Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

File Upload always shows Uploading.... and never finished

Vanilla 2.1b2 and FileUpload 1.5.2
File Upload always shows Uploading.... and never finished. Please help me troubleshoot and fix somehow.
Thank you advance.

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

Have you checked to make sure the files are actually uploaded to the uploads folder?

Are you able to upload a banner image for your site?

Have you tried multiple images?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• inteninten New
    edited November 2013

Hi.
    Banner uploads. Multiple files upload attached.
    Yes, all files are uploaded to the server and reside in the upload/fileuploader folder.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

you could be timing out. that has happened to me with a slow connection.

edited: actually probably not - since you say files were uploaded. but check your thumbnails are they being created - could be a problem there.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I can't find any thumbnails in that upload folders.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

do you have

uploads/thumbnails/FileUpload

and is it set to proper permissions for writing files

this could be a red herring since its a swag (scientific wild-ass guess) but worth a look.

and can you uploads avatar pics to your profile.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

have you looked at with your web-developer tools to see what is happening maybe.

responses and requests, etc. in network tab

• I had no uploads/thumbnails/FileUpload, but have just created. Nothing. For testing purpose I have set 777. Nothing again.

• inteninten New
    edited November 2013

and yes, there are user pics and thumbnails in the upload folder. and my profile has avatar.

• IE gives me this save as dialog. Chrome still shows never-ending upload. Any ideas?

• {"MediaResponse":{"Status":"success","MediaID":"32","Filename":"project.jpg","Filesize":244177,"FormatFilesize":"238.5K","ProgressKey":"1384571968812_UploadAttachment_1","PreviewImageLocation":"\/forum\/utility\/thumbnail\/FileUpload\/73\/be926b29d5980970f042123ed63c8b.jpg","FinalImageLocation":"http:\/\/my1domain.com\/forum\/uploads\/FileUpload\/73\/be926b29d5980970f042123ed63c8b.jpg"},"FormSaved":true,"DeliveryType":"VIEW","Data":"","InformMessages":[],"ErrorMessages":"","RedirectUrl":""}

• but where is it? /forum\/utility\/thumbnail\/FileUpload\/73\/be926b29d5980970f042123ed63c8b.jpg

• OK, I got it. the URL /forum/utility/thumbnail/FileUpload/73/be926b29d5980970f042123ed63c8b.jpg gives me pic's thumbnail. Looks like (it's a swag :)) the problem is to save the file to local folder.

• Incredible! How come file upload function can causes so many troubles out-of-box? This is just a file upload!!! Just take a look at the quantity of discussions. Unbelievable! Just the file upload.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

@inten said:
    Incredible! How come file upload function can causes so many troubles out-of-box? This is just a file upload!!! Just take a look at the quantity of discussions. Unbelievable! Just the file upload.

granted many people have problems with fileupload for a variety of reasons.

• one reason is you are using it with beta software and it was written for a previous release.

• many people don't know how to set up the permissions on their folder properly and set up proper folders

want to make it better....

• you should write a better one and post your changes on github, as well as wiki

@inten said: Thank you advance.

You're welcome in the present. At least you got it solved, perhaps with a little insights from the community.

so in essence you were lacking a thumbnail folder that was required.
    I believe in 2.0.18.8 the thumbnail folder is uploads/thumbnails/FileUpload

and from what you say the thumbnail folder in 2.1b2 is utility/thumbnail/FileUpload/

and both folders need write and execute permissions for the owner of the process

I guess it pays to look in the request and response headers in web developer tools.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

P.S. to your credit you posted your solution. that was nice follow through. thanks.

• No, that wasn't my solution, the problem still exists.

• The problem is why IE throws out a save as dialog for .json file.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

when using 2.1b2 and the plugin was creating by the vanilla staff - you need to check github for any updates - which i am sure their is - whether it works for you is another question, but there is a more recent version.

confusing, absolutely!

as you may note they are using version 1.8 of the plugin on this forum

report back if that solves your problem

and I suspect the creation of a utility folder was not the correct thing, if you did create it.

/utility is kind of a phantom area.

• Hi There,

I've tried to work this through and I'm struggling. I have vanilla 2.0.18.8. I have downloaded from the forum FileUpload 1.5.2 which was last updated in October 2011.

I've created the folder uploads/thumbnails/FileUpload and it has full wrx for all (777 permissions)

I get the issue as described above with a persistent uploading... message and nothing else.

I note from above there is a version 1.8 but only from github. I cannot work out how to download a zip file or tarball from there.

I haven't used git much before but I am familiar with throwing *nix commands around. Is there an obvious way to download it using something akin to wget?

Cheers

Dave