HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla Tutorial/Documental Site

Comments

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

Jongos said:
    @hbf

can you please add this extension, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:MarkS/Extra_edit_buttons

inserting code/small/pre/ tags manually repetetively is quite irritating...

im looking at this but it doesn't really appear to be a plugin. I'm not sure what to install. I'm seeing that it requires user level js to be run, im not sure of the security implications there, but it sounds a little risky.

• this RULES, thank you so much

• Looking good.

This is just my opinion, but I would not spend too much time on general programming information which has been written about time an time again. Instead find great resources, and link to them. Keep to one or two paragraphs, if you can.

Time is a premium.

General rule of thumb with wikis, is consolidate until you have to split. There isn't really a need for several pages on general programming, just have one page, and use headings.

I would take a look how other forums do their documentation. Especially forums that are heavily OOP. If not forums something equivalent. I would automate as much as possible. If you can get some schematics from the team that could help you with how to structure the documentation.

Two things that are need off the bat, are general documentation (not articles), and some "How to"s.

I would prioritise on the starter to intermediate stuff, due to the way things are interlinked on wikis. The advanced stuff, will come with time.

grep is your friend.

• hbf said:

Jongos said:
    @hbf

can you please add this extension, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:MarkS/Extra_edit_buttons

inserting code/small/pre/ tags manually repetetively is quite irritating...

im looking at this but it doesn't really appear to be a plugin. I'm not sure what to install. I'm seeing that it requires user level js to be run, im not sure of the security implications there, but it sounds a little risky.

okay.

Actually I was looking for something like this, a bookmarklet : http://simile.mit.edu/wiki/Wiki_Table_Editor

where a user need to bookmark a javascript, and when he's on a wiki edit page, he just click the bookmark and the table edit buttons will appear.

tried to convert MarkS into bookmarklet, but too long....

It's okay... I'll look for other alternative.

• x00 said:
    Looking good.

This is just my opinion, but I would not spend too much time on general programming information which has been written about time an time again. Instead find great resources, and link to them. Keep to one or two paragraphs, if you can.

Time is a premium.

General rule of thumb with wikis, is consolidate until you have to split. There isn't really a need for several pages on general programming, just have one page, and use headings.

I would take a look how other forums do their documentation. Especially forums that are heavily OOP. If not forums something equivalent. I would automate as much as possible. If you can get some schematics from the team that could help you with how to structure the documentation.

Two things that are need off the bat, are general documentation (not articles), and some "How to"s.

I would prioritise on the starter to intermediate stuff, due to the way things are interlinked on wikis. The advanced stuff, will come with time.

digesting...

• x00x00 MVP
    edited February 2012

There are also a lot of question that have already been asked, but are not easily found, if you can find a good answer link to it, copy parts of it.

grep is your friend.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP
    edited February 2012

x00 said:
    There are also a lot of question that have already been asked, but are not easily found, if you can find a good answer link to it, copy parts of it.

this is something i've thought about a bit. i think copying the best parts is the key, otherwise you could link to something with pages and pages of non-sense, but some very insightful nugget buried somewhere...

it would be good to have help in flagging the insightful stuff so it can be edited and added more efficiently.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

usage has dropped off significantly in the last couple of days.. Would it be appropriate to get better visibility for this asset by creating a sticky or even a permanent link somewhere here?

I'd hate for this resource to languish because people just don't know of it, or this thread falls of the main page and the whole thing ends up "out of sight, out of mind"

I'm dedicating server resources for this, and asking nothing in return, which i'm perfectly happy with as long as it's being used.

• So that means the site usage is mostly from editing and adding contents.

I haven't been able to continue because of some commitments.

will be back..

and the wiki still is linked from only two websites.

@hbf, have you registered the wiki at google for indexing?

• x00x00 MVP
    edited February 2012

I think hbf is right, need to select posts that are clear, and answer questions definitively.

If you have a format for this perhaps a "Related discussions" section at the end of of the article/stub. As this is not an encyclopedia, but a help wiki, citations aren't the focus, but a list of related information would be a help.

grep is your friend.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

Jongos said:
    So that means the site usage is mostly from editing and adding contents.

I haven't been able to continue because of some commitments.

will be back..

and the wiki still is linked from only two websites.

@hbf, have you registered the wiki at google for indexing?

yes, it is being indexed and the site map is on a cron job for updates.

I don't think more than about 30% of the site activity was you editing... unless you were logging in from various countries. either way, log-ins from all across the globe stopped when this thread stopped getting new views.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

OK... So I let this sink again just to verify the correlation between having this thread (and the links to the site) in plain view and the number of visitors to the wiki. There weren't a lot , but there were at least a handfull (about a dozen) real visits (visits that included travelling beyond the main page) during the day and a half that this thread was on page one.

After it fell off, the traffic fell off as well. In the last 4 days, there has only been ONE actual visit to the site.

It's really disappointing as the amount of work and thought that went in to the content there was quite impressive to me.

I'm going to give this one more go.

I am leaving it up to the Vanilla Community, make your voice heard. If you would like to keep this around as a resource, petition (post in here) to have a permanent link posted on this site.

If I don't see a substantive community desire to keep this running, I'll likely mothball the site, and archive the content next month.

• mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭

I have found it very useful. It should be incorporated into the main site documentation or at least mentioned there. A great pitfall of Vanilla is documentation.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited February 2012

I think you are begin too hard on yourself, expecting too much too soon.

It can take months for content to disseminate, but genuine content is the way to go.

grep is your friend.

• jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭

This definitely needs more exposure, I think it deserves to be recognized! If I had a resource like this when I first started working with Vanilla it would've made my job about a million times easier.

This thread should be announced and the Vanilla devs should seriously consider adding links throughout the vanillaforums.org site.

x00 said:

It can take months for content to disseminate, but genuine content is the way to go.

And this.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited February 2012

Thanks for the link and the documentation. Keep up the great work!
    I look forward to more tutorials and examples as more people contribute to it.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

x00 said:

im not taking it personally, i just wanted to see what the real interest is in this project. we seem to be getting about 3 hits per day. i didn't look to see if they are multi-page or just dead ends because someone has a browser window pointed to the site.

Either way, as long as it's being used I'll keep it running.

I'm not sure what kind of response the vanillaforums.org staff will have to the request, but I'll suggest a sticky or something to keep this visible.

Anyone with some pull (x00, 422, etc.) if you could weigh in and ask for a sticky or a permalink that would be appreciated as well.

• Hi, Just so you know, I have not abandoned the idea, just have no internet at the moment, will hopefully get sorted soon..

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

dodgerid said:
    Hi, Just so you know, I have not abandoned the idea, just have no internet at the moment, will hopefully get sorted soon..

that is rough. i can't really fathom being without an internet connection.

• Hang on, just little over a month and you guys have set up a wiki and added so much information already? Impressive!

Like OP mentions such wikis are essential to communities built around web software packages and they're always my first port of call for information to learn how to work with them.

I'm new to Vanilla so literally just learning as I go from the ground up and though i've got little experience of the community it would be an ideal thing for Vanilla.org to adopt as a permanent feature of their website - perhaps linked from their documentation?

If it covers the basics and more people can find it easily and more can contribute it will continue to flourish in the manner it has. Once i've got to grips with Vanilla i'd love to be able to add some things myself. I'll learn to walk before I can run though :)

Great work guys!