Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Banner - rotating pictures?

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I had already added Firebug, does this add a new feature of duplicate one, please?

It adds features I use it along with firebug and other web inspectors. This one is simpler than firebug for editing css

edited July 2013

The entire content of exp.css in extrapage is:

yea you made a mistake there somehow,

when you make a rule you always use like this

text-ident: 0px;
    line-height: 1.7;

not like the

text-ident; 0px; <---you made a typo 
    line-height; 1.7;<---you made a typo 

• @vrijvlinder said:
    Your Favicon should go in the design folder so it gets picked up automatically and/ or change the link to the favicons in the default.master.php

Favicon?

Uh oh, I have seen something in a folder somewhere labeled favicon but it was a tiny pink heart as I recall.

the favicon is the little picture that goes next to the url of your site in the browser address bar. You can use a custom favicon or the browser puts it's own.

you made a typo here lol it should be indent

}

• re. the clear cache thing - I just discovered (in Firefox) History - Clear Recent History - then all of the various settings.
    I presume that I need merely uncheck everything but cache (and perhaps select the Last Hour vs Everything) and that will get it done?

• @vrijvlinder said:
    you made a typo here lol it should be indent

}

Just put my reading glasses on ... thanks! ;-)

I presume that I need merely uncheck everything but cache (and perhaps select the Last Hour vs Everything) and that will get it done?

yes uncheck all except the cache if you want to keep the history

• @vrijvlinder said:
    the favicon is the little picture that goes next to the url of your site in the browser address bar. You can use a custom favicon or the browser puts it's own.

Do you ever miss even the tiniest of detail? ;-)

BTW: Our 18yr old son likes heavy metal so when he returns I will have him have a listen to some of your creations. I date back to playing Led Zeppelin over and over in the dining area of college so I could cram for an exam ...

Do you ever miss even the tiniest of detail? ;-)

Well the way I see it , if it can be customized, it should be customized , and customized good !

• ;-) I have to go into town for a couple of hours ... back at this adventure later. Thanks!

Your welcome, I hope this has helped you get you forum underway :)

• I just took a tiny pic, reduced it to 24x24 and saved it as .png

Then I created a folder in the Vanilla area of my host server and copied it there.

Then I went to default.master.php and found three lines:

<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="/RedWood/apple-touch-icon114x114.png">
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/RedWood/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/RedWood/favicon.ico" type="image/icon">

I see that you have a "favicon.ico" in /RedWood as well as apple-touch-icon114x114.png and apple-touch-icon256x256.png but there's no image file in /design and lots of them in /design/images

As usual I am confused as to what to do ...

yes I noticed that error too good thing you saw it, thanks for bringing it up. I think I put a sample favicon in there . Just delete it or change the name of it.

the correct link to the favicons should be

/themes/RedWood/design/favicon.png

just fix those links and put your favicon.png and .ico and apple-touch-icon in the design folder. Not in the images folder , the design folder only.

• edited July 2013

OK, made this change:

<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="/themes/RedWood/design/apple-touch-icon114x114.png">
        <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/themes/RedWood/design/favicon.png" type="image/x-icon">
        <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/themes/RedWood/design/favicon.png" type="image/icon">

Moved "favicon.ico", "apple-touch-icon114x114.png, and "apple-touch-icon256x256.png, to /themes/RedWood/design/
    Then could not figure out how to change "favicon.ico" to "favicon.png"
    I tried to just rename it but don't see any change in the icon next to the displayed URL, do you?

edited July 2013

I see the sample favicon I put in there. I believe it is a png though.

to make ico files from png use this site

http://www.favicongenerator.org

to make png and apple-touch-icons and ico

http://www.iconj.com/iphone_style_icon_generator.php

• Is this where you'd use Web Developer Extension?
    I wondered what was the purpose of the apple-prefixed image.
    So the changes I made appear to be functioning correctly at oachegroup.org/?

the apple touch icon is so that it appears like an app on the mobile phone and you can save it there like an app and reach the forum like that. It works as a book mark with an image.

yes I see them , I see the icons and the links are correct. You did well.

If you want a different one you can make them at the sites I gave you above.

you must make the different sizes for the different devices. You can also use gif files and animated ones but they only work in some browsers. The png is the way to go, but others think different so I just add one of each to satisfy everyone :)

• I just tried the "Don't have an account? Create One." and created a test account - which was submitted for administrator approval.
    Bad News! It went right past the Force Redirect and it also granted the account immediate access to the site.
    What do I do?

• Note: We don't need the self sign-up feature at all. A potential member needs to read the linked docs from Visitor, email questions, then print the application and submit it with a check. So can can eliminate that code ... but there may be something in our experience that suggests a needed fix somewhere, perhaps in ForceRedirect?