Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Yaga on = Blank page

Comments

• edited September 2015

Update:

Just increased memory again (most of my visitors are asleep atm) and ran the update page ... 'update was not successful'. But in the footer of the dashboard I see Version 2.1.11 so I don't know what that means!

Anyway, site's ticking along again on the Bittersweet theme. Going to try turning things back on ... slowly.

Thanks thanks thanks for the quick responses!

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Please remove the _Quotes plugin from the enable list. Unless this an intentional fork you made.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2015

'update was not successful'

you need to correct this!!!!!

delete ini files in cache as well.

run utility/structure (do you see any problems?)

rescan and run again.

then run utility/update a few times.

you want things to be successful, otherwise you will have issues!!

also turn on debugging if necessary in the config.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/28420/faq Question 29.

the civiltongue words in your config were a treat!!! :grin:

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Also, reset your cookie-salt (and installation secret) if you don't want me to login to your forum as your new admin :winky:

Always remove these sensitive values when you publish your config.php.

• @mtschirs said:
    Also, reset your cookie-salt (and installation secret) if you don't want me to login to your forum as your new admin :winky:

Always remove these sensitive values when you publish your config.php.

Oops.

Can these be any random values? Or is there a proper reset button somewhere?

• @hgtonight said:
    Please remove the _Quotes plugin from the enable list. Unless this an intentional fork you made.

It is.

@Simeon_Griggs said:
    It is.

Awesome :)

@peregrine said:
    the civiltongue words in your config were a treat!!! :grin:

I got a :lol: out of that as well.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• edited September 2015

@peregrine

• No problems in the utility/structure
    • Ran update several times, still not successful
    • No errors reported with Debug on

Oh yeah the civil tongue words are a laugh ... I think they were the first item I found when googling 'swear words list' or something

• I don't know how to reset the installation secret (but that is only used for communication with the Vanilla analytics servers). Regarding the cookie salt: you have to replace it manually with any random string (treat it as the master-password to every user-account), but all active sessions will be logged out, i.e. every user has to re-login.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2015

@Simeon_Griggs said:
    No problems in the utility/structure
    Ran update several times, still not successful
    No errors reported with Debug on

do you have a really large database?
    you might try purging the activity table.
    emptying the log table.
    to reduce the size as well.

sounds like you need @linc

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

What the heck is a zipper sniffer?

@R_J said:
    What the heck is a zipper sniffer?

I imagine one that smells things generally kept behind zippers.

Search first

• edited September 2015

@peregrine

Thanks,

• Thought I had a cron job running for the GDN_Activity table, but just ran it in phpmyadmin and 158465 rows were removed. Still no difference and so dumped the whole lot, it was about 200MB
    • Cleared the log table too
    • Still can't complete the update
    • Still no issue with Database Structure Upgrades
    • Our Vanilla DB is 926.83 MB

And now that my traffic is up again the memory issue has returned.

:/

• ...is it an issue with having very large threads? We have one 1000 page thread with over 30k comments.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2015

@Simeon_Griggs said:
    ...is it an issue with having very large threads? We have one 1000 page thread with over 30k comments.

as far as update unsuccessful.

seem like a potential reason. you could try splitting in into 30-50 page discussion.

i guess linc didn't have any ideas for you or was busy.

as far as memory consumption issue.

Perhaps, you could test by creating a category that only you can see. Then move a few of the large discussions into that category so no one can post or view them and see if you still have problems.

If you don't have the memory issue after moving many of the 30 page plus discussions into a temporary hidden spot (as above), you might want to consider splitting large discussions.

You might also consider disabling most of the plugins unless they are really necessary for your forum to see if that mitigates the problem.

Wild Guess. perhaps it depends on the plugins.

you might need to do an in depth review of all your plugins to see which ones might not scale well or might consume lots of memory based on large discussions.

• Done, will see what happens.

Memory issue is presently stopping me from disabling/enabling plugins. Trying to activate Admin mode to kick all users out while I continue to work on a fix.

• @Simeon_Griggs said:
    Perhaps a separate issue but I'm now also getting bizarre alert messages on some threads when posting or deleting posts.

As an aside, I've got a pet theory that auto-draft can screw things up when posting. Can't prove it though.

If your community can do with out auto drafts, this might help you in some areas.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/stopautodraft-plugin

• Yeah we killed those awhile back, was driving users nuts.

• Tried increasing memory again and all I'm getting again is the blank page and fatal error. Even after a server reboot.

This sucks!

• Even with all the plugins and applications removed and the theme set to Bittersweet, I can't even load the front page without getting the memory warning. If I increase the memory limit to 256MB it will load (some) pages, but that obviously will bring down the server.

I can't understand how it uses so much memory loading almost nothing.