Vanilla 2.6 is here
! It includes security fixes and requires PHP 7.0. We have therefore ALSO released Vanilla 2.5.2
with security patches if you are still on PHP 5.6 to give you additional time to upgrade.
Preview release: 2.4 beta
Major new features:
- Dashboard redesigned from the ground up.
- Added "Flat categories" - a new Vanilla-exclusive feature.
- Full IPv6 support.
- Support for Twitter cards.
- OAuth 2.0 basic addon support.
We also made hundreds of enhancements and fixes over the last 9 months.
Here's a few highlights of what's been upgraded under the hood:
- Rebuilt our category management system to scale to tens of thousands of categories.
- Rebuilt our permissions system to scale to thousands of custom permissions.
- Dependencies rebuilt using Composer. (We are removing
/library/vendors/* by 2.5.)
- Major overhauls to the addon manager and dispatcher. Faster and easier to use.
- Tagging and the MediaModel were added to core.
- Upgraded PHPMailer and Smarty (from 2.0 to 3.1!).
- Refactored our password management into separate dependencies.
- Move transient key checking to cookies.
- Replace "Hide Category" with "Mute Category" option (that only hides from Recent Discussions).
Important warnings for developers & site owners:
- Smarty 3.1 can be more strict. It may generate an error on invalid markup that Smarty 2.0 would have let slide.
- The new addon caching system means you need to manually delete
/cache/* when changing what themes or plugins are available on your site. We are working on a better way of handling this, hopefully before final release.
- The new categories system may have unexpected results in page layout if you didn't specify a "Display As" setting for all your categories. If your homepage has weird issues, try editing your categories and checking this setting.
- Plugins with settings pages need to be updated for the new Dashboard. They're gonna look real bad until then.
- UPDATE: You need to delete these:
applications/vanilla/views/settings (entire folder). Symptom will be the new dashboard not working correctly. (And high five to @R_J for catching this in the comments below).
Release timeline estimate:
March or April 2017.
Vanilla 2.5 is expected in late 2017. It will require PHP 5.6 and will include a new internal API.