Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Yaga on = Blank page

13»

Comments

• Options

Would updating the PHP version be recommended? I'm using 5.4

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2015

what happens when you delete the .ini files from cache?
    what happens when you disable memcached on your server
    and remove it from your config.php
    does memory get exhausted as well?

you can check memory usage by putting

var_dump(memory_get_usage()); in the controllers at the top and in the index methods in controller. and interspersed in areas. although I don't know how that will really help but I found it was interesting :grin:

e.g. in my discussionscontroller.php

<?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit();
    var_dump("mem used A - " . memory_get_usage());

and in index in discussionscontroller.php

public function Index($Page = FALSE) {
    var_dump("mem used B - : " . memory_get_usage());

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    • Remove .ini in cache: no change
    • Disabled memcached and remove from config: no change
    • added get_memory_usage to index.php and got this: int(239328)

When you say discussionscontroller.php do you mean Applications > Vanilla > Controllers > class.discussionscontroller.php

Or am I looking in the wrong place?

• Options

Is it possible to 'regenerate' the config.php?

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I'm no pro but my thoughts on this are: if the config alone only hold some definitions (and no malicious code has been inserted), then it can never ever be the contents of the config file (look at its size: it will never be more than a few kb!).

If nearly no users are using your forum and you have that error, then it doesn't matter how huge threads you have in your forum (they are simply not loaded when no one is reading them.

If you have this problem with default theme and no plugins activated either your server is fucked up or your Vanilla files are corrupt. I guess you already have copied over the original files from a fresh download over your installation?

Then I would bet it is your server. Try setting up some other software on your server (Wordpress is memory hungry by default ;) ). If it has the same problems, you would know where to look at (at least the problem could be narrowed down to the setup).

Make sure you have the newest version of PHP/MySql (don't know how this should have the effect you've described, but it is never false to be up-to-date)

• Options

It just seems like making edits to the config is where the action is. If it's not corrupt, it may be triggering something else that is.

Even if I remove all the plugins and set the theme to default though I can't get it to load anything other than the error. I've tried once or twice to massively increase the memory limit, and it can get a page or two to load but risks crashing the server. This at least gives me hope the DB isn't corrupted.

I have already copied over a fresh install of Vanilla files but can't run the upgrade script either. My config still says 2.1.6 when I thought I was on 2.1.10 ... maybe the upgrades have never worked.

I'm setting up a WP install on the same server now, good idea, but I have a feeling it won't be an issue.

I'll try upgrading to PHP 5.5 next because hey, why not?

• Options
    edited September 2015

Okay so I changed the cookie Salt again, and deleted the locale-developer file in the cache folder along with all the .ini files (which I removed several times).

Right now, it's working.

Still have the issue of upgrades not being successful. Feel like I need to get this right.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Make sure the htaccess file is correct because it can be overwritten. Then run utility/structure

• Options

@vrijvlinder said:
    Make sure the htaccess file is correct because it can be overwritten. Then run utility/structure

I've run the structure with/without updating the .htaccess (my forum is in a subdirectory). The structure is correct apparently but the update still won't succeed.

• Options

Did you check that the htaccess file is correct? Sometimes it appears that update is not successful due to the htaccess file not being correct or not using RewriteUrl True or both.

• Options

I'm not sure what you mean by 'correct'. The site loads fine?

Also with my forum in a subdirectory, should the .htaccess be in the subdirectory or the root directory?

• Options
    edited September 2015

Yes, when you look at your htaccess file for the forum, is it correct ?

#RewriteBase /forum <<<<not correct

RewriteBase /forum <<<<<correct

• Options

I've run the updater with both variations, doesn't make a difference

• Options

do you have RewriteUrl True in the config ?

• Options

$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = TRUE;

• Options

Now I think we're getting somewhere. Forum was working blazing-fast again until a few people started getting back in. Then it started throwing errors in the notification box again.

So I cleared out the whole cache folder (including the locale.php file) and the errors disappear.