Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Articles / Blog App: Make It Happen!

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@angophora said:
    Hi, I'd forgotten about this. Is it still real?

As far as I know it is still happening. Just need to bridge that last gap. :)

Care to confirm @Shadowdare‌ ?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

I am new to the Vanilla forum and at a loss at pledging or contributing. Would have been nice if there was a "Pledging Guidelines" post (if there is one, I missed it).

I hope the blogging platform will support the permissions model of a closed forum as well as the separation of roles by categories- we're planning to run several closed forums under one implementation, separating the users by categories and roles that give them access to one category which we treat as "forum". Thus, if the blogging facility will be visible to all the users regardless of their roles, then it would be useless for us...

If our model is supported, I would like to pledge $30 for this.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2014

General Pledging Guidelines - simply put, you want to help a developer get his work out in the add-ons section of vanilla and will accept what he or she has proposed and when it is released you will honor your commitment generally via paypal with no other strings attached. The developer will attempt to fix any bugs, but doesn't need to keep adding features due to feature creep. Once it is released, you could donate additional monies for additional features beyond the scope of the original guidelines.

I believe shadowdare has laid out his proposal of the features already.

I think with your pledge rbramson and hgtonight's match that would be $40 additional monies to reach the pledge amount of $500 to get this wrapped up. (or $70 additional monies if this doesn't wrap up before hg's offer runs out.).

2 more $10 donations within 24 hours of hg's post would do it (since he was willing to genrously match it.).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

@shadowdare: Looks like a lot of people ask about the progress. Seems like an ideal use of the Progress Bars plugin...

First, I want to clarify that my pledge stands unconditionally.

Second, I want to clarify that our planned use of Vanilla is leveraging the standard built in permissions - we will have several roles, and several categories, and allow viewing of categories by the roles. This way user A in role A authorized to see category A will not have access to category B. What I am trying to say is that if your planned project followed the very same roles/permissions as used in the forum, then (1) you will make me happy;-), and (2) you will have consistency between what you plan and the rest of Vanilla. Yes, by now I figured out that there is this underlying Garden architecture and that what I perceive as standard forum is a specific implementation of the Garden architecture and thus you could have a different implementation in your project. But my point is that it would be better if all implementations would be consistent (and I ranted about consistency elsewhere so that's all I'm going to say about it here).

Last but not least, how far are you from the goal and have you not reached the point where the last 10% is 9000%;-) of the effort. Perhaps it would be more optimal to take the hazard risk (of undermining future project pledges) and publish it while asking the users (scout's honor) to donate the rest upon installation?

Thanks @rbrahmson‌ for taking part in my mini pledge drive. I increase my total pledge to $25 + $30 = $55. If my maths is correct, that puts us at $460.

@Shadowdare‌ thanks for the clarification

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2014

Pledges so far: $40 more to go... to make the necessary $500

hgtonight    55
       phreak       40
       r_j          50
       vrijvlinder  100
       jeongwee     40
       Bleistivt    15
       Marek        10
       ohgot        50
       angophora    50
       aky004       20
       rbrahmson    30

==================
        total         $460

if everyone reconfirms it would make it easier for shadowdare.

@hgtonight @phreak @r_j @vrijvlinder @jeongwee @Bleistivt
    @Marek @ohgot @angophora @aky004 @rbrahmson

anyone who like basicpages app or use it, might want to consider throwing money this way to make it happen.
    just $40 to go.

• 4 - $10 donations or
    • 2 - $20 donations or
    • 1 $40 donation.

would be a bingo!

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Strange... you've broken the mention function! I've received no notification for you mentioning me...

I've already paid in order not to forget it when it will be due - so: yes, confirmed!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2014

does it work now! I edited and added the mentions

@hgtonight @phreak @r_j @vrijvlinder @jeongwee @Bleistivt @Marek @ohgot @‌

I left rbrahmson out of the mentions here because they already re-confirmed on the forum.

but I leave you in R_J for the added benefit of a mention notification (to see if it works).

edit - forgot to leave vrijvlinder and hgtonight out of the mention - since they already re-confimed. sorry.

@peregrine said:
    Pledges so far: $40 more to go... to make the necessary $500

hgtonight  55
       phreak     40
       r_j            50
       vrijvlinder    100
       jeongwee       40
       Bleistivt  15
       Marek      10
       ohgot      50
       angophora  50
       aky004     20
       rbrahmson  30

==================
        total         $460

if everyone reconfirms it would make it easier for shadowdare.

hgtonight phreak r_j vrijvlinder jeongwee Bleistivt
    Marek ohgot angophora aky004 rbrahmson

anyone who like basicpages app or use it, might want to consider throwing money this way to make it happen.
    just $40 to go.

• 4 - $10 donations or
    • 2 - $20 donations or
    • 1 $40 donation.

would be a bingo!

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I already sent him my donation :) months ago... but I will put more down if that is what it will take..

We can prepay pledges?

Where can I send mine?

Search first

Probably not necessary but reconfirming what I pledged today;-)

• Yes ! Reconfirm.

Please ! Last $40.

Make It Happen !

• BleistivtBleistivt Moderator
    edited March 2014

I'm raising my pledge to 25$

Repeating hgtonights question, is there some way we can prepay pledges? (preferably paypal)

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Maybe I shouldn't have told you...

@hgtonight: Nope, prepaying pledges doesn't work. How should it? We're not at Kickstartet here ;) A prepayed pledge might have to be paid back and what would be the benefit for the person who receives the money if he has to pay it back a couple of month later? That would be way too bureaucratic.

So I've transfered him the money (although he didn't want me to!), told him I do not expect anything in return of it, so if this application will never be realized, he shall keep the money as a donation. That's it.
    (I did this because I'm a forgetful guy and unstable concerning my interests. I didn't want to risk that I turn my back on Vanilla with an open promise or something like that)

@peregrine: yepp, second mention noticed me.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited March 2014

@Bleistivt‌, thank you for raising your pledge!

@peregrine, thank you for the help! I might set up a spreadsheet document to help us keep track of the pledges. We are at $470 now, IIRC, and almost to the goal!

I appreciate and understand the convenience of prepaying pledges, but I can't accept prepaid pledges before the goal is reached since we aren't sure when the goal will be passed. Some people who said they prepaid their pledge didn't just do so for their pledge entirely, but also for the addons and contributions I've made for the community.

The main goal of the app is to provide a way to publish blog posts/articles. For multi-author cases, there will be a way to have editor workflows where articles can be changed between draft, pending review, and published states if needed. This is a very big project and will take a lot of work for the features many of us consider essential.

Please avoid feature creep, so that we can focus on the essential features of the application first. Everyone has different needs for their websites, so the app may not be suitable for everyone, but the app will be extendable through plugins if special features are needed thanks to the magic of Vanilla and its underlying framework, Garden.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

I'm in as promised!

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited March 2014

Thanks very much to everyone who has supported this proposal!

If you have made a pledge, please check your inbox for a private message.

I will post an update here when everything is finalized. Stay tuned!

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

Thanx Shadow, it's well organized. Payment done.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla