Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to add filters when post new discussion

Hi,

I've searched over 19 pages of Plugins for Vanilla 2, but I still can't find any answer for this mod, that's why I'm posting this and hope someone can help me.

• I want to add 2 options when post a new discussion. Each option will be a dropdown with values (pic 1).

• Then when view list of discussions in Category or All Discussions, there will be 2 options with values to filter all discussions (with matched option value when posted) (pic 2).

I found this DiscussionPrefix 1.1 is very similar to this, can someone please help me out?

Thank you very much!

Answers

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited December 2013

Welcome to the community!

You will need to create a plugin for this. You there are two parts to doing what you want.

1. Save the extra metadata on discussion creation/edit
    2. Modify the view to filter the discussions based on the selected meta data

I would concentrate on the first point. Check out the community wiki about extending existing forms here: http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Practical_Example:_How_to_Extend_Existing_Forms

Once you get the discussion model saving your data, post back here and we can go from there.

P.S. I like to share my Testing Ground plugin. It doesn't do a whole lot out of the box, but pretty much every line is commented to describe what it is doing. I think it is a good place to start messing with ideas.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• killuahxhkilluahxh New
    edited December 2013

Hi hgtonight,

Thank you very much for your fast reply! I'm really appreciated this!

But I'm sorry that I'm not a PHP coder, I only know a bit about HTML and CSS. I only can understand a bit of the wiki which you sent. Can you please help me step by step create this plugin?

P.S. I'm reading the wiki again & again, hope I can understand more, but not all because I don't know anything about PHP :(

Thanks

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Asking someone to guide you step by step to build your own plugin is worse than asking for someone to make it for you for free. If you know nothing about PHP, you should learn something about it or hire a developer. :)

• @Lincoln: Ok thanks for your super answer! Really super help!

I don't know, that's why I'm asking, not I'm discussing.

Thanks anyway!

• Can some mod delete this post please? I don't want other talk that I'm a lazy man.

This discussion has been closed.