Preview release: 2.4 beta
Major new features:
- Dashboard redesigned from the ground up.
- Added "Flat categories" - a new Vanilla-exclusive feature.
- Full IPv6 support.
- Support for Twitter cards.
- OAuth 2.0 basic addon support.
We also made hundreds of enhancements and fixes over the last 9 months.
Here's a few highlights of what's been upgraded under the hood:
- Rebuilt our category management system to scale to tens of thousands of categories.
- Rebuilt our permissions system to scale to thousands of custom permissions.
- Dependencies rebuilt using Composer. (We are removing
/library/vendors/* by 2.5.)
- Major overhauls to the addon manager and dispatcher. Faster and easier to use.
- Tagging and the MediaModel were added to core.
- Upgraded PHPMailer and Smarty (from 2.0 to 3.1!).
- Refactored our password management into separate dependencies.
- Move transient key checking to cookies.
- Replace "Hide Category" with "Mute Category" option (that only hides from Recent Discussions).
Important warnings for developers & site owners:
- Smarty 3.1 can be more strict. It may generate an error on invalid markup that Smarty 2.0 would have let slide.
- The new addon caching system means you need to manually delete
/cache/* when changing what themes or plugins are available on your site. We are working on a better way of handling this, hopefully before final release.
- The new categories system may have unexpected results in page layout if you didn't specify a "Display As" setting for all your categories. If your homepage has weird issues, try editing your categories and checking this setting.
- Plugins with settings pages need to be updated for the new Dashboard. They're gonna look real bad until then.
- UPDATE: You need to delete these:
applications/vanilla/views/settings (entire folder). Symptom will be the new dashboard not working correctly. (And high five to @R_J for catching this in the comments below).
Release timeline estimate:
March or April 2017.
Vanilla 2.5 is expected in late 2017. It will require PHP 5.6 and will include a new internal API.