Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Unpleasant effect in Internet Explorer

Hello I need to fix this. In Internet Explorer there is a problem when you click on a message forum and is moving down to the scroll area forum, does not happen in other browsers, Internet Explorer only. It's like an anchor effect, is there any way to fix this?

Comments

• What version of Internet Explorer are you running? Which version of Vanilla?

Is it loading the page and scrolling you down, or is it loading the page at that point?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• ClisterClister New
    edited March 2013

I pass a link for you to see. It happens in all versions of Internet Explorer.

http://goo.gl/HIcR0

The forum is in button foro

• I tested it in Internet Explorer 8 on Windows 7 and there is no scrolling effect. Same with Firefox 19.0 and Chrome 25.0.1364.152.

Can anyone else reproduce this?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Displacement occurs when clicking a post on the forum, to do the web goes down and gets up to the forum.

• Internet Explorer is unpleasant .... that is what needs fixing ...

• and no way to fix it?

• Sure there is ! Don't use it , tell users you don't support crappy browsers and help change the world for a better place :)

• There is no reason to not support IE 9+ as it is still used by many people. That said, I am unable to reproduce the issue @Clister has.

Search first

• @hgtonight said:
    There is no reason to not support IE 9+ as it is still used by many people.

I agree. As much as I dislike having to fix glitches in IE, its market share is too big to be ignored just because "it's crappy". Working with it is definitely unpleasant, but it's part of the job of a Web Developer and, even more so, of a Web Designer. It's a "necessary evil".

That said, I am unable to reproduce the issue Clister has.

Same here. Perhaps I misunderstood the issue, but the site seems to work properly to me.

• The issue may be , a pc issue, I disagree with folding due to an ever shrinking market share. People use it because it comes with the package but once they learn how crappy it is then they use something else. Perpetuating it's existence by supporting it is counter intuitive And disingenuous In my opinion. I even have a noIE icon in my website to further help in the matter. If what you have people want they will use another browser. Then they will thank you.

• ClisterClister New
    edited March 2013

I'll see if I can explain it better. Sorry for my English.
    It turns out that upon entering the forum section of my site, click on any message to the forum, the lower web and puts up the message. It's like an anchoring effect, as when you put an anchor in html and click goes to the site. In chrome and Mozilla, the page is always up, as it should be.

http://goo.gl/HIcR0

• Write it in spanish also may help me understand what it is that you mean. Where did you put the anchor ? Español porfavor ?

• I think he is referring to #

Jump to first unread message

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Resulta que al pinchar un post del foro para entrar a leerlo en internet explorer al pinchar me baja la web a la altura del foro, dejándose de ver la cabecera. Es como una especie de efecto ancla, de las que se usan en html para ir a una parte de la página en concreto.

Aquí una imagen de un ancla en dreamweaver:

• Lo que tiene que ajustar es la anchura de la parte que se corre para arriba. usar css para que no pace eso con IE. O sea que cuando usted hace click lo que sale es mas grande que lo que esta arriba y entonces ocupa su lugar pero eso no gusta entonces se tendrá que ajustar la anchura y la altura de lo que esta arriba de los resultados.

• I think I got it now. If you open the site, then click on "foro", a list of forum posts will appear. Clicking on any of the titles will scroll the page up as if the link were a "#" identifier.

• Pero sucede al pinchar en cualquier botón del foro, se pone el navegador a la altura del foro en vez de quedarse como estaba al pincipio.

• ClisterClister New
    edited March 2013

exact, that is. That's what he does businessdad.

• @vrijvlinder said:
    The issue may be , a pc issue, I disagree with folding due to an ever shrinking market share. People use it because it comes with the package but once they learn how crappy it is then they use something else.

It's true that the market share for IE is shrinking, but it's still significant. Perhaps, one day, Microsoft will realise that they are losing ground and they will rewrite the whole IE to adhere to the standards, like everybody else (IE9 is already much better, from this perspective, than previous versions). In any case, I still think that pages should be as browser-agnostic as reasonably possible.

• edited March 2013

Here is the embed code for your foro
    Notice the sizes one says height 1000px and the other height 600px

< iframe id="vanilla77697" name="vanilla77697" src="website url removed?p=/&t=1363129778970&remote=website url removed" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" border="0" width="100%" height="1000" style="width: 100%; height: 600px; border: 0px; display: block; " >< /iframe >

I think the issue is the sizes are wrong and when the page moves on him all the links open the same page. Like they have some links that are not from vanilla above the box where vanilla is. I think the height of the embed is wrong.