HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.1b2 released

LincLinc Detroit Admin
edited September 2013 in Releases

I'm pleased to announce the release of Vanilla 2.1 beta 2. Since this is not the final release you will have to download it from it's direct link here.

Technical skills required!

This beta release is here so that the community can help us get Vanilla ready to release 2.1. Please keep this in mind when downloading it. Please do not download this release if you do not have some experience using Vanilla. You may have the best intentions, but you will be hindering, not helping the testing process.

Report issues on GitHub

We really want you to report issues on our GitHub issues page. If you don't have a GitHub account please get one. Specify your version (2.1b2) in all issues.

Configuration notes

Turning debug on will really help with testing. To do this add the following to your config.php file:

$Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE;

Vanilla 2.1 has new feature that will combine your css files into one file and minify them. This is potentially a great feature that will give a real speed boost to a lot of communities. This feature is somewhat experimental though so we've made it an opt-in feature. To turn on this feature add the following to your config.php file:

$Configuration['Garden']['CombineAssets'] = TRUE;

This release cycle is really long

We know. Please assist us by 1) testing the heck out of this release under many different environments and scenarios and 2) submitting pull requests (against the 2.1 branch) for issues tagged for the milestone '2.1'. We have no ETA for final release or moving to RC. I would expect to have a beta 3.

Thanks!

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited September 2013

@Lincoln said:

• 2013-08-24 Remove 200 header when testing an add-on. Fixes issue #1561.
    • 2013-08-24 Kill 'Remove' plugin button and all related functionality

So stoked for these fixes!

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Dr_SommerDr_Sommer Dr. of tender Programing ;) ✭✭

For first time Users, the Versioning is a bit confusing. So please correct me if I'm Wrong:
    The 2.1.x branch is the Community Edition ant the 2.2.x branch in Github is the Commercial edition?
    Is that correct?

If YES, this AND the differences between them should be pointed out (in the FIRST Post!) because i think every potential new Vanilla User will have this Problem... like me.. ;)

Thanks in advance.. ;)

Cheers,

Dr. Sommer

• 1+ well done guys

grep is your friend.

• @Dr_Sommer said:
    For first time Users, the Versioning is a bit confusing. So please correct me if I'm Wrong:
    The 2.1.x branch is the Community Edition ant the 2.2.x branch in Github is the Commercial edition?
    Is that correct?

Not understand like you but may be, you 're right but ;) even if my f**king English understanding is very bad, it's not so easy

http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Github_Access

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited September 2013

@Dr_Sommer said:
    Is that correct?

No, the 2.2 branch is simply not tested for stability on multiple platforms yet. As far as you guys are concerned, it is "alpha" quality. Calling it "commercial" is misleading because everything in 2.2 will be in the next release cycle after 2.1. Our release cycles are just lagging a bit.

• Dr_SommerDr_Sommer Dr. of tender Programing ;) ✭✭
    edited September 2013

Ah, ok.... Thanks for clarification... ;)
    I red many postings about the Verions and got all confused... ;)

So to round it up:

• 2.0.x Version is THE STABLE Version of Vanilla

• 2.1.x is the BETA Version (Next updated stable Version)

• 2.2.x Is an early ALPHA version

USE the 2.0. Version in productive systems

USE the 2.1. BETA for testing ONLY and post errors in Github

Don't have an "USE" for 2.2.... :D:D:D

Thanks.. ;)

• Hi, I installed this but when I want to visit the site, I get this error:

_Something has gone wrong.

We've run into a problem and are unable to handle this request right now.
    Please check back in a little while._

Using Linux PC with WAMP.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@DogHam:

Technical skills required!

This beta release is here so that the community can help us get Vanilla ready to release 2.1. Please keep this in mind when downloading it. Please do not download this release if you do not have some experience using Vanilla. You may have the best intentions, but you will be hindering, not helping the testing process.

Report issues on GitHub

We really want you to report issues on our GitHub issues page. If you don't have a GitHub account please get one. Specify your version (2.1b2) in all issues.

Turning debug on will really help with testing. To do this add the following to your config.php file:

$Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE;

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited October 2013

Good job, Vanilla team. I recommend everyone using 2.1b1 to update to 2.1b2 if possible. Remember to avoid modifying the core files as much as possible and use plugins and themes instead, so that updates to Vanilla will be simple.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• @vrijvlinder @Lincoln What does $Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE; do?

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited October 2013

@ilovetech said:
    What does $Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE; do?

The boolean value of the $Configuration['Debug'] config setting determines the error reporting level Vanilla will set for PHP during initialization.

When this config setting is set to TRUE, more PHP errors will be shown for development and testing purposes and the PHP setting display_errors is enabled.

When set to FALSE, only PHP errors appropriate for production websites will be shown and the display of errors depends on the web server's php.ini config setting.

When the config setting isn't set or assigned to NULL by the admin, the error reporting settings in the web server's php.ini config file will be used.

• @Shadowdare said:
    The boolean value of the $Configuration['Debug'] config setting determines the error reporting level > Vanilla will set for PHP during initialization.

When this config setting is set to TRUE, more PHP errors will be shown for development and testing > purposes and the PHP setting display_errors is enabled.

When set to FALSE, only PHP errors appropriate for production websites will be shown and the > > > > display of errors depends on the web server's php.ini config setting.

When the config setting isn't set or assigned to NULL by the admin, the error reporting settings in the > web server's php.ini config file will be used.

Woah! Then that thing has more work to do then me in a 1 hour chicken buffet!

• @Lincoln @Mark I'm loving the work you guys did on Vanilla 2.1b2! It's really efficient and really pretty! If I find anyone interested in hosting a forum or using a forum hosting service OR using another forum hosting software, I will definitely point them to vanillaforums.org or vanillaforums.com for dedicated paid hosting!

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@ilovetech Thanks. Mark hasn't been working on the project for quite a while. Todd is the product lead so you'll find many of the improvements trace back to him, and Tim contributes regularly too.

• Well then

@Lincoln @Mark @Tim @Todd @VanillaStaff I'm loving the work you guys did on Vanilla 2.1b2! It's really efficient and really pretty! If I find anyone interested in hosting a forum or using a forum hosting service OR using another forum hosting software, I will definitely point them to vanillaforums.org or vanillaforums.com for dedicated paid hosting!

• jens1seojens1seo
    edited October 2013

I installed v2.1b and im not a programer by any means. Am I heading down a blind alley? should I uninstall 2.1b? Tama is strongly recommending 2.1b for a theme he's working on. If I leave it I'd be happy to add the code to help with the beta

• mark.

• @jens1seo, I am sure you have got Vanilla 2.1b2 working just fine. Please don't fret about not being a programmer as it is good to receive feedback about Vanilla from non-programmers as well. :)

• jackjitsujackjitsu ✭✭
    edited November 2013

Are there upgrade instructions somewhere?

Or do you treat this like a full fresh install again and use the import tool?