:41:44 2008] [error] [client 00.00.00.00] PHP Notice: Undefined index: NOTIFI_ALLOW_KEEPEMAILING in ****/extensions/Notifi/default.php on line 78, referer: http://bbs.****/account.php?u=1&PostBackAction=Notification
  • sorry, to elaborate, discussions are being subscribed to, but no email is being sent out - with and without explicitly setting the smtp server in the main settings.

there are no logs that it even attempted to send out the email.
  • I have Vanilla 1.1.5a install with Notifi 1.7.3, and Notifi doesn't seem to be working at all. Here's the PHP warnings from the apache error log: PHP Warning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /var/www/html/forum/extensions/Notifi/default.php on line 209, referer: https://localhost/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=542&page=1 PHP Warning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /var/www/html/forum/extensions/Notifi/default.php on line 221, referer: https://localhost/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=542&page=1 PHP Warning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /var/www/html/forum/extensions/Notifi/default.php on line 231, referer: https://localhost/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=542&page=1 Ideas? Updated: Running this MySQL statement fixes that error: ALTER TABLE `LUM_User` ADD `KeepEmailing` TINYINT( 1 ) DEFAULT 0; Apparently _install.php doesn't do that by default? :(
  • After fixing the MySQL error, I ran into this error: PHP Notice: Undefined variable: rolesAry in /var/www/html/forum/extensions/Notifi/default.php on line 296, referer: https://localhost/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=542 PHP Notice: Undefined variable: rolesAry in /var/www/html/forum/extensions/Notifi/default.php on line 296, referer: https://localhost/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=542 PHP Notice: Undefined variable: rolesAry in /var/www/html/forum/extensions/Notifi/default.php on line 296, referer: https://localhost/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=542 I fixed it by adding: $rolesAry = array(); before this block of code: while ($row = mysql_fetch_row($results)) { $rolesAry[] = $row; }
  • tekhammer's issue was fixed, was just an oversight on his end.

Still working on tate's problem, hopefully we can fix that soon.

reedloden, yes declaring the array was overlooked in the last release. It has been in the code for a while but I had been waiting to do some more things before releasing another version. I guess it causes problems on some PHP installs though so I will release the update.
    As for the KeepEmailing column, yes the logic in the installer is all screwed up. It has always been a problem and I need to fix it. It's hard because the original author of the extension Notify, which Notifi is based on, used this bad method of installing and upgrading (no offense to him, I am sure he is a good programmer, we all make bad judgements) so it is hard for me to keep upgradeability from old versions while fixing the installation code. I tried once with version 1.5 and it broke the extension haha, so I need to take the time to really fix it fully.
    So, I will release a bugfix now that fixes some PHP errors and warnings and the installer problems (hopefully). The new features are still coming, but of course bugfixes are more important :)
    I will be watching this discussion closely to catch any bugs caused by the installer changes. It should be ok though.
  • Uploaded version 1.7.4 of Notifi.
  • For some reason I wasn't able to upload a zip file so I had to use a rar file. Sorry for the problems that causes but I couldn't find a way to get around it.
  • RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    Can this extension be setup so that Notification is on by default for the person who starts the discussion? For example, they get an email as soon as someone replies (the next email should not be sent until after the original poster has replied)

I had a previous forum setup like this and it was great because it reminds new members to come back and check out the replies they recieved, instead of having them forget that they posted there
  • Yes it can, I put that option on the Account tab. In that tab, click Notification on the left, then check "Automatically subscribe me to discussions I have started". It should be selected by default.
  • Will this plugin work with Vanilla 1.1.5?