HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Have you Noticed the new Like Button on vanillaforums.org?

ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
edited October 2011 in Releases
You may have noticed that posts on this site have three new buttons: Like, Spam, and Abuse. These are all part of a plugin we are testing that we think will eventually be a core feature of Vanilla.

Originally we had voting set up on these forums. By and large the feature was ignored. We have our ideas why we think this is, but we really think that having some sort of community driven validation and moderation mechanism is important.

I'm hoping that the current system we have will be a much better solution, but I want to hear your thoughts and comments about it. I don't think it's done yet and I really want to have it be a well rounded feature set before releasing it.

So, I encourage you all to use the plugin on this site. Please don't randomly click the buttons, but if you like someone's post then click like. If you see spam, report it. If you see a post that is downright abusive then report the abuse.

Let us know what you think.

Comments

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Great feature, have used it and love anything with in-line actions. With so many people now using Facebook, this type of feature is expected these days and more importantly they understand it.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
    i also have a like version plugin of my own but would love to see it incorporated in the core. as for the "abuse" is it similar to "report abuse" user can report a comment to the admin for validation?
  • 422422 Developer MVP
    I have always preferred the term , flag , to abuse.. It does kind of ask for ppl to abuse the abuse function.
    Bit like , like and dislike.. I prefer unlike or not like.

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited October 2011
    as for the "abuse" is it similar to "report abuse" user can report a comment to the admin for validation?
    Yep, you're right.

Anonymoose and 422 are right too about abusing the abuse button. That's what moderators are for though and let's see if the button really gets abused.

In our most technical forum in the netherlands we have a "report" button with all kinds of options, but people overlook that.

Let's see what will really work.

• I think it is fine, but I think it should always be optional. but as a core addon, fine.

grep is your friend.

• It's good to see more features being added to Vanilla Core..
  • Unlike implies removing a like from something already liked. Compare with: undo.

Dislike implies being explicit in not appreciating a post.

• It's good to see more features being added to Vanilla Core..
    This is something that should be optional, not in the core.
  • @Todd
    Very interesting new feature.

I like this option, and would love for spam and abuse links to be part of core, but I think that the liking feature might be better off as an optional plugin.

Perhaps you could even offer in the config a way for people to choose what kind of liking option (facebook, google +1, or vanilla). That way it gives you a chance to open up your social liking to a wider audience than may be available in the vanilla community.

Food for thought. I won't be disappointed either way. Please do consider the ability to at least turn liking off while keeping spam and abuse links active. I would like those features, but I currently use google +1 buttons for my forum.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    I think the verbs should be allowed to be changed, from the dashboard

• What I don't like is that when you like a post it shows up as "flagged" in the notification: http://grab.by/b9Bu

Awesome feature though :)
  • I love it. I've been trying to find a way to add an internal like button (ie one that doesn't have to interface with Facebook, etc.) to my forum forever. Can't wait for the rollout!
  • The new buttons are awesome! I'm not sure if the abuse or spam buttons would get abused a lot, though, as with another forum software I've used, no one has ever really used the 'report' button.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• is this button will be in Vanilla 2.0.18 ?
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    No.
  • awesome...i love it
  • Yes, I noticed it. The Like button is a nice addition to the forums. Its a nice way to let the poster know someone also thinks like him.
  • can't wait to see this feature in next version!!
  • The danger is that the Spam or Abuse buttons will be used as a Dislike button for things that the user just doesn't like.
    You are right. It can be abuse by people. Can you make an option where if they click Abuse or Spam, it will ask for the reason why they think its spam or abuse?