Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

SMF vs Vanilla any thoughts ?

Comments

• Options
    thank you ! I gonna test it !
  • Options
    Your script is working fine with the patched 1.0.1 version, and also when I upgrade to 1.0.3 version. Thank you !
  • Options
    You're welcome, I'm glad it helped :)
  • Options
    I found a problem. I tested 2 users using the extension SMFPasswordHash. The users can login without problems. But now I found the users can't change their password. Every time I try to do it, I get an error telling the old password is bad. I think this could be a problem of your extension. What do you think ? Thank you !
  • Options
    Err, this is not my extension, it's Steve who made the PasswordHash thingy. I had various problems with it: the password worked, but not for all users. It appears to only work correctly with SMF 1.1 RC1 or below from what I've understood.

My solution was painful but simple: I disabled the extension and asked all of my users to reset their passwords.
  • Options
    But if you disabled the PasswordHash extension, the users can't login and reset their passwords...
  • Options
    Yes they can, they just need to use the forgotten password form and enter their username. Then they'll receive an email wich will allow them to change their password.
  • Options
    Hi!

I finally decided to convert SMF to Vanilla...
    SMF version: 1.1 RC3
    Vanilla version 1.0.3

I had absolutely no problems with converting categories/comments/users/discussions. It worked like a charm.
    http://www.e-participacija.si/forum_EU/
    http://www.e-participacija.si/forum2/

But I don't understand how the SMF Password Hash works. I installed it like an extension and enabled it. Is that all? How does it work?
    A tried to log in as a different users and it doesn't work. What have I missed?
    thx
  • Options
    I fear this extension doesn't work with latest SMF versions. Maybe you should try to contact Steve to see if he can update it.
  • Options
    I was just thinking if you don't find a solution, you may want to install Massmailer to explain your users how to change their passwords, with a direct link to /people.php?PostBackAction=PasswordRequestForm. It's quite useful in this situation.
  • Options
    Thanks, Both ideas are great :)
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    @medy: Looking to convert from SMF and I tried the links to your converter script, but I got 404s. As for general impressions of SMF vs Vanilla, I think I have finally found that which I desire. I well-done, semantic, valid and extensible online community software. I have been using SMF for about 6 months and just installed MKPortal last week. While I initially liked the added features and customizations ability, I found the complete solution bloated, awkward and just plain cluttered (even after turning off many features and altering css and HTML code). Some users like my current setup, probably because they don't know what better alternatives are out there. I looked long and hard for a forum solution that matched my ideals. SMF was the best I could find. Until now. The only missing feature that I hope comes along shortly (in form of an extension), is an events calendar. Having an integrated month by month calendar linked to current discussions, with upcoming events listed in the side panel is a key bit of functionality for me and my users. I know there are already some developers working on a calendar... In any case, a big thanks goes out to the developers (Mark O' Sullivan) behind Lussumo! cheers, skube
  • Options
    Does anyone have a copy of the converter script from SMF to Vanilla or a suggestion on how to convert an SMF forum to Vanilla? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    I'm looking for the SMF to Vanilla converter too. Anyone care to share the working copy? Thank you in advance.
  • Options
    I would also like to use a working converter SMF -> Vanilla. Is this still active? Thanks!
  • Options
    smf is alright for me
    but i dunno
    i have seen vanilla for 10 days
    and i am in love with it now

it does not have that ewwy "normal" forum look

it is sooo different

i like different

invision power looks so bad compared to this

i dunno
    my oppinion

i especially love the digg theme
    soo coool

smf, phpBB, invision power
    they all have the same look
    i am tired of it
    so boring

i actually had an ipb board 2.2.2
    it was really cool and all
    but it gets boring
  • Options
    I had a phpbb which I thought was cool too, lots of bells and whistles which I took great pride in setting up, trouble-shooting and fixing. It worked beautifully.

There was only one problem, it scared my users away because it was too complicated in their minds.

That's when I discovered Vanilla, set up a test forum and they came back in droves!

The KISS principle always works best - Keep It Simple Stupid.
  • Options
    I agree with the above comments, it´s just that I have a fairly healthy, active SMF forum at the moment. If I could easily switch the data and users to Vanilla, it would be a done deal.
  • Options
    I ran both in tandem for a while (about 2 months I think) then chopped off the old one once people stopped using it.

However I had nothing of extreme "historical" value that begged to be kept, I even ran a user poll, 99% agreed to let go of the past and move on to the future!
  • Options
    yeah i agree with the KISS statement
    cool
    ^^