HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How good is the Vanilla forum search?

I'm considering migrating my forum to Vanilla, but seeing how bad search is on another forum that uses it (v2.1.6), I'm a bit concerned:

http://forum.webix.com/search?Search=position+resize+flex - nothing useful on the first page of results. The post I was looking for had those keywords in the subject.

Imgur

https://www.google.com/search?q=position+resize+flex+site:forum.webix.com - the first result is what I'm looking for.

Imgur

What has your experience with Vanilla search been like? Is the Webix forum perhaps using it wrong?

If search isn't up to snuff, how difficult would it be to integrate another search engine?

Comments

• vanilla search works perfectly on my site and other vanilla sites i have tried.
    Also, I feel vanilla is the best forum solution for you. I HAVE HAD NO REGRETS USING IT

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

I strongly recommend investigating using the Sphinx integration. It really does wonders for the quality of results. The search limitations in default Vanilla are more a factor of what's possible with just MySQL, which isn't meant to be a search index.

• second sphinx search.

mysql isn't really cut out for search indexing.

grep is your friend.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I third Sphinx search. It is so much better than mysql fulltext search.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Has Sphinx been implemented in the meantime? I'm a user on a cloud-hosted Vanilla instance, and search there is terrible.

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff

@dandv search on hosted vanilla is changing dramatically within the next few months. I'd wager you'll be happier with it when that happens.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• manticore789manticore789 Down Under New

Sphinx doesn't work on shared Web hosting, I have a number of issues related to shared hosting I'm probably going to organise my own VPS.

• Does it work on cloud-hosted Vanilla instances? The search on forums.cronometer.com is atrocious.

• manticore789manticore789 Down Under New

@dandv, not sure mate. Someone else might have the answer.