A few updates since we recently synced up on our expectations for our next open source release internally.
- PHP: The minimum PHP version is moving from 5.2 to 5.4. A version checker needs to be added or refined.
- Addons: We are definitely including Advanced Editor. We are definitely not releasing Reactions yet. There's too much work left there.
- Features: Our main feature hurdle is getting our emoji parsing squared away. We need to review it so we don't get incorrect/unfinished implementations in the wild.
- Bugs: My biggest bug concern is our Markdown support. It's kinda gross right now. Related: Spoilers support.
- Versioning: We're still discussing our version number strategy. Suffice to say: the skip-a-number strategy isn't set in stone yet.
- Workflow: I'd like to see outstanding pull requests winnowed significantly before the release cycle starts.
I am very tired of backporting fixes to a version that is 1200 commits behind (hello, conflicts and double chores), so I'm looking forward to getting this party started soon. If there are things you want to see resolved before the next release, start filing issues & pull requests.