Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Try Vanilla Forums Cloud product
Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.

Setting up Multiple forums (as it's done on css-tricks.com)

I'm trying to setup Vanilla Forums as it's done on css-tricks.com, i.e. there are multiple forums and the root slug is /forums. So you get pathways like:

/forums/forum/design-den

and so on...

Does anyone know how to accomplish this??

Comments

• It's probably done using .htaccess so you should read into that.

If you give 2 example forum names that you want to set up using Vanilla maybe the solution can be really easy

• R_JR_J Cheerleader & Troubleshooter Munich Moderator

What they are calling "forums" are categories in vanilla-speak

UnderDog
  • Okay that's what I thought. What's the right way to rename them?

• UnderDogUnderDog Moderator
    edited November 2013

@fraxture said:
    Okay that's what I thought. What's the right way to rename them?

@UnderDog said:
    It's probably done using .htaccess so you should read into that.

fraxture
  • hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Go to the dashboard and click on categories :D

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

UnderDog
  • @hgtonight said:
    Go to the dashboard and click on categories :D

Sorry I didn't mean the categories themselves, but the slug, so that it appears not as sitename.org/categories but as sitename.org/forums...

edited November 2013

The categories in the URL is required by the dispatcher to determine what controller to use.

It is unfortunately not possible at the moment to remove the 'categories' or change it to some arbitrary name.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

UnderDog
  • fraxturefraxture
    edited November 2013

@hgtonight said:
    The categories in the URL is required by the dispatcher to determine what controller to use.

It is unfortunately not possible at the moment to remove the 'categories' or change it to some arbitrary name.

Hmm... But they've done it on css-tricks.com/forums...
    Perhaps as @UnderDog said it's the .htaccess file

UnderDog

As far as I can tell, CSS Tricks isn't using Vanilla.

Either that or he has a seriously customized version of it.

Search first

UnderDog
  • They're using bbPress

• @50sQuiff said:
    They're using bbPress

why do you say that? that post i noted seems to indicate otherwise, although it's old?

I remember the forums looking differently around the time that blog post was made.

The slug structure is vastly different, there are no common assets (to Vanilla) being loaded, etc.

Search first

UnderDog

They were using Vanilla but they have migrated a few month ago

• ShadowdareShadowdare π Moderator

I can confirm that they are using bbPress currently.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app | Publish articles with the Articles app

• Hmmmm... Interesting his critiques of Vanilla:

This move was inspired by a few things.

>

• Heavy spam again, with nowhere to turn to fight it. One plan was to force email verification, but that >setting had a bug where emails would never get verified and bug users forever. I could never find a fix.
    • I didn't love the theming. It was hard for me to figure out what stuff was in what files, then when I did >figure it out, you had to copy that entire file over to your theme and customize it there. That made it safe >to upgrade, but also meant that upgrading didn't do anything because you are overriding any new >changes.
    • The Vanilla community is fairly small and I didn't find it particularly helpful. I'm sure they are nice folks, >but I could never seem to get the help I needed.
    • Every other part of this site is powered by WordPress, so bringing it all under one roof was mega >appealing. bbPress is just a plugin for WordPress now, meaning an account on CSS-Tricks works for the >Forums, The Lodge, and for commenting on the blog. Not to mention spam blocking via Akismet and >custom controls (we were getting terrible "Kitchen" related spam, and now I just mark as Pending any new >thread that has that word in it.)

What do you guys think of these criticisms?

The only one I give credence to (and am slightly hurt by) is the third one about community support.

The rest of them are more general issues with most forum software IMO.

Search first

UnderDog
  • Well, yeah. The thing about the community being small might be true? But I've found you all very helpful!

• The ones that worried me were the spamming issue, and the theming/upgrading issue:

I didn't love the theming. It was hard for me to figure out what stuff was in what files, then when I did figure it out, you had to copy that entire file over to your theme and customize it there. That made it safe to upgrade, but also meant that upgrading didn't do anything because you are overriding any new changes.

Is this true?

1. There are numerous threads about spam and it seems to me as if there are some ways to fight it. The owner of css-tricks fled from phpbb because of spam and went to vanilla. Now he turns away from Vanilla (partly) because of spam. If that has been the only reason, it would have been no reason.
    2. Vanilla is based on a MVC framework. If you work the right way, in your views there should be (nearly) no logic. If there is no logic, there is no need to update them. Only the underlying functions must change. That's what it's supposed to do. If you realize it in another way, every update destroys your changes completely. I prefer the Vanilla way, but that's just a matter of taste
    3. Yes, the community is painfully small (and I'm missing a "warmer tone" sometimes) but most questions get answered. It's sad that the guy from css-tricks made another experience
    4. Having only one software to look at is very appealing and that alone would be reason enough to change the software.
    fraxtureUnderDog
  • Great responses @R_J

• Actually, one of the reasons -- which may have been wrong-headed -- that I turned to Vanilla, was that I wanted to disaggregate our forum from our site. My reason for wanting to do that was a sense that the forum, which is massive, was weighing down our wordpress site. Now, however, I think the problem may have simply been that SimplePress is really really clunky. I'm in the process of testing out bbPress with my content, just to see how the site performs with all that data still in side the wordpress db. One thing I can say so far is that the importer experience is much better than with Vanilla. It's just working, no bugs so far.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the validity of my reason for disagregating the forum and the wordpress site. Was this based on a/man false assumption(s)?

@fraxture: I have seen your question after my post so I like to say something more to the update argument.
    If you find an error the way data is fetched from the database, you change the model, if there is a security issue with the routing, controller has to be changed, but the view, that is how your forum looks like, could be completely designed by yourself. So if any security issues get fixed, you do not have to fix your theme. that's a plus for Vanilla.

But if you like to participate from all the shiny new features of a new version, you have to change your views. That's a minus for Vanilla.

To my understanding, if you have tweaked the look of your forum, you would have to tweak it again if a new version with new features (and most probably a new look) is released and so the negative point doesn't weigh too heavy...

• custom css goes in custom.css and you can register additional style sheets.

it is simply false that you have to copy the "entire theme" whatever the means. A minimum theme can have two files and design folder.

Vanilla does not do file management for you, but you really shouldn't assign you file management to a web application anyway.

grep is your friend.

UnderDog

I am no db expert, but I assume the difference between running the forum tables on the same db as your cms vs running the tables on a separate db would be negligible.

If you are looking for a good cms and a good forum, in my experience they will invariably have to be run on different software.

Search first

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... Moderator

Sorry?

Someone who runs a site called CSS-Tricks couldn't get the hang of theming in Vanilla?

Seriously?

:\

hgtonightUnderDogperegrine
  • @hgtonight, I may not have understood what you are saying correctly, but your first and second points seem to contradict. If there is no negligible difference, then why should a cms and a forum need to be run on different software? What's throwing me for a loop here is that the css-tricks guy would opt for bbPress, which works as a plugin and claims to be quite fast.

That was a little confusing. Sorry.

The first point is about databases. The second is about software and frameworks.

The best cms does not run on garden. Garden is the framework the best forum software runs on. (Hint: It starts with V and ends with nilla).

Search first

R_JUnderDog