HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.2 beta 1 is now available

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2015

@PFAFF said:
    What's the estimate for RC release, if any?

do you want an estimate or the actual date?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Well, seems like the actual date won't be known until it actually releases. So, I meant more of an estimate.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2015

PFAFF siad: Well, seems like the actual date won't be known until it actually releases. So, I meant more of an estimate.

same thing for estimate.

it was already stated in thread as "sometime in August", unless there is reason to believe that this estimate is slipping.

in this thread .... (projections)

first estimate was July. next estimate was sometime in August.

The law of estimates summarized below (for receivers of estimates):

The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men
    Gang aft agley,

best to be patient and wait till actual date then there is no guesswork and no disappointment.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Is there not a project manager who has a window projected for release? Or, is the core software a community project that is done whenever people contribute?

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

Wouldn't it be nice to have a bet where the winner gets something valuable to the community contributed by Vanilla? A plugin from the cloud version opened up or the right to name a plugin to be developed, or the right to pick one outstanding development item and make it #1 on the priority list, or the right to write his signature in his profile in this forum, or the right to post a question without stating his nilla version, what is the meaning of "it's broken" or any meaningful title, all the while without anyone jumping at him☺

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@rbrahmson said:
    the right to post a question without stating his nilla version, what is the meaning of "it's broken" or any meaningful title, all the while without anyone jumping at him☺

Feel free to do so whenever you want: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/30658

• Thanks for the info!

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

In retrospect, given the uninformative questions I see, I wonder whether everyone will understand that what I wrote was in humor..

• Why so serious? =)

@PFAFF said:
    Is there not a project manager who has a window projected for release? Or, is the core software a community project that is done whenever people contribute?

There is a company behind Vanilla but their business model does not depend on when to release the next OS version. So business needs may always overrule OS targets. That's why a prospected release date might change (that's what I guess).

@PFAFF said:
    Is there not a project manager who has a window projected for release? Or, is the core software a community project that is done whenever people contribute?

Actually this is a very valid question. Oftentimes companies are afraid of "commitments"... But I think an open source company should take it less rigidly, especially when it depends on the open community. So I concur that whoever fills the role of "product manager" should indeed provide periodic information about the progress (what's still outstanding, etc.)

Moreover, I've seen replies to various issues that say "this is probably fixed in 2.2", to which admins must weigh the likelihood that the next version will indeed be ready at a predicted date vs. trying to fix an issue themselves. So all in all, more metrics would help us see how close we are to the next version.

edited August 2015

@rbrahmson said:
    So all in all, more metrics would help us see how close we are to the next version.

You can read about that - guess where! ;)
    [spoiler]Here: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/231053/#Comment_231053
    [/spoiler]

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2015

@rbrahmson said:
    how close we are to the next version.
    should indeed provide periodic information about the progress

I fault the project manager for many things :winky: , but this is not one of them.

this was already addressed. it hasn't slipped yet, (it might, it hasn't) it is still August.

but who is going to stop refrigerator blindness. How many times must the same thing be said in the same discussion thread. If people choose not to read the discussion thread, or can't intui the information plainly given, whose fault is that???

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/232847/#Comment_232847
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/232892/#Comment_232892

I borrowed this image from r_j

• have a friend repeat this in a low voice as you stare at image below.

you are getting sleepy

you will read the entire discussion thread to glean the most information possible!

don't deprive yourself.

Sorry to disappoint the prevailing stereotype, I do know what was being posted officially on 2.2. I am reflecting the fact that given the number of questions there seems to be anxiety among the users of this forum about the date and I concurred that the product manager could communicate the information in a more visible way. Going elsewhere (Github) to find the answer is less visible than all the boxed messages that already surround this discussion.

Would it hurt to have a box on the top like this: (can be updated weekly):

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@rbrahmson said:
    Sorry to disappoint the prevailing stereotype, I do know what was being posted officially on 2.2. I am reflecting the fact that given the number of questions there seems to be anxiety among the users of this forum about the date and I concurred that the product manager could communicate the information in a more visible way. Going elsewhere (Github) to find the answer is less visible than all the boxed messages that already surround this discussion.

Would it hurt to have a box on the top like this: (can be updated weekly):

We could even code something like this via the community repo.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2015

We could even code something like this via the community repo.

surprised no one asked for an estimate on the estimate code.

• Hilarious.

@peregrine said:
    surprised no one asked for an estimate on the estimate code.

No need-everyone knows you could code it in one hour (probably less;-)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2015

While, I like your idea rbrahmson. It may allay the anxieties of a few people that share your desire. I don't think it would help me. Schedules slip. Estimates are just Estimates. When a release is released is sufficient for me. And to me it appears that people don't read messages anyway. Many times coding ideas, just remain coding ideas.

Well, I don't see it as coding ideas but ideas. I hope Vanilla's product managers will see that and take it into consideration. I mostly see this as related to various comments of the sort "will be fixed, or is fixed in the next version" which generate time-related anxiety. For all those who can't wait just for the sake of not being able to wait -- those probably don't have the patience to read messages anyway...

And by my estimate, we've spent more time in this discussion than it would take to do it. Roger and out.