Vanilla 2.2 beta 1 is now available
Vanilla 2.2 beta 1 can now be downloaded. It requires PHP 5.3* and is NOT recommended for production environments or non-developers.
You must follow the normal upgrade process, including running /utility/update. You CANNOT DOWNGRADE after upgrading because 2.2 contains a change in password hashing that is irreversible.
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
- Install it on various hosting & server solutions.
- Make a copy of your existing forum (away from production) and then try upgrading.
- File issues on GitHub (accounts are free) or start a new discussion here. Either way, mention "2.2b1" as your version.
- File pull requests against
masterand mention they are for 2.2 in the first line of the description.
- Test out open source plugins with it. File issues on their repositories / addons pages if you find issues so the authors can investigate. Tell us which ones already work great, too.
- Everything work great? Super! You can still post here with your environment details (PHP & MySQL versions, server software version, OS version, whether MySQL is in strict mode) and say everything is coming up roses.
- More ways to contribute to Vanilla.
How we do release cycles:
- We pick a point and fork a
- We release 1-5 numbered betas (ex:
2.2b1) as we work on final fixes. No more features.
- We release 1-3 numbered release candidates (ex:
2.2rc1) with last-minute tweaks, usually environment-specific.
- We release a gold version that is officially designated with the major-point version (ex:
- We then do minor-point releases with patches as needed (ex:
- If we need a second or third patch within 24 hours of a minor-point release we may do a rare "patch" release (ex:
Support for 2.1 will cease immediately with the gold release of 2.2.
Repo branching notes:
2.0branch has been deleted.
- 2.1 is now on
- 2.2 has been forked as
masterwill press forward with its 2.2.100.x numbering scheme until we fork for the next version.
*Note on PHP version: We always recommend the latest PHP stable release. The next major release of Vanilla will require 5.4 which may happen as early as this year.