Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

The iPhone has landed....

Comments

• Options
    Probably not outside of the UK, giginger :(
  • Options
    On a side note, what's the deal with the 'Posted: ...' under every post?
  • Options
    http://lussumo.com/community/discussion/4869/?Focus=55044#Item_24
  • Options
     Quote: [-Stash-]  Dear GOD will you two stop it LOL
    Sorry dad, he started it... pic

Posted: Thursday, 18 January 2007 at 9:26PM (AEDT)

• Options
    Probably not outside of the UK, giginger :(

Tsk!

Sorry dad, he started it...

Technically you did. I just said I didn't agree with Apple and you felt the need to say I was wrong. I defended my statements.
  • Options
    Hmmm, my -- intentions -- were honorable!

hahah as you can see, I havent edited that post! I recommend you go back, and hight that post to see my hidden message!
  • Options
    dan39dan39 New
    edited January 2007
    Looks like Microsoft is working on it's own Minority Report stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtmwQnUlEmc
  • Options
     Quote: Richard Cranium  Hmmm, my -- intentions -- were honorable!
    hahah as you can see, I havent edited that post! I recommend you go back, and hight that post to see my hidden message!
    Yeah I got it mate, but you still got the spelling of intensions wrong!
    (Not to mention havent and hight.)

Posted: Friday, 19 January 2007 at 7:27AM (AEDT)

• Options
    you starting to annoy me. your not perfect. Didn't your daddy ever make your scrub the floor with a toothbrush the first time you corrected HIS English? If he didn't I am sure he prolly wanted to and should have.
  • Options
    Well it appears that 3G wasn't left out for cost reasons then.....

50%?!
  • Options
    Good business imo. Why bother with competitive rates when morons like Wanderer will lap up whatever you put out anyway?
  • Options
    hahah nice! maybe Apple should by the rights to pet rocks and stick an "i" to the side of it and sell them for 100 dollars.
  • Options
     Quote: Richard Cranium, again  you starting to annoy me. your not perfect.

your... should be ...you are... or you're...! pic

Posted: Friday, 19 January 2007 at 2:59PM (AEDT)

• Options
     Quote: blizeH  Why bother with competitive rates when morons like Wanderer will lap up whatever you put out anyway?
    If that was right I'd be lapping up Windows Vespa, ain't no way, no how that's happening. pic

Posted: Friday, 19 January 2007 at 5:30PM (AEDT)

• Options
    You could call iPhone perfect (http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/215441,CST-FIN-Andy18.article) January 18, 2007 BY ANDY IHNATKO I have used the Apple iPhone. I had a private briefing the day after Steve Jobs' keynote and spent about 45 minutes noodling around with the device. You may touch the hem of my robe if you wish. In response to a Beatlemania-scale pile of e-mails, here's what I can tell you so far, based on my hands-on impressions, my talks with Apple and general first-hand sniffing around: 1. The touch-interface works flawlessly, in terms of both technical function and user interface design. Whatever you want to do -- select an album to play, make or take a call, compose and send an e-mail -- your first impulse is almost always the correct one. This is the simplest phone ever. And there are no lags, no pauses, no waiting for the slickly animated UI to catch up with you, even when you're scrolling through a stack of album art that's flopping past your finger in 3D: It's liquid. The bad news: It works only with direct, skin contact. You can't wear gloves, and I don't know if you can even put a screen protector on it. On the plus side, the screen is supposed to be more scratch-resistant than an iPod. "So long as you don't have a pocket full of broken glass, it'll be OK in there," I was told. 2. I think the iPhone's virtual keyboard is a huge improvement over the mechanical thumbpads found on the Treo and any other smart phones of its size. The buttons are significantly larger, you don't have to hit them dead-center, you lightly tap them instead of punching them down, and the software is smart enough to know that you meant to type "Tuesday" instead of "Tudsday." After 30 seconds, I was already typing faster with the iPhone than I ever have with any other phone. I suspect that true e-mail demons will need to adapt to the lack of tactile feedback, though. 3. It's the most beautiful freakin' display I've ever seen on a phone or PDA, both in range of color and level of detail. Even microscopic browser text is credibly readable. 4. The apps that were functional at the time of the demo give the satisfying, protein-rich experience of "real" software. The mail client and browser make you feel like you're using a powerful desktop app, not a cell phone that can kind of send e-mail and browse the Web (depending on how you define "e-mail" and "the Web"). 5. Apple will keep a very tight rein on software development. I asked point-blank if third parties would be able to write and distribute iPhone apps and was told, point-blank, no. However, it appears that there'll be some third-party opportunities. I'm going to take a guess that iPhone software will be distributed the same way as iPod games: no "unsigned" apps will install, but apps will start appearing on the iTunes Store after successfully passing through a mysterious process of Apple certification -- one that ensures that they meet a certain standard of quality and won't, you know, secretly send your credit-card info to Nigeria. The lockdown on software is an area of ongoing suspicious interest. I noticed that the iPhone's pre-release browser was missing some plug-ins. I asked if Real and Macromedia et al. would be writing media plug-ins for the iPhone's Web browser, and was told that no, the browser would ship with plug-ins, but Apple would be writing them all in-house. Odd, that. 6. The iPhone runs the same OS as the Macintosh. And not in the way that Windows Mobile is, I suppose, technically, if you want to split hairs about it, classified somewhere in the Microsoft Windows phylum. Nope, everything I've learned (both in official briefings and "you and I never spoke, all right?" sort of discussions) says that it truly does run Leopard, the upcoming 10.5 OS that will be released for the Macintosh late in the spring. Those spiffy UI animations, for instance, come courtesy of Leopard's Core Animation suite. So will it run Mac software? Nope. The iPhone runs OS X, but it's an iPhone, not a Macintosh. And it stands to reason that the OS on the iPhone doesn't include any bits that it doesn't need. And no, the iPhone's Widgets aren't the same as the Mac's Dashboard widgets. But they do use DashCode and other desktop widget tech, so who knows? I'm really hoping that widgets will be more open to third-party developers than apps. 7. The iPhone is still under development and isn't feature-complete. I opened the "Notes" application and found myself tapping impotently at a JPEG of what the app is supposed to look like. And the camera app only had one button. Any complaints about what the iPhone can't do are premature. Remember, it won't ship for six months. I really, really like what I've seen so far. But true judgment won't come until June. Andy Ihnatko writes on technical and computer issues for the Sun-Times.
  • Options
    gigingergiginger New
    edited January 2007
    It can be as perfect as they want but there's no way on earth I'll buy one knowing that there's a 50% profit margin. That's ridiculous. I'm still considering a MacBook Pro for my next computer but if I see the same sort of profit margin there then I'll be sticking with building my own computer and popping Windows on it.
  • Options
    The bad news: It works only with direct, skin contact. You can't wear gloves, and I don't know if you can even put a screen protector on it.

Eeeeeeeep. Not such good news. I guess you could always use a keyboard with it via Bluetooth though no?
  • Options
    Not if it requires a third party app :p
  • Options
    It should just be a case of pair and use I'd have thought...
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    3G GSM iPhone

Source :RoughlyDrafted