Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Articles / Blog App: Make It Happen!

Comments

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited August 2013

@vrijvlinder said:
    I don't think the goal here is to replace WP is it? I mean that is not necessary since Vanilla has most of the same capabilities for expansion and variety of contents and layouts.

There is no need for another blogging stand alone , I think adding an articles section to the forum would greatly enhance the forum experience. I never liked the word blog to describe content. It means web log , An article is not a log it is a piece of work, can be artistic literary technical , newsworthy etc. Like in a magazine or a newspaper .

By joining the Articles with Forum in one , It not only simplifies content management but also keeps it in the same house and less need to cross connect two separate platforms as has been done so far.

Integrating an articles area for the forum is a brilliant idea.

I agree. Articles are more centralized than discussions. This application will be a great addition to a lot of Vanilla forums for many kinds of articles ranging from news, blog posts, all the way to tutorials and so much more.

Integrating WordPress with a Vanilla forum is troublesome for many people, so let's provide our community with a simpler way to get started with writing articles.

If anyone has any questions about this application, feel free to ask.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• @Shadowdare - I am sure people you will get more pledges when people realize how great your accomplishment is. You should provide some static screenshots of features.

Sometimes, people don't realize how lucky they are, to get a cool app just by a pledge to make the effort by the developer possible. Certainly a $10 pledge by those who are intrigued and have a forum that can be enhanced by such a feature can pony up some bucks and help improve and diversify the array of plugins. And seeing the code you write, I know it is going to be well-written and well-designed. Good luck on this venture my friend, I know people will love it, if the pledges meet your expectations for a release.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

edited September 2013

@peregrine, thank you for your kind words. This application will help communities bring in traffic by providing a way to publish substantial content. An application this big that is made for the community will take a lot of hard work to complete.

Pledges of any amount are appreciated and even a $10 pledge will certainly add up and help support the development of this application.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Loving that pectin !! that definitely looks good, I would kill the left column to allow the article more room . You could keep the left column but move it under content.

make content 100% wide, panel 100% wide display:inline ... just my opinion and how I would display it on my sites.

edited September 2013

More about article comments:

• Closing articles will disable further commenting.
    • Comments can have replies that can only go down one level/thread.
    • Further replying can be globally disabled.
    • Deleting a comment which has replies will show [Deleted] and can be translated.
    • Deleting the last reply of a deleted comment will delete the parent comment.
    • Whether you want to show [Deleted] or permanently remove the parent comment and its replies on deletion is configurable.

Screenshot of replies to comments:

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

Neat!

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • I would sick to one or two levels of threading.

I think fully threaded is a mistake, it an archaic style that is not that readable, or good for performance.

grep is your friend.

• SrggamerSrggamer HardCore Gamer ✭✭✭

AMAZING!

• BRILLIANT!

as long as we are adding adjectival (is this a word) reviews.

looking better and better!

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• jeongweejeongwee Vanilla version 2.6 ✭✭

I think if someone is new(like me) ,and he(or she) started with vanilla which integrate with a blog.More simple and more easier to use,why are they need the WordPress?People who had WP(blog)+Vanilla(forum) they don have to change WP to Vanilla blog,but People Who had only Vanilla(forum),they will have more choise to build their blog.

Im in for $10, cant wait for this app.Also thx for shadow always helped me out of issues.

edited September 2013

Thank you, @jeongwee. Those are good points. Instead of just WordPress or another article publishing solution, it would be nice to have an option for one that's integrated into Vanilla and not have to worry about embedding and separate themes and members when it comes to adding articles to a Vanilla forum.

We're at $210 for pledges.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

bump

People we need more support on this project. Please don't be shy giving a little of what you usually spend easily when going out on weekends. :)

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
    edited September 2013

The screenshots in this discussion are the real thing and not mockups.

A lot of progress has been made on this application so far, but it won't be released for the community without enough pledges.

If anyone has questions about this application, we'll be glad to answer them.

edited September 2013

This must be a amazing app,help ppl and youself to get this amazing app,even 10dollar helps.
    Im in more $30 for this.

• Thanks very much to everybody that is supporting this application.

edited September 2013

@Shadowdare is it only allowed for admin to post articles? that will be cool if we can set the permission for other roles to post articles from dashboard.

• You will be able to set permissions for all roles for the articles application.

@Shadowdare can we set it as the homepage which people should see first when they visit our site.