HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.2 beta 1 is now available

Comments

• AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Headband Afficionado Cole Harbour, NS ✭✭✭

With all due respect, if I ever caught one of my kids pressing someone about something they were getting for free, they'd hear me say a few of The Words You're Not Supposed To Say. It's like the "don't complain about your leaders if you didn't vote" idea - either pitch in to help, or keep quiet and be happy to get what you get, when you get it.

That being said, @rbrahmson if you have been contributing to the development effort, my apologies.

It's possible that I'm missing something about the OS paradigm that renders my opinions incorrect, and I'm happy to hear it if so.

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

I don't know why I was jumped on just for making a suggestion I thought would reduce the number of "when will it come" posts. Those who know my environment from other posts know that I won't likely take 2.2 immediately anyway.

As for contributing, again, you may not be aware that I am not a developer, just an admin. And yet, with some volunteers help I managed to modify two plugins to add functionality, and write another from scratch (albeit with great guidance from @peregrine).

So what about contributing those three plugins? My experience is mixed here. I uploaded the first one (giving due credit to the original developer) I received a hint in a discussion that this is not welcome. I learned my lesson and did not upload the second one (though I think I would be helpful to others). I did upload the third one that was coded from scratch.

And on top of that mixed experience, I am learning that making suggestions in this forum is kind of risky. Some don't assume that it is done with good intentions and jump on you. Not worth it.

• Yeah, I kind of get jumping on someone for missing a post buried in a thread, but jumping on someone for making a suggestion as a potential solution to the former problem as kind of whack. This community seems small enough, I would hope it to be a little more tight-knit and friendlier than that.

And, if I saw my kids inquiring about something they got for free and obviously invested enough to participate in the community and offer suggestions / feedback, even if it wasn't the best, I'd buy them ice cream.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited August 2015

@rbrahmson said:
    A plugin from the cloud version opened up or the right to name a plugin to be developed, or the right to pick one outstanding development item and make it #1 on the priority list

I've worked here 4 years and I still can't do those things. :D

There's 1 serious bug left that makes it hard to install Vanilla on modern MySQL setups which is unacceptable. I think I have a handle on how to resolve it, but it'll probably take a full day of effort to fix that and finish the other tweaks for getting us to RC.

Internally, the dev team is a little snowed under with work at the moment. I'm working on getting things back on track, but currently things like "finish the RC for 2.2" keeps getting bumped from my sprints as critical items come in. We had a spate of security reports recently (cheers to @mtschirs for the help, more details soon) that have highlighted some things that need to get patched in 2.2 before it is released and I'm on the fence about how much more security auditing we should do before launching 2.2 at this point.

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015

First, thanks for the update.
    @Linc said:

... and I'm on the fence about how much more security auditing we should do before launching 2.2 at this point.

With my OTOJOO (all too often jumped on opinion) I would rather wait knowing security is addressed as fully as reasonably =) possible.

• Thanks for the update, @Linc!

@linc - Yea, while's true there are other forums where people are more accepting.

So far my contributions are:
    1. ProfilePrivacy
    2. CSSTweaks.

I have modified the following which I did not upload out of fear of being jumped on:
    1. AddMenu Item - Added another entry (sixth) and allowed the admin to select which entries are active on the desktop, which on mobile, and which are disabled.
    2. Spoiler - to change it to a "More..." functionality like WordPress. I believe you mentioned that in some distant future in some distant galaxy this would be implemented.

I also developed a very simple debugging function which I used in the development of ProfilePrivacy. The function is embedded in the plugin code and I use it whenever I change anything. I really don't know where it could be uploaded (it's not a plugin, after all).

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@rbrahmson Reading my encouragement as a critique & defending yourself is a pretty good example of what I was talking about. ;)

I thank you for the encouragement and don't see it as critique at all.

@rbrahmson my apologies, I took your tone the wrong way. When I read "Would it hurt to have a box on the top like this", as well as some other posts, they sounded complainy and ingrateful to me. But, as @Linc said, that's probably my own bias coming through (from this forum, as well as others) and I should have just shut the hell up about it. I'm pretty sure that was my first critical comment on here, and it'll hopefully be my last.

It sounds like you're a valuable asset to this community, and it certainly sounds like you have contributed more than I have. So please, stick around and don't take future criticism from idiots like myself personally.

Hi @AaronWebstey, don't worry, all forgotten. If you won't tell anyone I will admit that I am also human who sometimes exhibit thin skin...

Deal :)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2015

empath badges for you both. with a pic of Dr. spock on it.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

edited August 2015
    public function DiscussionController_PresudoProgrammer_Handler($Sender) {
          $IsTooLoud = Gdn::Session()->CheckAttitude('Vanilla.Forum.Yell'); 
           if (IsTooLoud ) return;                                         
            $Text = "No way!";
             $Url = "yourforum/entry/signin?Target=entry/signofut";
            echo '<span class="drop50"><a title="'.T($Text).'" href="'.$Url.'"><span class="bigicon">$pushup</span></a></span>';
         }

• +1 Fresh install Redirection looping :-( running on Linux, Apache 2.4.9, MySQL 5.5.42, PHP 5.4.27

I don't know if AcceptPathInfo is enabled on my webhost (even if I don't know if it's the reason ;-) in fact...)

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@Pamela You've confirmed you updated the .htaccess file?

• Thank you @Linc for your support... my English sucks, sorry (downloaded 2.2b1 from repository)

1st attempt... native 2.2b1 .htaccess
    NB: I 've updated RewriteBase (/forum) only, because files 're stored on subdomain.example.net/forum/

2d attempt... empty or older .htaccess file (from 2.2.5, our current version), then I see web installer page, it seems right... with-out URL rewriting

3rd attempt... added AcceptPathInfo On to native 2.2b1 .htaccess (at the top, I don't know if it's the best place),
    Tried because my web host said than it's not enabled by default (mavenhosting.com)

(1) (3) The page isn't redirecting properly (firefox),

PS: Not sure if this AcceptPathInfo is enabled correctly ;-) but voilà... do you need more info about it, my server' config ?

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@Pamela check your Vanilla config to make sure RewriteUrls is enabled.