Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Mark as Read

edited October 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Is there a mark all as read button that I'm missing in Vanilla 2?

I found this:
http://vanillaforums.org/addon/348-mark-all-read-redux

Are plugins for Vanilla 1 ever compatible with Vanilla 2?

Thanks,
Mike
Tagged:

Comments

• I dont think there is.
    Vanilla 1 plugins are not usually compatible. But you could port it.
  • I probably will. I'm just waiting to see if my users like a Vanilla demo site over our current PHPBB site. I certainly do!
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    I have one waiting in the wings. It will be out by this weekend.
  • phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited December 2012

Hi everybody,

I tried to find a "Mark Discussion as Read"-Plugin, but couldn't find one.
    Is there a plugin?

My users are a little bit nerved by my yellow "n NEW" next to the title.

For example it would be great it people could click on the "n NEW" and the mark would vanish.

Any other ideas?

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • good idea - until someone decides to write one - you could

enable allviewed plugin.

You could tell your users to read all the discussions they want. After that. click "Mark All Viewed" and click discussions on menu tab instead of using the back on their browsers.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@phreak All Viewed has been distributed with Vanilla for quote a while now. You already have it. :)

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

@peregrine and @Lincoln: Thanx yep, but it's not really the solution i'm looking for. :/

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • What happened to the All Viewed Plugin?

Suddenly, it's broken - when you mark all as viewed, and somebody posts a new comment, the unread count resets to all comment count. Then, the plugin page here in vanillaforums.org disappeared.

• On a related note, a mark this discussion as read (not all) plugin would be great.

• AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Headband Afficionado Cole Harbour, NS ✭✭✭

@phreak said:
    Hi everybody,

I tried to find a "Mark Discussion as Read"-Plugin, but couldn't find one.
    Is there a plugin?

My users are a little bit nerved by my yellow "n NEW" next to the title.

For example it would be great it people could click on the "n NEW" and the mark would vanish.

Any other ideas?

I've had users asking for this too. Kinda surprised it hasn't shown up as a plugin yet.

• @AaronWebstey said:
    I've had users asking for this too. Kinda surprised it hasn't shown up as a plugin yet.

what's your goal. Allviewed doesn't work for you?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

@peregrine said:
    what's your goal. Allviewed doesn't work for you?

Yeah, I think I should have quoted @tonex‌ - essentially, they would like to see a 'mark read' option in each discussion's gear drop-down. Just like the one that you see for each category in the Categories view, but for individual discussions. While using Allviewed as you specified above does technically work, they (and I, to be honest) would prefer to be able to choose individual discussions to mark as read.

The main reason it has come up is because I've added a link to the 'unread' URL on the menu bar, and it's seeing a lot of use. When viewing a long list of unread discussions, especially over multiple visits (e.g. I have time to respond to 3 or 4 new discussions tonight, then plan to return tomorrow night to respond to a few more), it would be easier to knock out discussions in which I'm not interested as I go through the list, rather than having them sit in the list along with the interesting ones.

I know we're probably being picky and/or lazy, but I think it would really enhance the user experience. I've added it to my todo list, but I feel like with my current experience level I might need at least an hour or 2 of focus to make sure I'm doing it right. I'll let you know if I come up with something!

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Adding a "Mark as Read" button to the individual discussion list does sound like a nice idea. It will bloat your UserDiscussion table compared to using the "Mark All Viewed" button.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

Thanks for the heads-up; I'm not familiar enough with the database yet to have thought of that. Very much appreciated!

• BleistivtBleistivt Moderator
    edited December 2014

I like the idea too.
    That turned out to be a very simple plugin. It might even be my final plugin of 2014 (!)

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/markdiscussionread-plugin

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

@Bleistivt said:
    I like the idea too.
    That turned out to be a very simple plugin. It might even be my final plugin of 2014 (!)

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/markdiscussionread-plugin

it seemed like it might be simple :wink: Actually the task seems much easier now that I get ideas from your code :). Nice coding.

• If you are going to mark hundreds of individual discussions as read, it will become kind of tedious, so a user would rather click the "mark all read" button.

Anyway, with this plugin CommentModel->SetWatch will make a single Insert, similar to when you read a discussion you haven't read before.

My current workflow for "marking" discussions as read would be just middle-click-opening all of them, which is way more stressing for the server.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

insightful,

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

@Bleistivt said: It might even be my final plugin of 2014 (!)

glad you said might! you could probably knock out a few hundred more!