Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Setting up Multiple forums (as it's done on css-tricks.com)

I'm trying to setup Vanilla Forums as it's done on css-tricks.com, i.e. there are multiple forums and the root slug is /forums. So you get pathways like:

/forums/forum/design-den

and so on...

Does anyone know how to accomplish this??

Tagged:

Comments

• It's probably done using .htaccess so you should read into that.

If you give 2 example forum names that you want to set up using Vanilla maybe the solution can be really easy

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

What they are calling "forums" are categories in vanilla-speak

• Okay that's what I thought. What's the right way to rename them?

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited November 2013

@fraxture said:
    Okay that's what I thought. What's the right way to rename them?

@UnderDog said:
    It's probably done using .htaccess so you should read into that.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Go to the dashboard and click on categories :D

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @hgtonight said:
    Go to the dashboard and click on categories :D

Sorry I didn't mean the categories themselves, but the slug, so that it appears not as sitename.org/categories but as sitename.org/forums...

edited November 2013

The categories in the URL is required by the dispatcher to determine what controller to use.

It is unfortunately not possible at the moment to remove the 'categories' or change it to some arbitrary name.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• fraxturefraxture
    edited November 2013

@hgtonight said:
    The categories in the URL is required by the dispatcher to determine what controller to use.

It is unfortunately not possible at the moment to remove the 'categories' or change it to some arbitrary name.

Hmm... But they've done it on css-tricks.com/forums...
    Perhaps as @UnderDog said it's the .htaccess file

As far as I can tell, CSS Tricks isn't using Vanilla.

Either that or he has a seriously customized version of it.

Search first

• They're using bbPress

• @50sQuiff said:
    They're using bbPress

why do you say that? that post i noted seems to indicate otherwise, although it's old?

I remember the forums looking differently around the time that blog post was made.

The slug structure is vastly different, there are no common assets (to Vanilla) being loaded, etc.

Search first

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

They were using Vanilla but they have migrated a few month ago

• I can confirm that they are using bbPress currently.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Hmmmm... Interesting his critiques of Vanilla:

This move was inspired by a few things.

>

• Heavy spam again, with nowhere to turn to fight it. One plan was to force email verification, but that >setting had a bug where emails would never get verified and bug users forever. I could never find a fix.
    • I didn't love the theming. It was hard for me to figure out what stuff was in what files, then when I did >figure it out, you had to copy that entire file over to your theme and customize it there. That made it safe >to upgrade, but also meant that upgrading didn't do anything because you are overriding any new >changes.
    • The Vanilla community is fairly small and I didn't find it particularly helpful. I'm sure they are nice folks, >but I could never seem to get the help I needed.
    • Every other part of this site is powered by WordPress, so bringing it all under one roof was mega >appealing. bbPress is just a plugin for WordPress now, meaning an account on CSS-Tricks works for the >Forums, The Lodge, and for commenting on the blog. Not to mention spam blocking via Akismet and >custom controls (we were getting terrible "Kitchen" related spam, and now I just mark as Pending any new >thread that has that word in it.)

What do you guys think of these criticisms?

The only one I give credence to (and am slightly hurt by) is the third one about community support.

The rest of them are more general issues with most forum software IMO.

Search first

• Well, yeah. The thing about the community being small might be true? But I've found you all very helpful!