HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

The Community and Vanilla - Please Read

124»

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

While it is admirable to only want to run 'approved code', it is nearly meaningless in this repo.

Yes "Approved" only means it is kosher to use because it was tested by a higher authority ...

it would be great if folks could really test out Vanilla before they put it down ...

I know it does not look like much out of the box ,but the same can be said of an iPhone. Comes with 4 apps you add the rest as you need them.

• Thanks for the welcome @hgtonight

• AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited July 2014

@vrijvlinder said:
    I know it does not look like much out of the box ,but the same can be said of an iPhone. Comes with 4 apps you add the rest as you need them.

With an iPhone you can pay for those that you need that are more advanced. Apple has built an entire business model out of taking a cut of the profits from app developers and encouraging them to build quality apps that work. They also test apps and then stamp a seal of approval.

Where can we buy plugins for Vanilla?

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited July 2014

@Anonymoose said: "Where can we buy plugins for Vanilla?"

My business model is the non-profit scheme but I will sell you mine as an exception ;)

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@Anonymoose said:
    Where can we buy plugins for Vanilla?

In very few places, at the moment. I put some on sale, but the market is too small and it's not viable to develop and maintain many of them. That's why I moved most of those plugins to the Addon section, where they can be downloaded for free.

Of course, there are are many contributors who produce plenty of valuable plugins, but I doubt one could run a business selling them. Not at the moment, at least.

• karenrkarenr Vanilla 2.1 stable New

I would just like to say that trolls are everywhere, Todd and other admins/contributors, but I shall do my utmost to never become one.

I appreciate any OSS that I can access for free, and after wrestling for the last 14 years with a progression of forums that included EZBoard, CoolBoard, vBulletin, Phpbb2 and phpbb3, as well as some other horrors that I have blanked out of my memory, I am thrilled to have found vanilla. The new 2.1 platform integrates with wordpress perfectly, and I thank everyone involved.

I shall try to be an asset around here if possible, but I am just an old Granny who never took a lesson on 'puters or programming in her life and has had to learn everything the hard way (aka bitter trial and error), from dos on my first 386 to html to css to php - so I am not sure how much help I _can _ actually be to others. I don't understand half of what I know/do, but people like YOU all have enabled me to look as though I do, and I thank you for that.

Over and out.

• Just a short note that I recently set up a Vanilla install and am very happy with it. It works, it's clean, it's easy to install, configure and customize.

The things you mentioned, uncertainty about the open source character/"who is behind this..." is something which was in the back of my mind when I was looking around for forum software and saw Vanilla. "There was something wrong with this platform... what was it again?" And I didn't even know anymore where I got this negativity from. Noise. Invalid. Such a shame that it pops up all the time in the open source community. Holds back progress.

Anyway: I think the business model you guys have is very valid, and besides, it's only up to you to decide. It's your software, your creation, and that the core is provided as open source can only be a plus. Keep up the good work.