Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Who's online , any version update for vanilla 2.1 ?

hi anyone got this plugin work on v 2.1 ?

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited November 2012

So, I think Gary might've abandoned this. We forked it internally a while back, and eventually wrote a new plugin to work more efficiently on our infrastructure. The last version of WhosOnline we had internally before we dropped it does indeed work on 2.1 so I'll at least get that released soon if I can't open source the new one we did.

• hi @Lincoln where can i find the working version of this for vanilla 2.1 ?

• lifeisfoolifeisfoo Zombie plugins finder ✭✭✭

I just pushed original gary code to https://github.com/lifeisfoo/WhosOnline

Anyone can easily contribute now to update to 2.1.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• @lifeisfoo

Your github link is not working.

@Lincoln

It's such a basic functionality, can't you release one that's working on 2.1? It wouldn't make much sense if someone from the community would have to reinvent the wheel (I'd like to use that functionality, but I am still a Vanilla n00b not capable of writing my own plugins).

@MasterOne The link seems to be alive... To download it you need only to click on the "zip" icon.

• MasterOneMasterOne ✭✭
    edited May 2013

@lifeisfoo said:
    The link seems to be alive... To download it you need only to click on the "zip" icon.

That's strange, it's working now. Is this now already working on 2.1 or is this still the original abandoned version (as github it reporting "a month ago")?

It's the original version (see commit log). If you want you can fork it, fix it and make a pull request on github.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@MasterOne Submitted a pull request on github. Here is my patch that works on 2.1b1.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @hgtonight

Once again, you are amazing! Seems to work as intended, but I have two questions about the plugin's settings:

• What's the option "Discussion: This show the plugin on only selected discussion pages" supposed to do? I can't see any possibility to select anything for that option.

• There seems to be no default refresh rate. What's a reasonable refresh rate to start with on a not really busy new forum? What's a good value for a busy forum?

The discussion option (which is pretty pointless in my opinion), will show the module only on the discussions, discussion, and categories controller. This probably doesn't mean much to you yet. It means the panel will not show on profiles or activity pages. The every option (which is misleadingly titled) will show on all the "discussion" controllers and on the profile and activity controllers.

The default is 4 seconds which I think is way too short. I would suggest 90 or 120 seconds. You have to balance with how many people you typically have viewing and how many times the polling will happen.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• jeongweejeongwee Vanilla version 2.6 ✭✭
    edited July 2013

@hgtonight
    your patch doesnt shows the avatar ,wat i shud do to make the avatar shows.
    theres too many replies.my english is bad for read and make it clearly in my mind , im confused now. can u help me.
    @vrijvlinder need help :(

My patch never added the avatars.

@jeongwee said:
    hgtonight
    theres too many replies

At least there are replies. I don't feel like sifting through them either.

Search first

• @jeongwee said:
    hgtonight
    your patch doesnt shows the avatar ,wat i shud do to make the avatar shows.
    theres too many replies.my english is bad for read and make it clearly in my mind , im confused now. can u help me.
    vrijvlinder need help :(

compare the changes I made to add avatars, I believe two other people also made suggestions or added code on the forum that displays avatars in earlier versions of whosonline. So if "You" look at the code that is used to display avatars in the code for vanilla 2.0.18.8 and merge the changes with the modified whosonline to run in vanilla 2.1. and then after you spent a week or two analyzing it andsolving it, post your code here.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

@peregrine

everytime when im reading some stranger words keep show up and break up the continuity of reading.im trying to solve the problem , also trying to improve my eng.thx for the suggestion and help. theres the code file i found from http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/22193/modifications-for-adding-pictures-to-your-whosonline#latest and it did help, my whosonline is working with the avatar now.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited July 2013

That is great @jeongwee !! you are a great example of someone that is intelligent . I am sorry I could not be of help on this one, I don't use the plugin and peregrine is the expert of all things plugin.

I am very happy you figured out how to get it to work :)

edited July 2013

@peregrine
    any way to change the avatars from the left side to the place under the Gategories & Discussions & Comments.
    I might need to use the pocket plugin to put something there(for example some ad in the future), so i hv no place also to put the avatars here.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

@vrijvlinder is the css expert :). I try not get involved with css,

@jeongwee
    If what you say above works for you. you've just added something to the community

and significantly less then a week too figure out :).

excellent!

you have been awarded the jeongwee badge for excellence and speed in modifying a plugin to suit your needs and benefit others!

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

edited July 2013

@vrijvlinder
    how does the mark read working which one on the option from the Categories.im confused..wat is this use for.....
    and why does theres a inv Category option,if someone missclicked on it,thats sad....

Ok , no problem all I need is a link to see or an image showing where you want it
    Or I need to install this version on my 2.1 to be able to experiment better.

css is the most wonderful thing , it beats inline styling by a long million miles :)

The pockets make room for anything there. Whose online if I am not mistaken , is a module , so it may well be possible to just change the module sort order in the config.php no? @peregrine ?

If what you want is to move it in the panel . I am not sure where it shows up in 2.1 I assume the panel but maybe wrong .

The module of whose online might have a function to render it in the panel , so it is possible you may be able to change that to render it above the content

edited July 2013

@jeongwee said:
    vrijvlinder
    how does the mark read working which one on the option from the Categories.im confused..wat is this use for.....
    and why does theres a inv Category option,if someone missclicked on it,thats sad....

I am not sure I understand , but the options do not show up for users except the edit if they are allowed to edit.

Mark read is one option , that way you can keep track of what was read and what is new

unfollow means they don't want to follow and get notified when someone posts in that category