Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

SMF vs Vanilla any thoughts ?

Comments

• Options
    Hi bugsmi0, I have to agree Vanilla's choice of using CSS was a great one. One could theme Vanilla so much easily compared to SMF.

Hmmm... I never thought that it was addictive to the discussions in Vanilla, and it turns out it is. I would come back just to see what kind of new discussiosn there are. You can't get this in SMF, where you would have to go into each category and see a reply/topic to that category. In vanilla, you see everything, every reply/topic in every category, whih may urge readers to click and read.
  • Options
    bugsmio has highlighted a key feature of what makes Vanilla distinctive. Apart from its inherent css (which will appeal to admins), it's the discussion-centric nature of Vanilla that truly makes it stand out from nearly all other forums. As already said, having to wade into each category to find new posts favours the category over the discussion. I was wondering about why I suddenly started liking Vanilla: I thought I'd become enlightened, but maybe the discussion-addiction has kicked in! By the way I'm not knocking SMF. If I were to choose an alternative forum software it would be in my top three due to its robustness, support, security and easy upgradability. But Vanilla offers something else too, and does it extremely well.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    how is the password hash suppose to work as an extension ?
    do we do this after we import our SMF data or before
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    ---delete--> at first I thought the smf import was wacking out my Vanilla but that's not the problem, its a vanilla safari ajax issue perhaps still testing ;-)
  • Options
    I have made the decision to shift my smf forum and make it into a vanilla forum.

It sure means a big step for me as I'm now integrating it with wordpress. and they are both working perfectly.

(well just one bug currently, if you're registering thorugh vanilla, you will only get a contributor role in wordpress. If you register through wordpress, you willget an author role. Either way, it works!)

Forums: www.consolewatcher.com/forums
    Wordpress: www.consolewatcher.com (or www.consolewatcher.com/wp-register.php if you wanna register from wordpress)
  • Options
    Welcome to the SMF-to-Vanilla club :)
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    hi,

this links don't point to files anymore :( it takes you to fron page of a blog.
    Is it possible to get any link updates or alternative download locations?
    That would be great
    thx

The conversion script:
    http://cz.kicks-ass.net/smf-to-v.tar.gz

SMF Password Hash Extension
    http://cz.kicks-ass.net/SMFPasswordHash.tar.gz
  • Options
    I have to say, I hate all forum software. I always have found them contrary to the natural process of conversation. Then comes Vanilla. My forum has been buzzing with great conversation ever since. Every time I have to go over to another community (usually vBullatin) I shudder with disgust. Those guys have no idea what they are doing. Long live vanilla!
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    There are working links in this comment.
  • Options
    thanks Ø :)

Converting begins...

SMF forum which will be converted: http://www.e-participacija.si/forum_EU/

Can someone give me piece of advice how to make similar left menu navigation?
  • Options
    What about performance how does Vanilla performs under heavy usage when compared to SMF?
  • Options
    For starters...
    • less bandwidth usage
    • less overhead/load
    • less "bloat"
    SMF is very good for what it is (massive feature packed beast), but so is Vanilla. Vanilla is more of an "a la carte" environment. It starts you out with the basics, and you can pick up what you need via extensions. So out of the box Vanilla has a ton less bloat, and functions very well. It's a lean, mean, fighting machine.

Until recently, I was one of the lead dev's for a project that was very heavily centered on SMF. I had to depart due to my schedule, and some other personal reasons, but since then I've been missing the interaction and production environment. After having lurked around Vanilla since late last spring, I finally got into it more. The more I work with it, the more I love it.
  • Options
    I suppose you could add custom links using Side Panel and make them point to custom pages with Page Manager. Depending of your needs, it should do the trick.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Just change a few things in library\Vanilla\Vanilla.Functions.php from lines 14 to 34 as Wallphone suggested here. I replaced the whole chunk with his code and the comas disappeared.
  • Options
    <quote> thanks Ø :) Converting begins... SMF forum which will be converted: http://www.e-participacija.si/forum_EU/ Can someone give me piece of advice how to make similar left menu navigation? </quote> Looks like he didn't manage to convert it?
  • Options
    Will the links in the side panel just be pages that you will create with the Page Manager extension? Or will there be more?
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hi! Lately, I've tried to convert SMF to Vanilla. Script works, ofcourse (thx Steve!), but i have some probs with polish characters (like ą,ć,ę,ł,ń,ó,ź,ż). They are being converted to "??". How to solve this problem? Regards, Peter :)
  • Options
    That's quite a problem. Have a look at this discussion, it should help you understanding this issue. The patch can be found here, hoping you're running on MySQL 4.1 or higher.
  • Options
    Hi, I'm trying to migrate from smf 1.1 final to last release of Vanilla. I did a first test, and the migration seems to works fine. But I have a problem with the special characters because the language of my forum is spanish. So, the characters á, é, í, ó and ú are showed as "?" After check the discussion you point in the post above it, I did the change that guy says, and then I get an error when I try to do a new installation: A fatal, non-recoverable error has occurred Technical information (for support personel): Error Message An error occurred while attempting to retrieve the requested user. Affected Elements UserManager.GetSessionDataById(); The error occurred on or near: Table 'v103.lum_user' doesn't exist So, is there another way to avoid this problem, or a guide to fix it ? Thank you !
  • Options
    Well, I've no idea why you get this error, but it probably comes from several changes in Vanilla's install since the 1.0.1 version. I'm not skilled enough in PHP & MySQL to investigate further. However, I can provide my patched 1.0.1 version.

You'll find it here. Try to make a fresh intall then upgrade to the 1.0.3 version. I'm not sure it will work but it should help.