HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Feedback for Discussion Polls

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Either hide it via CSS or make the translation be an empty string. Or both.

$Definition['Attach Poll'] = '<span class="Hidden">Attach Poll</span>';

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Ok, I hided it with the translation, it made the text "Attach Poll" go away, but the bulletin circle is still there.

• Options

Also, I just noticed now, by hiding the "Attach Poll", it hides it everywhere. So when I want to make a poll, it's hidden. I just want to make it not show up as an option when viewing my own threads.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

not show up as an option when viewing my own threads.

what about other people viewing their own threads?

this will hide the checkbox (all checkboxes in the post discussions). for all users. if another plugin comes along that has a checkbox it will be hidden as well.

add it to custom.css of your theme and mobile theme.

#vanilla_post_discussion .CheckBoxLabel {
    display:none;
    }

otherwise you need to write some jQuery or modify the plugin to check for SessionID being you.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

"what about other people viewing their own threads?"

It is same thing.

The code you posted only hides it from post creation (it is supposed to show in thread creation otherwise cannot make poll). When viewing the thread it does not hide it.

• Options
    GengGeng New
    edited November 2014

To plugin author, I think you should fix this when you get the chance.

Regarding the issue of the "Attach Poll" option showing up for everyone when viewing their own created threads. It will annoy people whenever they view their own thread and see the option show up when they have no desire for making a poll.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

@Geng said:
    "what about other people viewing their own threads?"

It is same thing.

The code you posted only hides it from post creation (it is supposed to show in thread creation otherwise cannot make poll). When viewing the thread it does not hide it.

@Geng said: Is it possible to remove the "Attach Poll" option that shows up when we view our own post? (not in post edit mode).

you said you wanted to hide it when posting (I thought), and make it visible when editing. it does that.

post multiple screenshots where you want to hide and where you want to display it. circle it and say whether you want it to show and where you want to hide it.

to me, this is esoteric minutiae one-off requests. but then again I'm not the author.

To plugin author, I think you should fix this for your next update.

Regarding the issue of the "Attach Poll" option showing up for everyone when viewing their own created >threads. It will annoy people whenever they view their own thread and see the option show up when they >have no desire for making a poll.

I bet he could do that if you made a donation. :) you are the first one to make that complaint in over 2,000 downloads.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

"Is it possible to remove the "Attach Poll" option that shows up when we view our own post? (not in post edit mode)."

No, the code does not remove the option when viewing own thread, only when making a new thread. I want the attach poll option to not show up when viewing your own thread. I still want the attach poll option to show when creating a thread. Sorry if confuse.

If still not clear enough then I can show pics.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

If still not clear enough then I can show pics.

I already said it wasn't clear. :) thats why I asked you to show pics.

"Is it possible to remove the "Attach Poll" option that shows up when we view our own post? (not in post edit mode)."

this worked for me...

it will remove it from the discussion page views for all users. if you manage polls, it will remove it as well for other people's discussions, but you can always edit discussion and add it there. and people posting discussions will see it as well.

change line 557

Anchor(T('Attach My Poll'), '/vanilla/post/editdiscussion/' . $Discussion->DiscussionID), 'li'), 'ul', array('id' => 'DP_Tools')

and add a definition to conf/locale.php

$Definition['Attach My Poll'] = '';

A bit of coercion:
    Time for community involvement (other than their own questions). how about adding to these, its not that difficult.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/28401/vanilla-awards-for-best-community-developed-plugin-theme-and-application

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/28420/faq-what-frequently-asked-questions-would-you-like-to-see-in-a-faq-help

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26703/plugins-themes-that-work-and-dont-work-in-vanilla-2-1

either way - back to hgtonight to handle as he wants if you don't have solution.

funny, it worked for me, when I tested it. After I see your post below. removed the other two methods because the translation modification was simplest.

• Options

Did not solve the problem, ty anyways.

• Options

@Geng said:
    To plugin author, I think you should fix this when you get the chance.

This is intended functionality.

Feel free to disable it on your end by following @peregrine‌'s instructions. :)

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

The intended functionality creates a negative user experience. But it's your plugin, do as you please.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

@Geng said:

also "Did not solve problem" is not very descriptive or helpful.

re: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/218967/#Comment_218967

provide images.

re-read

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/218966/#Comment_218966

• Options
    GengGeng New
    edited November 2014

What solution? I said I tried all of your suggestions which didn't work. I'm sure you saw my post.

Or they just never thought of it/cared to post about it. I put myself in the users shoes.

Actually I'm right on this being a negative user experience and anyone who thinks otherwise I dare you to backup your opinion. Just put your bias aside and think logically. User creates a thread (with no intention of it having a poll). Now every time said user views his own thread, he'll be greeted by the useless "Attach Poll" option when seeing his original post. Is this a positive, neutral, or negative experience? Depending on the persons annoyance tolerance, it might be neutral at first, but users will quickly grow tired of seeing that option whenever they view their own threads.

• Options
    GengGeng New
    edited November 2014

Ok saw you edit your post to tell me to re read your post. The author told me to do the same thing earlier. I already posted the problem with that if you scroll up - It hides the "Attach My Poll" text but the bulletin circle does not go away. So if there is a way to make said bulletin go away then this method would work.

edit: Found out how to remove the bulletin circles, remove the "li' and "ul" in Anchor(T('Attach My Poll'), '/vanilla/post/editdiscussion/' . $Discussion->DiscussionID), 'li'), 'ul', array('id' => 'DP_Tools'). So finally this is how to fix the problem.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@Geng said:

edit: Found out how to remove the bulletin circles, remove the "li' and "ul" in Anchor(T('Attach My Poll'), '/vanilla/post/editdiscussion/' . $Discussion->DiscussionID), 'li'), 'ul', array('id' => 'DP_Tools'). So finally this is how to fix the problem.

No, this is a way to create problems. You should not change the source code.

List elements can be styled and maybe you should do some research on CSS.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

Ok saw you edit your post to tell me to re read your post. The author told me to do the same thing earlier. I

Actually I told you something different. I changed the translation string and the definition.however you provided no screenshots to make it easy to help you.

distinction: translation for Attach Poll vs Attach My Poll - isolates the translation to the view vs edit and post page.

funny thing is, I asked the user to post screenshots , because the theme I was looking at doesn't have a bullet style for li.

And r_j is correct - you can easily style list elements. and child elements, etc.

you can only ask the same question a few times and if the poster isn't capable of providing the necessary info e.g. screenshots and description of problem, you just have to give up.

but one can only try to help people if they want to be helped and are capable of reading instructions.

However, op still needs to make a change in the source code in original plugin and fork his own by changing contents in T(), unless he clones the plugin and modifies method, or writes a jquery to isolate the translation to the views page and remove it with a find text and the parent, since Attach Poll is the same translation for the Edit and Post page with a check box and will be removed.

• Options

@Geng said:
    Actually I'm right on this being a negative user experience and anyone who thinks otherwise I dare you to backup your opinion. Just put your bias aside and think logically. User creates a thread (with no intention of it having a poll). Now every time said user views his own thread, he'll be greeted by the useless "Attach Poll" option when seeing his original post. Is this a positive, neutral, or negative experience? Depending on the persons annoyance tolerance, it might be neutral at first, but users will quickly grow tired of seeing that option whenever they view their own threads.

While I don't care for your adjective selection, I would prefer the Attach Poll option be moved to the cog menu in a future release. Send in a PR with this change and I will gladly update: https://github.com/hgtonight/Plugin-DiscussionPolls

Search first

• Options
    kopnakopna Coimbra Portugal ☯

Hi, noticed that the vote can not be removed after its creation. All relevant law established, but ... After you remove the Delete Poll page freezes. It is not clickable. Removal is not made. Vanilla 2.1.11 vanillaforums.org/addon/discussionpolls-plugin-1.2.3

• Options

Bonjour à tous,

Juste pour vous dire que j'ai traduis ce plugin en fr.
    Prendre le fichier definition.php situé dans warning/local/en-CA puis le coller à la racine de warning/locale
    Ensuite renommer le en fr.php
    Ouvrir fr.php et remplacer l'ensemble du code par celui-ci
    Voilou, le plugin est traduit ;)

<?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit();
    $Definition['Warning.AboutTo'] = 'Vous êtes sur le point de mettre un avertissement à {User.UserID,user}. Sélectionnez \'Aucun\' pour effacer un avertissement à l\'utilisateur actuel';
    $Definition['Warning.WarningType'] = 'Type d avertissement';
    $Definition['Mild'] = 'Légé';
    $Definition['Medium'] = 'Moyen';
    $Definition['Severe'] = 'Sevére';
    $Definition['Warning.Reason'] = 'Raison';
    $Definition['Warning.Warn'] = 'Prévenir';
    $Definition['Warning.Warning'] = 'Avertir';
    $Definition['Warning.GiveWarning'] = 'Donner avertissement';
    $Definition['Warning.Warnings'] = 'Avertissements';
    $Definition['Warning.NoWarnings'] = 'Il n y a pas de mises en garde actuelles pour cet utilisateur.';
    $Definition['Warning.ToggleHistory'] = 'Activer Historique';

$Definition['Warning.HeadlineMods'] ='{ActivityUserID,user} a été averti au niveau {Level}.';
    $Definition['Warning.HeadlineModsClear'] = '{ActivityUserID,user} was cleared of thier warning.';
    $Definition['Warning.HeadlineUser'] = 'Vous avez été averti au niveau {Level}.';
    $Definition['Warning.HeadlineUserClear'] = 'Votre avertissement vous a été retiré.';

$Definition['Warning.NotifyModsMsg'] = '{Name,text} a reçu un avertissement.

Warning Level : {Level,txt}

Reason: {Reason,text}';

$Definition['Warning.NotifyModsClearMsg'] = '{Name,text} has been cleared of current warnings.';

$Definition['Warning.NotifyUserMsg'] = 'Niveau d avertissement : {Level,text}

Raison: {Reason,text}

S il vous plaît essayer de respecter les règles.';

$Definition['Warning.NotifyUserClearMsg'] = 'Raison: {Reason,text}

S il vous plaît essayer de respecter les règles.';