Getting updated versions of addons in the .org directory

LincLinc Director of DevelopmentDetroit Vanilla Staff
edited November 2014 in Development

If there is an addon in the Addons repo that needs to be updated in the directory and you want me to upload the new version, this is what I need to know:

• Have you verified the new version works with the current open source release(s)?
  • Have you verified it doesn't introduce new issues?
  • Are you satisfied it's a worthwhile upgrade?

If two developers sign off on a plugin at a particular version, I'll download from GitHub and upload it to the directory. Please mention me after the second sign off.

R_JJasonBarnabephreaktester117

Comments

• Pockets 1.1.2

Have you verified the new version works with the current open source release(s)?

Pockets 1.1.2 works for me in Vanilla 2.1.5 (I don't have vanilla 2.0.18.x and did not test).

Have you verified it doesn't introduce new issues?

Haven't noticed any.

Are you satisfied it's a worthwhile upgrade?

Yes.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

BleistivtyeganehmoblNamaz_Sure
  • what's curious to me is no one is seconding this? Has anyone found a problem with pockets 1.1.2

or is it apathy?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• LincLinc Director of Development Detroit Vanilla Staff

To be fair, I don't think everyone checks in daily like we do. ;) Also, it suddenly becomes a little more time consuming to do things like this when it's you're responsibility to not mess it up. :)

• BleistivtBleistivt MVP
    edited November 2014

@Linc signing pockets. I haven't found issues too. It's probably the plugin that spawns the most "doesn't work"-threads, second to fileupload.

Unfortunately I can't sign fileupload, but maybe these changes could be merged into the 2.1 branch on github: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/28532/a-mod-to-file-upload-version-1-8-4-to-make-it-work-with-vanilla-2-1-5

If @peregrine doesn't want to do it, I will make a pull request for these changes.

My themes: pure | minusbaseline - My plugins: CSSedit | HTMLedit | InfiniteScroll | BirthdayModule | [all] - PM me about customizations

peregrine
  • peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

@Bleistivt said:

@Linc signing pockets. I haven't found issues too. It's probably the plugin that spawns the most "doesn't work"-threads, second to fileupload.

Unfortunately I can't sign fileupload, but maybe these changes could be merged into the 2.1 branch on github: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/28532/a-mod-to-file-upload-version-1-8-4-to-make-it-work-with-vanilla-2-1-5

If @peregrine doesn't want to do it, I will make a pull request for these changes.

@Bleistivt, thank you for verifying pockets.

regarding file upload, be my guest and feel free to file any pull requests. I , just made it so it doesn't crash, as far as test the feature - Added the ability to restrict file uploads per category. I didn't check that aspect of it, and it may not work. But the plugin works for uploading and downloading via role as it did before.

my computer connection - does not like pull requests.

• Q&A is another plugin that frequently needs user changes to make it work as well. I filed some issues, but no pull requests.

• Would be cool if someone could verify if this is correct:

https://github.com/vanilla/addons/pull/154

My themes: pure | minusbaseline - My plugins: CSSedit | HTMLedit | InfiniteScroll | BirthdayModule | [all] - PM me about customizations

peregrine
  • peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

Quotes 1.6.9 with markdown (and buttonbar plugin) appears to work (the same as on this forum) with vanilla 2.1.5, if someone wants to test other formats.

And since it has a security fix in 1.6.9 - it might be worth the effort to test and update the add-ons section when tested.

Bleistivt
  • As for QnA, @businessdad‌ has forked the addons repository and backported many plugins to work with 2.0.18, they might also work with 2.1:

https://github.com/daigo75/Addons/tree/Working_with_Vanilla_2.0.18.x/plugins/QnA

peregrine
  • JasonBarnabeJasonBarnabe Cynical Salamander ✭✭

@peregrine said:
    Quotes 1.6.9 with markdown (and buttonbar plugin) appears to work (the same as on this forum) with vanilla 2.1.5, if someone wants to test other formats.

And since it has a security fix in 1.6.9 - it might be worth the effort to test and update the add-ons section when tested.

I've found Quotes 1.6.8 (master before the XSS fix) on 2.1.5 works fine, with the exception of https://github.com/vanilla/addons/issues/152

Bleistivtperegrine
  • hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited November 2014

@Linc I am signing off on:

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

peregrine
  • peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

I would think

https://github.com/vanilla/locales/blob/master/tx-source/dash_core.php

https://github.com/vanilla/locales/blob/master/tx-source/site_core.php

could be added to baseline and baseline updated.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/baseline-locale

don't think it could break anything and would certainly be more up to date ;)

with a slight revamp to file names.

We should also make it clear that Baseline is not how to do language translation packs anymore, since we use Transifex for that. I could see it being used to build "styles" of languages or unofficial ones tho, so it still has utility.

It looks like Akismet 1.0.3 and SFS 1.0.1 are awaiting seconds.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@Linc can you technically update any addon ? Or should one simply fix them and change the names and then place the addon that did not work for 2.1 in the 2.0 addon archive ?

Some addons only need small stuff to work and it is a shame to leave them.

edited December 2014

I could, but I'm very reticent to do so. You'd need to contact the original author or fork the plugin as your own if the license allows. I have enough responsibility without taking on random plugins.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

@Linc said:
    I could, but I'm very reticent to do so. You'd need to contact the original author or fork the plugin as your own if the license allows. I have enough responsibility without taking on random plugins.

what about staff authors can you change plugins, by other staff members who don't seem to update their plugins in the add-ons section?

e.g.

Participated 1.1.0 from the Master addons.

be careful it is different then Participated 1.1.0 in the 2.1 github add-ons (no versioning update).

and still different from Participated 1.0.0 in the add-ons.

Participated 1.1.0 from master github addons - seems to work fine in Vanilla 2.1.6

it needs someone else to second, and jump through the hoop.

vrijvlinder

Oh for sure, if it's Todd/Tim/me, it's usually pretty arbitrary who "owns" it anyway. I really wish there was a "staff" setting for official ones like that.